TV Series

I watched a review of the season the other day and the fella doing it said they’ve said it’s going to be 4 seasons. I haven’t checked that this is right but the fella went on to say it should have only been 2 seasons and they’ve dragged it out to 4 for the money. He reckons there are certain fan groups that redo entire shows and cut things down. This fella reckons it will happen with this and the version they will end up making will be more like what it should have been without a corporate machine behind it dragging it out for profit.

The whole Daemon in Harrenhall thing is a prime example of it. He’s been there literally the entire season to do something that could have taken 2 episodes.

You nailed it perfectly with GOT, there were so many story lines and characters that there was always something big to happen somewhere in the universe. When it’s following 2 factions there’s not so much for them to cover
Sums up my feelings towards it.

Season 2 started on the precipice of war and has finished pretty much in the same place bar a couple of minor battles that haven't shifted anything decisively. The Daemon storyline is a prime example of dragging something out as you say - another one is Rhaena spending around 2 or 3 episodes running around seemingly the same bit of barren grass and rock with pretty much nothing happening until the finale.....and then we see something we've already seen done 3 times previously.

I think they're trying to emulate Ser Bronn of Blackwater as well with Ulf but they seem to have mistaken ill mannered ignorance for roguish affability. And the Triachy sea captain they introduced seems to have took her acting cues from Lord Flashheart in BlackAdder. Huzzah!

Sums up my feelings towards it.

Season 2 started on the precipice of war and has finished pretty much in the same place bar a couple of minor battles that haven't shifted anything decisively. The Daemon storyline is a prime example of dragging something out as you say - another one is Rhaena spending around 2 or 3 episodes running around seemingly the same bit of barren grass and rock with pretty much nothing happening until the finale.....and then we see something we've already seen done 3 times previously.

I think they're trying to emulate Ser Bronn of Blackwater as well with Ulf but they seem to have mistaken ill mannered ignorance for roguish affability. And the Triachy sea captain they introduced seems to have took her acting cues from Lord Flashheart in BlackAdder. Huzzah!
Brilliant

View attachment 268361
So I'm racing through episodes of this. I never caught the original book or 80s miniseries so I've gone in cold. It's a "fish out of water" historical epic with intrigue, culture clashes and superb costume and production design.
The cast are superb... very nuanced performances. Also the writing is on point and storyline touches on the gradual infiltration of 16th century Japanese culture and society by the comparatively decadent, uncouth yet technologically advanced Gaijin. It thankfully doesn't overplay the "white saviour" trope that often sullies these kinds of shows...the English Blackthorne character is played as ignorant, naive and completely lost in this strange complex foreign land. His gradual assimilation into his surroundings and the tense political situation he finds himself thrown into is smartly done.
Lots of brutal samurai violence, serene Kurosawa moments of contemplation and beautiful alluring intelligent females who wield as much influence and power as their stoic men.
Highly recommended. Oh and Mariko is a darling.

If you’re a fan of Mariko she’s also in the Kong/Godzilla spin off series Monarch. I wish I was in your position and was watching it for the first time. A truly epic show

I'm glad to see House of the dragon being panned. GRRM deserves it all for selling out.

The series is an adaptation of a fictional history hardly even detailed with its own book.

GoT was much better because it had five books to adapt. They're stretching out parts of one into three seasons but having to balance their budget use on the CGI for what is essentially a paper thin story to explain why all the dragons are gone in GOT.
Think they’re making 4 seasons in total. Should have been a 2 season show at most.

Does some things good and some bad. Is very frustrating to watch.

Penguin is a woman and Gordon is black.

Like, why.
I don't see the big deal with Gordon being black. Its not like the show was ever going to be faithful to the comics anyway. Most of these shows are considered elseworlds tales as a rule. The Penguin being a woman is absolutely baffling to me though. The Penguin makes the least sense out of all Batmans rogues gallery. A woman version of the Scarecrow, the Joker, the Mad Hatter, a woman Mrs Freeze all make way more sense then Penguin. I almost feel compelled to watch now to see if they had any logical reason at all to explain that choice.

I don't see the big deal with Gordon being black. Its not like the show was ever going to be faithful to the comics anyway. Most of these shows are considered elseworlds tales as a rule. The Penguin being a woman is absolutely baffling to me though. The Penguin makes the least sense out of all Batmans rogues gallery. A woman version of the Scarecrow, the Joker, the Mad Hatter, a woman Mrs Freeze all make way more sense then Penguin. I almost feel compelled to watch now to see if they had any logical reason at all to explain that choice.
So I watched the first episode out of curiosity and it was actually pretty good. Forget having a female penguin ect. It feels like a decent little elseworlds show. The only real problem that I simply refuse to accept, elseworlds or not, is the fact that for some reason, they decided they make Alfred fat!:lol:

Anyone looking for a few quick watch comedy series...

- Fleabag (amazon or bbc iplayer). Only 2 seasons with 6 x 20 min episodes. Extremely funny and clever, with a sombre vibe.

- Community (netflix). It's a few years old but bags of talent in the cast and script. Big on pop culture references and just great in general.

- The Rehearsal (sky comedy). Not sure what genre you'd call this, I guess a kind of mocumentary inception. Impossible to explain but very good.

- Dave (Disney+). White jewish rapper breaks into the rap scene...follows the real life story of Dave Burd aka Lil Dicky. Great cameos throughout.

- Colin From Accounts (Aussie show, I got it on the RTE player, not sure if it aired on uk tv). Very likeable pair of strangers inherit a stray dog.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back