Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tim Vickerey has watched Funes Mori play far more games than 99% of us. It's more than bit kopite to start bashing him because he isn't convinced by a player we are only rumoured to be interested in, not least when half of us have decided that we shouldn't even want him based entirely on random twitter creations slagging him off. That said, if we do get him, we'll be doing so based much less on what he has done so far, and much more on what we think he could become. So what Vickery or anyone else says who's describing his performances to date isn't necessarily relevant to that. We are very cautious with our transfers, and we wouldn't be anywhere close to a move like this if our talent evaluators hadn't identified something that they really like about him. Given the track record finding and developing Jagielka, Lescott, Coleman, Stones, Galloway et al, they at least deserve the benefit of the doubt.
Not sure the current scouts can be credited with those. Kevin Reeves is our chief scout now who has apparently recommended we sign Mori.

Wasn't Reeves brought in by Martinez who had him at Wigan?

Depending on what the actual state of the club's finances are, I kind of want to see them roll the dice on a high risk, high reward player. Someone like Viktor Fischer at Ajax who hasn't been able to stay fit (I know, crazy given our own issues).

The more I ask economists and financial analysts, the more I'm convinced those types of potential bargains won't exist in the future.

okay just watched pretty much the whole match with him.

Heres my conclusion, unbiased.

He is a diamond in the rough, he has some very very good traits and he does seem overall a good defender.

BUT he is going to be a project for sure, i think working alongside jagielka and stones and playing against lukaku etc will be very very beneficial for him but he's going to need time.

Pros -

Very brave, he will go in for anything even if he gets hurt.

Good tackler, he's strong in the tackle and seems pretty good at it

Speed over 5-10 yards, although he's not blistering or anything he does have pace, if he makes a mistake (go onto that in a minute) he seems to be able to catch up and get back into a good position quickly.

Cons -

He doesn't have many cons that i've seen but he does have one big one, he can be a bit clumsy / has a lapse in concentration which can be coached out of him, but in the game it did lead to one or two mistakes but he managed to correct himself and sort it out.

Positionally inconsistent - Although most of the time his position is very good, and he is always aware of the player he is marking and where he is, he does sometimes seem to get dragged out of it, but again that can be coached.

Overall i think he'd be worth the investment, i do think he could make it in the premier league, and especially at us where we will give him time and have two great defenders he can learn from.

Although before i said he is brave, he is more of a sweeper defender from what i saw, he will allow the other player to go forward to win the first ball, and if he doesn't he'll clear it up.

That's not to say he isn't good in the air, because from what i saw he is quite good in the air too.

upload_2015-8-18_15-36-47.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back