2023/24 Vitalii Mykolenko

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right about McNeil but garner sure as hell has played right back and played the position very well.

Should garner be playing RB, hell no, imo he's by far our best midfielder (Onana included) and sets the press exceptionally well for the entire side (captain material for me)

McNeil due to how often he defends in a Dyche system 'should' in theory at least be comfortable in the left back spot - half the time he's essentially playing as one anyways
Garner played as a right midfielder/wing back in a 3-5-2, which is so far removed from a full back it's not even funny.

Played a makeshift full back for about 5 games in the U21 nationals and did okay all things considered, but the U21 is not a good gauge of anything - he's also played as a centre back at U21 level before (apparently? It's listed in his games) but I wouldn't play him there ever in an actual game.

A funny myth that spawned a lot of "can he play right back?" jokes for literally anyone we've tried to sign since, but he's not a PL right back and should never be played there unless it's dire straits or we're chasing score and are looking at the "throw anyone on" approach that Dyche uses when up against it :lol: He's not a good Dyche right winger either which is surprising - he looks a bit lost out wide most the time.

Big fan of trying things out but for either of those to be considered - they'd have to be in how Garner was, a defensive wide midfielder more than a full back.
Right one hundred percent about Dyche being very much a left/right backs job is to defend though - we sure as hell aren't gonna be seeing dyche lining up with Cafu and Roberto Carlos lol
Can you imagine if he had and asked them to defend first and not go forward? :lol: I think either would just walk away haha

Signed for £18mil and 2.5 years into a 4.5 year deal so its either time to extend his deal or sell.

Book value would be circa £8mil so a £25mil sale may be very tempting for Thelwell.

I didn’t think it was that much we bought him for? Could be wrong though. He’s been a very good player in my opinion. One on one against a top winger there’s no one else I’d want. When he’s fully fit he’s an extremely good defender. We need to move past the idea of Everton’s entire attacking capability being carried out by the left back it’s not the way the top teams are operating anymore. Its an extremely dangerous way to play for fullbacks to be overlapping and getting to the bye line, the reward of creating the odd goal just doesn’t cover the risk of getting done on transition which teams are now ruthless at exploiting.

France won a world cup with 4 CBs. City play Ake or Gvardiol at LB after dropping Cancell. Arsenal dropped Tierney and then Zinchenko to play Kiwior a CB there, meanwhile Ben White and Tomiyashu two CBs play right back. Under Ancelotti our best defence was the 4 CBs and every time Digne came back in for Godfrey we got opened up.

I’m not surprised Napoli are interested in Mykolenko but I hope we can keep him and he has a full season completely fit for us.

Garner played as a right midfielder/wing back in a 3-5-2, which is so far removed from a full back it's not even funny.

Played a makeshift full back for about 5 games in the U21 nationals and did okay all things considered, but the U21 is not a good gauge of anything - he's also played as a centre back at U21 level before (apparently? It's listed in his games) but I wouldn't play him there ever in an actual game.

A funny myth that spawned a lot of "can he play right back?" jokes for literally anyone we've tried to sign since, but he's not a PL right back and should never be played there unless it's dire straits or we're chasing score and are looking at the "throw anyone on" approach that Dyche uses when up against it :lol: He's not a good Dyche right winger either which is surprising - he looks a bit lost out wide most the time.

Big fan of trying things out but for either of those to be considered - they'd have to be in how Garner was, a defensive wide midfielder more than a full back.

Can you imagine if he had and asked them to defend first and not go forward? :lol: I think either would just walk away haha
Oh a perfect right back for Dyche would have been Hibbert, he'd have absolutely loved him

I didn’t think it was that much we bought him for? Could be wrong though. He’s been a very good player in my opinion. One on one against a top winger there’s no one else I’d want. When he’s fully fit he’s an extremely good defender. We need to move past the idea of Everton’s entire attacking capability being carried out by the left back it’s not the way the top teams are operating anymore. Its an extremely dangerous way to play for fullbacks to be overlapping and getting to the bye line, the reward of creating the odd goal just doesn’t cover the risk of getting done on transition which teams are now ruthless at exploiting.

France won a world cup with 4 CBs. City play Ake or Gvardiol at LB after dropping Cancell. Arsenal dropped Tierney and then Zinchenko to play Kiwior a CB there, meanwhile Ben White and Tomiyashu two CBs play right back. Under Ancelotti our best defence was the 4 CBs and every time Digne came back in for Godfrey we got opened up.

I’m not surprised Napoli are interested in Mykolenko but I hope we can keep him and he has a full season completely fit for us.

Oh in terms of a system player for Dyche, mykolenko is ideal, my main worry is the injury and then redoing it once/twice?

Oh in terms of a system player for Dyche, mykolenko is ideal, my main worry is the injury and then redoing it once/twice?

He is one of a few like DCL Coleman Patterson where they need to be fully fit and play a few games consecutively before they reach their top level. Others like Tarkowski Gueye and Richarlison before them you could just throw them in and first game back they’re at it.

I'd have welcomed AWB joining.

I also suspect the link to the Swiss chap may be true if we bring in his former teammate Gnonto.

Ive no issue with 4 solid defensive players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.