Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll end up with Jonny Evans. Convinced he's coming here after United sign another centre back

I reckon there's also a good chance I'm the only member of the forum who'd be fairly happy with that (assuming a sensible price).

Evans has managed to look a decent player for most of his senior career, but he's had superstars all around him for the majority. Whenever he hasn't had a Vidic or Ferdinand next to him he's tended to look poor, and we don't have center backs of that calibre.

Like several other players who were able to win titles under Ferguson but looked poo under any other manager (Sharpe, Butt, O'Shea, Brown, Phil Neville) I fear he'd be wrong for us. Even then though, as a back-up option we could do worse.

He actually ticks more or less all the boxes

He's a left-sided centre back, 27, loads of Premier League experience and he's very comfortable on the ball, which is important to Martinez.

My only real criticism of him is that I've seen him bullied a few times, particularly when he hasn't got a "leader" next to him.

I suppose a naturally left-footed player would have been preferable, but I'm convinced that while he wasn't maybe the first choice, he's the one we'll end up with after other deals are done to make way for it. Based on nothing other than a gut feeling.

Also think he's under-rated, but I reckon I could be in the huge minority on that
Well put mate.

Evans has managed to look a decent player for most of his senior career, but he's had superstars all around him for the majority. Whenever he hasn't had a Vidic or Ferdinand next to him he's tended to look poor, and we don't have center backs of that calibre.

Like several other players who were able to win titles under Ferguson but looked poo under any other manager (Sharpe, Butt, O'Shea, Brown, Phil Neville) I fear he'd be wrong for us. Even then though, as a back-up option we could do worse.
Good points, but I think it's a bit harsh on Butt.

Alright, we don't have a Vidic or a Ferdinand, who are both arguably in the top 5 centre backs of the Premier League era, but Jags and Stones are both extremely good players. My worry isn't so much the quality of the centre back next to him, more that (to my uneducated eyes at least), it seems like he's needed a "leader" next to him for him to look good. Jags might fit that role, but I can't see Stones being ideal for it (as brilliant as he is)

Johnny Evans is an upgrade on Alcaraz and Distin (14/15). Evans would not be first choice and so i have no problem with it.

Johnny Evans is an upgrade on Alcaraz and Distin (14/15). Evans would not be first choice and so i have no problem with it.
Could also be cover for right back should Seamus get a knock, correct? I wouldn't spend much on him, but he's not the worst option in the world if he did come in.

He was superb in 2 loan spells with us mind he did have Nyron alongside him :cool:

Shouldn't a 'cover' CB cost >3M? Dann, Evans, why would they want to warm a bench? why would we want to pay more than 3M for an insurance policy. Surely some up and coming Championship CB or a journeyman the likes of Distin is more the mark?
Dann is captain. He wouldnt.
But Evans knows he's days with ManU are numbered. With us he could leghten his career in top level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back