Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, in fairness to Martinez his "bad" transfers haven't been financially costly. They've just turned out to be poop players. Whilst that has had a negative impact on the field, at least we are financially in a position to recover and move on.

Alcaraz for instance was a good move in balance sheet terms, because he cost nothing and is reputed to be on a lower wage than Heitinga was. In fact, didn't we get a fee for Heitinga?

think it's a tad harsh to criticize him for kone as well. that injury as soon as he came here ruined him really.

Either give constructive criticism or don't criticise at all.

1 - Galloway and Browning have looked capable when given time with the first team. For third-choice CBs, they're fine, and they'll have to get thrown into the deep end eventually. No one is suggesting a CB trio of Jags-Galloway-Browning, and Martinez continually states he's trying to get a veteran defender in (as well as hold onto Stones).

2 - The 16-year old CB from City would play for the U18 and U21 sides. Thinking Everton want him to take Stones' place is foolishness.

3 - Mirallas and Deulofeu are fine as far as wingers go. Mirallas may not be happy, but he always plays hard. Deulofeu should be ready sometime in August, possibly for the first match. Depth isn't great, but there's only so much the club are able to fix at the moment.

4 - Outside of the Barcelonas, Bayerns and Chelseas, key injuries to top players will have a major impact on any club. As for Coleman specifically, Browning is likely to be his backup.

5 - How did Henen even enter the conversation? Not only has he not been involved with the first team during preseason (unlike Dowell, Ledson and Pennington), the club have stated they'd like for him to go out on loan this season. As for McAleny and Galloway, they're squad players who have looked good in preseason. Even Messi had to make his debut as an unknown quantity at the senior level. Don't write players off because they're "unproven."

Fume machine ON.

Is this transfer window a joke or what? I mean, they have already been quite frustrating under Moyes, but we're seemingly very inactive in trying to address the issues that are very clear in this squad. We currently have two nominal CBs, one of which is still very doubtful whether he'll still be with us at the beginning of September. Seriously, what are we waiting for? Are we really contemplating buying this 16 year old from City?
Problem no. 2: wingers. Let's see... we have Deulofeu who's not match fit and his fitness is doubtful. We have Mirallas who doesn't seem to be a starter for Bobby lately and wants to leave anyway. And the others... Pienaar who sprains his ankle even when getting up from the couch, McGeady who has absolutely nothing to do in the Barclays Premier League, Osman and Naisy aren't really wingers, are they, neither is Barkel. And that was it!
Whereas we could set up a full team of central midfielders... not to mention we are one Seamus Coleman injury away from seeing Hibbert on the pitch and one Lukaku injury away from seeing that lummox Koné... and then I see that players like Franco di Santo, who carried Werder Bremen back from the relegation zone to mid table on his shoulders and scored many important goals signs for 6 million euros to Schalke, good age, big, strong striker who we could surely have afforded and has already played in England or a Carlos Zambrano who is a very capable Bundesliga defender also at a very good age with only one year left on his contract, looking for a bigger club than Frankfurt... I just don't think we are sending scouts away from England really, these could be great swoops for a financially limited club like us and we're letting them slip from our hands...
Bobby mate, you cannot be serious in thinking that players like McAleny, Galloway and Henen will keep us in the league...

I was listening until you said Franco Di Santo. Sorry mate, just no. Kone kept him out of the Wigan team, just let that sink in.

Fume machine ON.

Is this transfer window a joke or what? I mean, they have already been quite frustrating under Moyes, but we're seemingly very inactive in trying to address the issues that are very clear in this squad. We currently have two nominal CBs, one of which is still very doubtful whether he'll still be with us at the beginning of September. Seriously, what are we waiting for? Are we really contemplating buying this 16 year old from City?
Problem no. 2: wingers. Let's see... we have Deulofeu who's not match fit and his fitness is doubtful. We have Mirallas who doesn't seem to be a starter for Bobby lately and wants to leave anyway. And the others... Pienaar who sprains his ankle even when getting up from the couch, McGeady who has absolutely nothing to do in the Barclays Premier League, Osman and Naisy aren't really wingers, are they, neither is Barkel. And that was it!
Whereas we could set up a full team of central midfielders... not to mention we are one Seamus Coleman injury away from seeing Hibbert on the pitch and one Lukaku injury away from seeing that lummox Koné... and then I see that players like Franco di Santo, who carried Werder Bremen back from the relegation zone to mid table on his shoulders and scored many important goals signs for 6 million euros to Schalke, good age, big, strong striker who we could surely have afforded and has already played in England or a Carlos Zambrano who is a very capable Bundesliga defender also at a very good age with only one year left on his contract, looking for a bigger club than Frankfurt... I just don't think we are sending scouts away from England really, these could be great swoops for a financially limited club like us and we're letting them slip from our hands...
Bobby mate, you cannot be serious in thinking that players like McAleny, Galloway and Henen will keep us in the league...

i'm not sure i've seen drivel this bad in my time on GOT. jesus nelly. You do realise it's not martinez' fault that he/any everton manager can't actually buy 2 or 3 good players for every single position and just release half the players you mention who aren't good enough. what you're suggestion is about £100m+ of a rebuilding job.

you seem to have made up half of the stuff and the last line is just mystifying If you're going into this season worrying about getting relegated then i feel sorry for you.

Fume machine ON.

1. Who?
2. WHO?
3. They wont keep us in the league. They'll rarely play.

Apart from that good work massaging the word lummox into your post, for that you deserve a +1 rep

It does seem that some fans are more concerned with the spend rather than the quality of players that are being signed. If we had spent £15 million on Cleverly and Deulofeu, would that be better since we'd be further up the "spending tables" that everyone likes to point to? Of course not.

On the other hand, I love seeing the mid-sized and smaller teams splashing the cash on some of the absolute dross that is available. Every single window, some fans get worked up about (insert random player here) that the likes of the Stokes and West Broms and Norwichs of the world are signing, because they're "showing more ambition," whatever that means. Funny how a year or two later, nobody remembers any of those players' names and some of those teams have since been relegated.

Despite the underachievement in the league last season, we have a pretty strong starting 11. It's not going to be that easy to instantly improve the starting places. Realistically I'd say that the playmaker position and one of the wingers would be the only areas we're possibly going to be able to improve right away with a signing.

It does seem that some fans are more concerned with the spend rather than the quality of players that are being signed. If we had spent £15 million on Cleverly and Deulofeu, would that be better since we'd be further up the "spending tables" that everyone likes to point to? Of course not.

On the other hand, I love seeing the mid-sized and smaller teams splashing the cash on some of the absolute dross that is available. Every single window, some fans get worked up about (insert random player here) that the likes of the Stokes and West Broms and Norwichs of the world are signing, because they're "showing more ambition," whatever that means. Funny how a year or two later, nobody remembers any of those players' names and some of those teams have since been relegated.

Despite the underachievement in the league last season, we have a pretty strong starting 11. It's not going to be that easy to instantly improve the starting places. Realistically I'd say that the playmaker position and one of the wingers would be the only areas we're possibly going to be able to improve right away with a signing.

Stop it with your logical reasoning and common sense approach. It will spread like VD in here if you persist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back