Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't someone say a few pages back, there were two agents at Finch Farm and lawyers in too? So assuming Holgate is one of the players, I wonder who the other agent is for?

We don't sign players that we really want before the season starts, it's never how it is. Lukaku was a huge exception in more ways than one. All our big business is done towards the end.

Also would love to know why people are moaning about a centre back who's own clubs fans don't seem to rate very highly and plays in a poor league.

I'm not fuming yet at all so this isn't my point of view but I think what people are actually fuming over isn't the lack of signings in isolation. You're right, we usually do most of our business once the season has already kicked off but that's because previously we were spending money from a player sale. This time round however that isn't the case and people assumed there would be money to spend. The fact it hasn't been spent yet (when it makes more sense to get your signings in early to train with their new team mates, settle into the area etc) has people worried that we don't actually have anything to spend.

I personally think we probably have looked at the likes of the lads that went to West Ham and Stoke but we didn't feel they were value for money compared to other options we may have. I think money will be spent but I am worried at what these other options are given we don't appear to have made any major moves for any of our target areas. Obviously things are going on we aren't aware of so hopefully it's just a case of being patient

For what it's worth, I spoke to an ardent Celtic fan today and asked him about Van Dijk.
He said he's the best Celtic player he's seen in the last 20 years, but he has barely broken sweat for the club recently except in European games - basically due to the lack of serious opposition domestically.

I think that there are a lot of players in the Scottish league that will have to evacuate in order to fulfil their potential. Van Dijk being one of them.
It's a relevant point. Look at young players like Harper (R. Madrid) and Gauld (S. Lisbon) who left because they would get a better footballing education elsewhere.

It's very much a "diamond in the rough" situation. It's just a bit of a gamble whether or not they polish up well enough.

Southampton Virgil van Dijk

Football

Posted at15:34
Southampton have been in discussions with Celtic over the potential signing of defender Virgil van Dijk, BBC Scotland has learned.

No offer has yet been made but the 24-year-old Dutchman is one of many targets Saints are pursuing as they look to recruit one more central defender before the transfer window closes.
We are keeping an eye on this so as to put in a suitably lower bid.

Mason Holgate.......love the name, something of a 1930's American private detective about it.

Its great someone wants to sign for us, and already looking forward to 2018/19 when he will be ready to play for us.

I think Roberto gave the game away yesterday when he said his signings would not necessarily be 'names'.

The thing that's become most disappointing for me the past few weeks is the lack of optimism over everything Everton-related. I realize there are many, many reasons for this (board issues, transfer window inactivity, Kone's hair, etc.). Really, I get it. But it seems like a fair few fans have decided that they would rather moan than make the choice to be optimistic. And it is a choice. And this team is not hopeless by any means.

FFS it only took about 5 minutes on Saturday for the crowd to collectively moan anytime there was a backwards pass. This was the first game of the season! At Goodison! You'd think everyone would be absolutely buzzing and raring to start the season on a good note. But it almost seemed like some fans decided they were going to be discontent right off first whistle.

I know we've got a brutal first few months of the season. And we wish the transfer activity was more inspiring up to now. And the first game was not the result we wanted. But we can still make a choice to get behind the team. I know our fans travel better than most and will be rightly up for the Southampton game. Hopefully the team can feel the support and use it to kick on.

There are still nearly three weeks in the transfer window. We could yet be happily surprised still. Bit of positive thinking would be a breath of fresh air.

T
Cue a load of cash being placed on 'Sky bet'
hey can have him for me as Browning , and Galloway will get a chance, looking back on our history the Catt binned his captain Alex Parker sold him , and played a youngster who was an inside forward to Right Back who went on for England honours the one and only Tommy Wright!
RM has to be bold and use thes young lads use them as cover for Jags and Stones!
Spend our funds on a good player Lennon, and a good striker!

i for one am really happy about holgate signing

JS69300295.jpg

Mason Holgate scores Barnsley's winning goal in a pre-season win over Huddersfield

Everton are on the brink of signing highly-rated Barnsley defender Mason Holgate from under the noses of Bournemouth in a deal worth £1m.

The Blues have swooped for the 18-year-old, who spent part of the summer on trial at Manchester United, just as Eddie Howes’ Premier League newcomers thought they had lured him to the South coast.

Holgate, who made 22 appearances for the League One outfit after breaking into the team last term, has been compared to John Stones, who followed the same path from academy graduate at the Tykes to Merseyside.

It is understood Everton will pay £500,00 up front and the fee could eventually increased to in excess of £1m in add-ons.

Arsenal have also been linked with the classy defender, who can operate at right back or central defence, while Aston Villa were also reportedly monitoring him.

JS53810524.jpg

Mason Holgate vies for possession in Barnsley's FA Challenge Cup Third Round clash with Middlesbrough - Saturday 3rd January 2015

If talks at Finch Farm progress it is believed that the transfer could officially be announced later today.

I like Roberto's focus...there's obviously a plan there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back