Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question mate - how many seasons do you thinks Jags has left making 40+ starts at Prem level? I reckon that (barring any serious injury) he's got two seasons at his current standard, one at a slight drop off and then one where he will show substantial decline.

Galloway and Browning are not the right partners for Stones quite yet - both could do with going out on loan and getting regular starts in order to push their development. Sitting on the bench for us and getting ten minutes once every five or six games for the next two years is not the way to maximise their development.

So I think we should be looking for someone around the 23 to 26 years old range, who could come in and make 20 starts a season if injury to Stones or Jags necessitated it. And wouldn't it be a good idea for that incoming player to be approaching the standard good enough to ease Jags out of the starting lineup in the next two to three years? I don't see the point in waiting until it becomes urgent.

For the next couple of seasons at least it will John Stones not Phil Jagielka who will need taking out of the team for a rest.
Jagielka is a battle hardened experienced professional who can play week after week.
John Stones, is a tall gangly young man who will be under severe scrutiny in every game he plays for all sorts of reasons, he is the player that may occasionally need to be given a rest to refresh his batteries.

Indeed, depth is the problem, specifically the quality of depth.

There is quite a big difference between:

Howard/Robles
Baines
Coleman
Jags
Stones
McCarthy
Cleverley
Barkley
Mirallas
Deulofeu
Lukaku

and

Howard/Robles
Ovideo
Hibbert*
Browning
Galloway
Besic
Gibson
Naismith
Pienaar*
McGeady
Kone

We have some good players in the latter but on the whole these two teams would end up in very different places over the course of a season.

*RIP

The Mail linking us with a move for River Plate player Tomas Andrade.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...tml?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490
OH HELLO
image.webp

Indeed, depth is the problem, specifically the quality of depth.

There is quite a big difference between:

Howard/Robles
Baines
Coleman
Jags
Stones
McCarthy
Cleverley
Barkley
Mirallas
Deulofeu
Lukaku

and

Howard/Robles
Ovideo
Hibbert*
Browning
Galloway
Besic
Gibson
Naismith
Pienaar*
McGeady
Kone

We have some good players in the latter but on the whole these two teams would end up in very different places over the course of a season.

*RIP
RIP Gareth Barry also. Poor fella can't even displace a one-legged Gibson

Not going to get my hopes up about Nolito, unless he's had a massive change of heart can't see him moving to the UK
http://www.theguardian.com/football...ro-luis-suarez-lionel-messi-barcelona-la-liga
Perhaps the surprise is that he is still there at all. In the summer, there was the chance to go to England; a huge contract was placed before him. “So why didn’t you?” Nolito was asked this during an interview on Al Primer Toque radio show last week. “Because it’s cold, it rains a lot and the food’s bad,” he replied. “Besides,” he added, “I’m happy here. Why would I change? I earn enough money. My family is poor [originally], I’m poor [originally], and I’m happy with what I’ve got. What do I need more for? Greed rips the bag.”

He sounds a bit like a wonderkid who stalled in his development, as he was linked with just about everyone 2 years ago but has yet to make his debut in first team football. A quick google shows he is being touted around by River Plate for £3m with Marseille linked.

Still he did play really well against us in the Dallas Cup a few months ago so there might be something in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back