Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting vibes that the opening game against Watford could be similar to the Blackburn one a few years ago. Only swap Baxter for Dowell.

Keep Dowell under wraps for as long as possible. One decent game vs Dundee hardly makes him 1st team saviour.

And as for Baxter, look how that worked out.

Was that Blackburn game the one with the pink kit for the first time and a massive clanger from Howard ??

Edit: Though now I see that Dowell isnt in the U21 squad tonight.

Keep Dowell under wraps for as long as possible. One decent game vs Dundee hardly makes him 1st team saviour.

And as for Baxter, look how that worked out.

Was that Blackburn game the one with the pink kit for the first time and a massive clanger from Howard ??

Edit: Though now I see that Dowell isnt in the U21 squad tonight.

Nah it was the 3-2 loss at Goodison. Though tbh I think if anything it'll be like the QPR game at home in 2011. Barkley made his debut and we lost 1-0; lovely stuff.

Fume machine ON.

Is this transfer window a joke or what? I mean, they have already been quite frustrating under Moyes, but we're seemingly very inactive in trying to address the issues that are very clear in this squad. We currently have two nominal CBs, one of which is still very doubtful whether he'll still be with us at the beginning of September. Seriously, what are we waiting for? Are we really contemplating buying this 16 year old from City?
Problem no. 2: wingers. Let's see... we have Deulofeu who's not match fit and his fitness is doubtful. We have Mirallas who doesn't seem to be a starter for Bobby lately and wants to leave anyway. And the others... Pienaar who sprains his ankle even when getting up from the couch, McGeady who has absolutely nothing to do in the Barclays Premier League, Osman and Naisy aren't really wingers, are they, neither is Barkel. And that was it!
Whereas we could set up a full team of central midfielders... not to mention we are one Seamus Coleman injury away from seeing Hibbert on the pitch and one Lukaku injury away from seeing that lummox Koné... and then I see that players like Franco di Santo, who carried Werder Bremen back from the relegation zone to mid table on his shoulders and scored many important goals signs for 6 million euros to Schalke, good age, big, strong striker who we could surely have afforded and has already played in England or a Carlos Zambrano who is a very capable Bundesliga defender also at a very good age with only one year left on his contract, looking for a bigger club than Frankfurt... I just don't think we are sending scouts away from England really, these could be great swoops for a financially limited club like us and we're letting them slip from our hands...
Bobby mate, you cannot be serious in thinking that players like McAleny, Galloway and Henen will keep us in the league...

It does seem that some fans are more concerned with the spend rather than the quality of players that are being signed. If we had spent £15 million on Cleverly and Deulofeu, would that be better since we'd be further up the "spending tables" that everyone likes to point to? Of course not.

On the other hand, I love seeing the mid-sized and smaller teams splashing the cash on some of the absolute dross that is available. Every single window, some fans get worked up about (insert random player here) that the likes of the Stokes and West Broms and Norwichs of the world are signing, because they're "showing more ambition," whatever that means. Funny how a year or two later, nobody remembers any of those players' names and some of those teams have since been relegated.

Despite the underachievement in the league last season, we have a pretty strong starting 11. It's not going to be that easy to instantly improve the starting places. Realistically I'd say that the playmaker position and one of the wingers would be the only areas we're possibly going to be able to improve right away with a signing.

We've got good youth coming in that can surely fill some of the spots on the bench. This is the problem with English football. This is how Germany succeeds. You all are saying that we need a foreign buy. I believe we do also- but how will
We know if one our players is a star in the making if he doesn't play? We need to give youth a chance- players like Coleman only got in because we didn't have enough players for that position ( plus an injury). What if we are secretly holding another player like Coleman or Rodwell or even a Rooney but the only reason they aren't playing is because we're spending the money on some foreign lad who probably doesn't give two s**ts about the club?

All true mate. I would love Pienaar (I refrain from calling him Peanuts as it grates on me) to be fully fit this season and have one last "hurrah" but I can only see him spending longer and longer in the treatment room at FF. The memories of him at his best for us shouldnt cloud the fact that he is now well past his best and has zero in terms of resale.

The same can't be said for Gibson or McGeady. I genuinely believe that Gibson when fit is a brilliant player. Again the doubts over his long term fitness are well documented, if we were to sell which I dont think we should at this stage maybe a Watford, Bournemouth or Sunderland would pay something for him. McGeady however would probably fetch the highest amount in fees. Again Sunderland or Celtic or clubs akin to them might be interested. Who really knows. Wouldnt sell Barry, he'll be gone this time next year and his fitness isnt questionable, so for this year I would take the hit - and I dont think he's as bad as some make out.

Kone, pfffft ! Who knows ??

The Patriots model is interesting, as are other NFL models to be honest, but agree that once zenith has been reached and nadir is approaching like a steamtrain then some number cruncher "could" be employed to assist the club in suggesting when to let them go - it will happen in football in the next few years, its inevitable.

As for the youth players I think that the mix needs to be handled properly, we dont have the Class of 92 at our disposal, I think Barkley and Galloway and Garbutt have potential, Ledson, Browning and Dowell also to a lesser extent then you have Pennington, Brewster, Duffus and Kenny but out of those 10, who will genuinely take us to the next level? I would get a nucleus of very good players, which I believe then first eleven truly is - then embrace the youth policy. That however does not factor injuries and stupid bids from bankrolled clubs of course !!

Sorry about me - got carried away there !
Fume machine ON.

Is this transfer window a joke or what? I mean, they have already been quite frustrating under Moyes, but we're seemingly very inactive in trying to address the issues that are very clear in this squad. We currently have two nominal CBs, one of which is still very doubtful whether he'll still be with us at the beginning of September. Seriously, what are we waiting for? Are we really contemplating buying this 16 year old from City?
Problem no. 2: wingers. Let's see... we have Deulofeu who's not match fit and his fitness is doubtful. We have Mirallas who doesn't seem to be a starter for Bobby lately and wants to leave anyway. And the others... Pienaar who sprains his ankle even when getting up from the couch, McGeady who has absolutely nothing to do in the Barclays Premier League, Osman and Naisy aren't really wingers, are they, neither is Barkel. And that was it!
Whereas we could set up a full team of central midfielders... not to mention we are one Seamus Coleman injury away from seeing Hibbert on the pitch and one Lukaku injury away from seeing that lummox Koné... and then I see that players like Franco di Santo, who carried Werder Bremen back from the relegation zone to mid table on his shoulders and scored many important goals signs for 6 million euros to Schalke, good age, big, strong striker who we could surely have afforded and has already played in England or a Carlos Zambrano who is a very capable Bundesliga defender also at a very good age with only one year left on his contract, looking for a bigger club than Frankfurt... I just don't think we are sending scouts away from England really, these could be great swoops for a financially limited club like us and we're letting them slip from our hands...
Bobby mate, you cannot be serious in thinking that players like McAleny, Galloway and Henen will keep us in the league...
Jesus.

Loving these Sky Sports News headlines.

"Bournemouth have spent more than Everton" "They need the Stones money"

There's a whole month left in the window FFS

We've got good youth coming in that can surely fill some of the spots on the bench. This is the problem with English football. This is how Germany succeeds. You all are saying that we need a foreign buy. I believe we do also- but how will
We know if one our players is a star in the making if he doesn't play? We need to give youth a chance- players like Coleman only got in because we didn't have enough players for that position ( plus an injury). What if we are secretly holding another player like Coleman or Rodwell or even a Rooney but the only reason they aren't playing is because we're spending the money on some foreign lad who probably doesn't give two s**ts about the club?

Said it before though mate, for every Rooney there is a Jeffers/Jevons or Cadamarteri. No risk can be taken solely with youth these days, the financial implications are too high - have a look for a book called Soccernomics by Simon Kuper, highlights matters such as this in there. Good holiday read !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back