TV Series

High praise indeed

Its good then?
Everything is subjective.

For me its peak TV and has so many legendary characters.

"The Wire is lauded for its literary themes, its uncommonly accurate exploration of society and politics, and its realistic portrayal of urban life. During its original run, the series received only average ratings and never won any major television awards, but it is now often cited as one of the greatest shows in the history of television."

Anybody have an thoughts on The Wire.. i know its a bit old and that, but i might give it a whirl..

Worth it?
Well worth it. It's a landmark in television. It's basically split into five chunks, each one dealing with life in Baltimore from different aspects.
So you can watch one series, have a break and resume. There's plenty of spillover from one series to the next and it's peopled with unforgettable characters and great performances. Good music too.

It's in the conversation but the 5th season wasn't great.
The Wire or the Sopranos and nothing else has come close.
If I remember correctly season 5 was heavily affected by the writers strike and the fact that it was also going to be the final season. It is way below the standard of the first 4 seasons sadly but still has some good stuff in it. The first 4 are just unbelievably good though

It`s outstanding, but for stand alone perfection, it``s series one of True Detective, ( I know this has been done to death )
Now I’d agree with this, if it was this time last year, but I watched TD season 1 again earlier this year, and it may be my built up perception of it over time, but whilst I enjoyed it, I revised my opinion of it. Still amazing just not as good as I remembered, whereas I rewatched The Wire and enjoyed the first couple of seasons just as much. I confess however I have still not see The Sopranos

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back