Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
McAleny is not a lead the line striker. We are not likely to find a first class striker who wants to come here cheaply and wait for Rom to get injured (inevitable). so if we buy a back up striker they will be A Kone quality. By far the best solution is a loan striker and would preserve our cash for the mythical playmaker.

McAleny is not a lead the line striker. We are not likely to find a first class striker who wants to come here cheaply and wait for Rom to get injured (inevitable). so if we buy a back up striker they will be A Kone quality. By far the best solution is a loan striker and would preserve our cash for the mythical playmaker.

Which is why we need a young striker, someone like James Wilson.

Van Dijk isn't who we should be looking for either. Not as a replacement or even as a back up player. Its been said before i know but he plays in a very average league and when up against any decent team, he gets found out. There is better out there and cheaper too....

Infact, i wouldn't even look at signing any defenders at this point. I like the look of the lads coming through and think they could save us a few bob. We should be concentrating on further up the field with whatever money we have available.

We went through this the other day didnt we ?

Apparently Valencia want rid of Negredo and would loan him, he'd be ideal.

To me he's not even a proper striker at all, but I suppose that proves your point as well.

It depends on confident Martinez is of Browning/Galloway being good enough to be 'third choice' centre back. If Stones does go, and he is confident in that pair, then we only need one top class centre back. We then have four CBs for a domestic season without european distractions.

It's not just about whether Browning and Galloway are deemed to be ready though. At their ages, they need to be playing regular competitive football in order to continue their development. However the third and fourth CBs in the squad aren't actually going to play much unless we either:
a) start playing a back three (no thanks) or
b) adopt a full rotation policy for our CBs

Short term, it would be great if they were both ready but to keep them on the bench here for long periods would actually harm us long-term. I would rather see an experienced loan come in, allowing one of our youngsters to go out on loan in turn. If Stones goes we absolutely would have to bring in an experienced defender in the 23 to 27 year old age bracket.

Might be worth the risk to just go with those four and spend the money elsewhere, i.e. a quality striker, a creative midfielder.

30m would get us a starting XI striker, creative midfielder and centre back easy, plus a half decent CB on loan.
Rom cost us £28m. Benteke went for £32m. Some of the figures bandied about this week have shown that the market price is generally going up in all positions. £30m might now only get us two starting 11 standard players, and even then they are more likely to be the less "flash" positions like GK and defender. I think we need to be looking at loans for any position where we already have youngsters who might make the grade in 18 months if they spend the next year out on loan somewhere now.

Then our squad is sorted like.

Be nice to get rid of all of the deadwood that is currently taking home about 200k a week in wages despite literally never, ever playing a game.
McGeady and Kone, definately. Perhaps also Pienaar, Barry and Gibson because, due to either age or persistent injury, their future contributions are likely to be limited.

McGeady and Kone, definately. Perhaps also Pienaar, Barry and Gibson because, due to either age or persistent injury, their future contributions are likely to be limited.

How much resale value do you think they have? Obviously the longer term benefits would be seen from the saving in their wages, but you cant just ditch 5 (7 if you add Distin and Alcatraz into that mix) and not replace them; the quandry then is do you replace like for like in terms of positions, if so, the quality you are likely to get from the transfer money generated and the savings in wages is gone before you realise. Catch22 situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back