Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fellaini at Man U.
He had a bit more money in fairness to make mistakes and a lot more pressure.

Speaking of pressure I think Martinez knows this is it. He won't get another season with Stones and Rom or the fans if this season isn't a success. If he doesn't make progress this year then we'll be rebuilding again.

The bigger point if Austin goes ahead and I don't think Martinez is going to spend 15m on a backup.

Our style will have to go back to a traditional 4-4-2 and with our wingers (and Lennon), our strikers in Rom and now Austin who both suit that style and our center midfielders especially Barkley he would be actually picking a formation that suits the players we have.:dance:

If Martinez plays 442 with two wingers and Barkley in the central midfield then I'll be very very surprised. I'm banking on as many defensive miss as possible in a formation with Lukaku on the wing.

This.

It's very much a Moyes type signing though.
Yeah and you know what, that isn't a bad thing. We need someone who throws himself at things and does the dirty stuff up top, Naismith has tried, succeeded at times but he's not at our challenging for Europe level imo. Lukaku will thrive with Austin, he did with Kone up top. Bloody Kone! Refusing to get excited just yet though.

Austin has played for a few sides and scores over a goal every two games whilst beattie was a 1 in 3 man for southampton (signed from blackburn but not a first teamer).

So this shows i think he scores wherever he plays...the risk as always is whether he can do it for us but it seems he can based on his record,just depends if hes a one season wonder which it doesnt look like so much because he seems to be an all rounder...from the little ive seen of him.

His goals seem to be a bit like Kevin Campbell with a few Jeffers poachers there also. Those goals come from positioning of course.

Yes it's an interesting comparison. Austin scoring rate was much better than Beattie's barring 1 season. When we signed Beattie he had only 1 season where he got 15+ league goals. Austin has scored more than 15 goals in 5 of his last 6 season. However this is including League 1 (for one season) and the championship (for 4 seasons).

Having watched them both I am more optimistic about Austin than I ever felt about Beattie. I'm not sure if thats just down to ability, I just think Austin suits our style a bit more than what Beattie did at the time. Beattie was a big poacher type playing for a side as a loan striker who needed a striker to work tirelessly into the channels. It was a bad fit.

Austin feels like a good fit. He's a big lad who will score more "scruffy" goals than Lukaku. He will also help us defending and attacking set plays. Finally he will do a lot of things that Lukaku finds difficult, holding the ball up, bringing others into play and occupying the centre halves.

I think people have to get out of the mindset that we are definitely playing 4-2-3-1. I suspect we will play 4-3-3 more this season, at times with 3 central midfielders who are defense minded. That will allow for 3 attacking players. Austin can play centrally and potentially give Lukaku more of a free reign to run in behind fullbacks and not get bogged down with two oil centre halves bullying him.

When push comes to shove we need a boost. I think Austin is a better around player and goal scorer than Beattie and I think will help Lukaku. We all know we need a number 10. At present those players may not be available. If Stones goes, we may need to wait a year or so to finally fill the position and muster through for another season with Osman.

I've been busy today. Is there anything credible about this austin rumour or not? From what I've seen people are just basing this on odds changing.

Yeah and you know what, that isn't a bad thing. We need someone who throws himself at things and does the dirty stuff up top, Naismith has tried, succeeded at times but he's not at our challenging for Europe level imo. Lukaku will thrive with Austin, he did with Kone up top. Bloody Kone! Refusing to get excited just yet though.

Spot on, Austin will be very good at the dirty work that doesn't suit Lukaku at present. It will allow Lukaku to focus on developing his strengths. His pace in behind and attacking intent, and not ruling on him to be a focale point of our attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back