• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Virgil Van Dijk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mostly because I think the player would want the move as well. Stones hasn't made noises so we hold the cards.

Have established Pl teams come for him in the past genuinely?
Not just paper talk but actual offers?
Got to remember last season was his second season with Celtic. In his first season Celtic were a disaster, especially in the CL. They performed horribly but Van Dijk was the only player who looked comfortable on the big stage. I think the team being rubbish overshadowed him a bit. I don't think there were any real concrete offers last Summer, but certainly interest. Anyway he performed all of last season at a high level again and now apparently there's an offer on the table from Southampton. He'll probably go there after Tuesday. Celtic hadn't received any offers for Wanyama until Southampton swooped in, and this was on the back of his 2nd season

I think he probably does want to go, he's come out with a few things and I don't blame him. He's way too good to be playing in Scotland, and really he should be in the Dutch national team. He's a great professional though, doesn't moan and gets on with his job.

I don't care who he signs for but when he does i will be really really gutted if there isn't a photo of him sitting at the signing table with a pen in his hand looking all lonely and sad cause there's no one else in sight.

The top scorer in last years SPL was Adam Rooney he failed at every English club he played for. This leads me to believe the quality of footballing experience Van Dijk has gained won't prepare him for the step up.

I've only seen him in a couple of games so not enough to make a judgement, however he did appear confident and decent playing the ball out from defence but also made a couple of attempts at tackles that would make Barkley call him a *rude word*house.

As for him playing Scotland, sure it's an inferior league and there will be a risk in bringing him to the PL, but of the top of my head Mirallas, Arteta, Cahill, Lescott and Ovideo to name just 5 came from inferior leagues and have all fitted in and proven themselves as PL quality.

So just because he hasn't proven himself as PL quality yet (from not playing in it) doesn't mean he won't if given the chance.

I've seen him live a few times, he's big, strong, quick and comfortable on the ball but each time I've seen him he's been prone to a mistake(that could be argued that's because he's playing with the handbrake on) just last week Josh Magennis got the better off hm in chances which should have led to goals( 1 did)

In Europe he's been made to look a rookie.

I'd take a risk at the chance but equally it wouldn't surprise me if he turns badly Boumsongy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back