Ukraine invasion and the sanction of Oligarchs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think owning a Russian newspaper, owning several mining interests in Russia a massive multi billion telecommunications headquartered in Russia with many of these interests and more in a Russia based holdings company does that good a job at removing links with Russia. Especially when you're a Russian citizen with a few state honour medals pinned to your chest.

Thankfully the financial links with the club are impossible to see.....

0_JS205429238.jpg

Lampard-joins-Everton.jpg

View attachment 157063
Well done, Sherlock.

My point was, even if he's added to "The List" he won't need to make use of any food banks for the foreseeable.

Well done, Sherlock.

My point was, even if he's added to "The List" he won't need to make use of any food banks for the foreseeable.
Sorry mate. As you were replying to this post.....
Usmanov has Russian and Uzbek citizenship.

Moshiri also has dual nationality- British and Iranian.

And now we get to see one of the benefits of having Moshiri in charge and no hard link back to Usmanov. The UK loves to launder money and what better way to get an asset in a safe haven like the UK than a shiny new stadium.

.... a post explicitly about Moshiri, Everton and links between Usmanov and Everton I must have completely misunderstood the point you was making about a clever accountant removing links with Russia. I jumped to the conclusion that you were indeed talking about Farhad Moshiri and Usmanov's links with Everton.

Like any billionaire I'm sure Usmanov won't have any concerns so long as he can afford the weekly shop down at Aldi and that no amount of sanctions could possibly have an effect on the club.

.... a post explicitly about Moshiri, Everton and links between Usmanov and Everton I must have completely misunderstood the point you was making about a clever accountant removing links with Russia. I jumped to the conclusion that you were indeed talking about Farhad Moshiri and Usmanov's links with Everton.

Like any billionaire I'm sure Usmanov won't have any concerns so long as he can afford the weekly shop down at Aldi and that no amount of sanctions could possibly have an effect on the club.
That's fair enough.

I generally can't be bothered reading entire threads and just dip in and out as and when.

Cheers.

This depends on what you mean as links.

The club is sponsored by a Russian company that someone may or may not have shares in. These commercial deals were finalised a long time before any potential sanctions may have been agreed, and have been covered by the law of this country at the point of signing.

Worth noting the champions league, sponsored heavily by Gazprom. I dont suppose those teams playing in the CL will be handing back any commercial money partially funded through Gazprom?

However there appears to be no formal link, in terms of shareholding from anyone prescribed, or indeed anyone in any way connected to Russia, never mind Putin.

Those 2 things are qualitatively different. Being sponsored by a company who may have a shareholder who may or may not be linked to a country engaged in warfare will be very common. Having a shareholder who is will not be.

Its important to note that difference, and probably why Usmanov has chosen to never formalised a relationship.

My understanding is he did own shares in Arsenal. That seems more of a question to me than anything that can addresses to us.

This depends on what you mean as links.

The club is sponsored by a Russian company that someone may or may not have shares in. These commercial deals were finalised a long time before any potential sanctions may have been agreed, and have been covered by the law of this country at the point of signing.

Worth noting the champions league, sponsored heavily by Gazprom. I dont suppose those teams playing in the CL will be handing back any commercial money partially funded through Gazprom?

However there appears to be no formal link, in terms of shareholding from anyone prescribed, or indeed anyone in any way connected to Russia, never mind Putin.

Those 2 things are qualitatively different. Being sponsored by a company who may have a shareholder who may or may not be linked to a country engaged in warfare will be very common. Having a shareholder who is will not be.

Its important to note that difference, and probably why Usmanov has chosen to never formalised a relationship.

My understanding is he did own shares in Arsenal. That seems more of a question to me than anything that can addresses to us.
A lot of this is over my head but I'm less concerned about money already paid. What's the score with future investment in the hypothetical situation that sanctions are made against Usmanov or companies such as USM and their ability to work within the UK? Stadium build, ongoing payments from sponsorship deals etc if something like removing access from SWIFT is done? However likely or unlikely that is.

Usmanov has been personally named in Parliament and there are solid financial links between his company holdings and indeed the shareholdings and positions held by Farhad Moshiri.

Why is this thread here?

Utterly bizarre
Because an Oligarch named in Parliament regarding sanctions has strong financial links to Everton Football Club. It's related to Everton and thus is in the Everton forum like many other threads that aren't explicitly about on field events. That's my understanding but I'm sure the mods will shift it or lock it if it isn't relevant.

Why is this thread here?

Utterly bizarre

Not something we like to talk about in the UK, the rest of the world does! Number two on the list is of interest...

"Usmanov’s largest holding is steel giant Metalloinvest. Thanks to Yuri Milner, then chairman of Mail.Ru Group, formerly known as Digital Sky Technologies, Usmanov was an early investor in Facebook. Usmanov owns stakes in Chinese tech giant Xiaomi as well as other telecom, mining and media companies. He also caught the English soccer-team bug, once owning 30% of Arsenal. In 2018, Usmanov sold his stake for $712 million to American billionaire Stanley Kroenke, owner of the Super Bowl-bound Los Angeles Rams, among other valuable properties.

Usmanov has repeatedly fronted for Putin and solved his business problems, according to the expert. In one instance, in 2006, Putin’s telecommunications minister, Leonid Reiman, was revealed as the owner of a stake in Megafon, a company his ministry oversaw. Soon after, Usmanov bought Reiman’s stake.

In December, Usmanov’s holding company sold its investment in Mail.Ru, which had been renamed VK, to Sogaz, an insurance company that is partly owned by Putin ally Yuri Kovalchuk, whose net worth is $3.6 billion. Usmanov also works closely with Andrei Skoch, another Russian oligarch (net worth: $7.7 billion) whom the U.S. sanctioned in 2018.

Usmanov’s ties with Putin go beyond business. He’s married to Irina Viner, a legendary rhythmic gymnastics coach who helped Alina Kabaeva, widely believed to be Putin’s mistress, win the gold medal at the 2004 Olympics.

Given that the Biden administration is targeting oligarchs that have assets in the West, Usmanov fits the bill with vast real estate holdings peppered throughout Europe. He owns two sprawling estates in London–the Beechwood House and Sutton Place–that together are worth nearly $300 million. He also has properties in Munich, Monaco and Sardinia, among other locations."

I hope Usmanov gets really, really angry and decides to just plough 3 billion into Everton in an attempt to win promotion back to the Premier League next season.

So much for nuclear weapons being a deterrent that keeps peace in europe. On this occasion they are the deterrent that is keeping the rest of the world from going to Ukraine's aid and issuing paltry financial sanctions instead.

NATO has enough conventional strength to wipe the floor with Putin if it wanted to, but the threat of what a direct war with Russia could mean for all of us, is stopping them from taking any meaningful action. Meanwhile the people of Ukraine suffer a bloody takeover by an aggressive neighbour.

Think in terms of what is happening to the people of Ukraine the club is not that important. It will survive. Many will not in the war those people will suffer.

Usmanov’s largest holding is steel giant Metalloinvest. Thanks to Yuri Milner, then chairman of Mail.Ru Group, formerly known as Digital Sky Technologies, Usmanov was an early investor in Facebook. Usmanov owns stakes in Chinese tech giant Xiaomi as well as other telecom, mining and media companies. He also caught the English soccer-team bug, once owning 30% of Arsenal. In 2018, Usmanov sold his stake for $712 million to American billionaire Stanley Kroenke, owner of the Super Bowl-bound Los Angeles Rams, among other valuable properties.

Usmanov has repeatedly fronted for Putin and solved his business problems, according to the expert. In one instance, in 2006, Putin’s telecommunications minister, Leonid Reiman, was revealed as the owner of a stake in Megafon, a company his ministry oversaw. Soon after, Usmanov bought Reiman’s stake.

In December, Usmanov’s holding company sold its investment in Mail.Ru, which had been renamed VK, to Sogaz, an insurance company that is partly owned by Putin ally Yuri Kovalchuk, whose net worth is $3.6 billion. Usmanov also works closely with Andrei Skoch, another Russian oligarch (net worth: $7.7 billion) whom the U.S. sanctioned in 2018.

Usmanov’s ties with Putin go beyond business. He’s married to Irina Viner, a legendary rhythmic gymnastics coach who helped Alina Kabaeva, widely believed to be Putin’s mistress, win the gold medal at the 2004 Olympics.

Given that the Biden administration is targeting oligarchs that have assets in the West, Usmanov fits the bill with vast real estate holdings peppered throughout Europe. He owns two sprawling estates in London–the Beechwood House and Sutton Place–that together are worth nearly $300 million. He also has properties in Munich, Monaco and Sardinia, among other locations
Hmm unlike what others say, there quite clearly is plenty of interest here. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back