Wages and salaries

IMG_8011.jpeg

Suprised it dropped by so little year on year tbh. I know we’ve had a 5 additions on decent money but number that have dropped off on ludicrously high wages (loans and end of contract) I thought would far outweigh Tarkowski and Co.

Correct.

Increasing the wage bill doesn't solve the current problem though!

The problem is if you cut that too fast and relegate the club, then the income reduces by more than you cut and you're still in the same position...in the championship.

With Gomes, Dele, Danjuma out the door we should be getting on for 13 million less in wages which is a significant cut. Get rid of Onana, Keane and Holgate and you could be looking at another similar amount. Although 1 or 2 of those you will be needing to divert to perhaps pay 3/4 cheaper players to pad back out the squad.

But to bore people to death, as others have said Dele, should, come off the wage bill in the next month, he has been the only player not available to us.

Gomes also, although he has been available, 120k for a back up CM seems excessive, Longers and Danjuma will leave also, we have no idea if we are paying Danjumas wages, Harrison will also leave, but I suspect he will be back.

Goalkeepers
Jordan Pickford (HG)
João Virgínia (HG)
Billy Crellin (HG)

Right Backs
Séamus Coleman
Nathan Patterson
Ashley Young (HG)

Left Backs
Vitaliy Mykolenko

Centre Backs
James Tarkowski (HG)
Michael Keane (HG)
Ben Godfrey (HG)
Jarrad Branthwaite (UA)
Mason Holgate (HG)

Midfield
Amadou Onana
James Garner (HG)
Idrissa Gueye
Abdoulaye Doucouré

Wide Forwards
Dwight McNeil (HG)
Lewis Dobbin (UA)
Jack Harrison (HG) *

Strikers

Dominic Calvert-Lewin (HG)
Youssef Chermiti (UA)
Beto
Neal Maupay

So if we assume we save 260k in wages for the players leaving, what are peoples thoughts on that squad for next season?

Quantity wise I think it looks ok? We could probably do with adding a Wide forward, right? And maybe a midfielder, ignoring fees, that leaves us 260k for 2 players, which you would assume means a saving in wages.

Based on the above squad.

But to bore people to death, as others have said Dele, should, come off the wage bill in the next month, he has been the only player not available to us.

Gomes also, although he has been available, 120k for a back up CM seems excessive, Longers and Danjuma will leave also, we have no idea if we are paying Danjumas wages, Harrison will also leave, but I suspect he will be back.

Goalkeepers
Jordan Pickford (HG)
João Virgínia (HG)
Billy Crellin (HG)

Right Backs
Séamus Coleman
Nathan Patterson
Ashley Young (HG)

Left Backs
Vitaliy Mykolenko

Centre Backs
James Tarkowski (HG)
Michael Keane (HG)
Ben Godfrey (HG)
Jarrad Branthwaite (UA)
Mason Holgate (HG)

Midfield
Amadou Onana
James Garner (HG)
Idrissa Gueye
Abdoulaye Doucouré

Wide Forwards
Dwight McNeil (HG)
Lewis Dobbin (UA)
Jack Harrison (HG) *

Strikers

Youssef Chermiti (UA)
Beto
Neal Maupay

So if we assume we save 260k in wages for the players leaving, what are peoples thoughts on that squad for next season?

Quantity wise I think it looks ok? We could probably do with adding a Wide forward, right? And maybe a midfielder, ignoring fees, that leaves us 260k for 2 players, which you would assume means a saving in wages.

Goalkeepers
Jordan Pickford (HG)
João Virgínia (HG)
Billy Crellin (HG)

Right Backs
Séamus Coleman
Nathan Patterson
Ashley Young (HG)

Left Backs
Vitaliy Mykolenko

Centre Backs
James Tarkowski (HG)
Michael Keane (HG)
Ben Godfrey (HG)
Jarrad Branthwaite (UA)
Mason Holgate (HG)

Midfield
Amadou Onana
James Garner (HG)
Idrissa Gueye
Abdoulaye Doucouré

Wide Forwards
Dwight McNeil (HG)
Lewis Dobbin (UA)
Jack Harrison (HG) *

Strikers

Youssef Chermiti (UA)
Beto
Neal Maupay

Attacking Mid

Would like to see a breakdown of our salaries to be honest seems very high comparatively holistically.

Believe the actual playing first team playing squad is just under 80 mill approx, which should be the highest outgoing, that’s about 10th in the league, yet wages overall remain a problem.

The problem is if you cut that too fast and relegate the club, then the income reduces by more than you cut and you're still in the same position...in the championship.

With Gomes, Dele, Danjuma out the door we should be getting on for 13 million less in wages which is a significant cut. Get rid of Onana, Keane and Holgate and you could be looking at another similar amount. Although 1 or 2 of those you will be needing to divert to perhaps pay 3/4 cheaper players to pad back out the squad.
It brings us straight back to the same obstacle though: our turgid income stream.

You're right that we mustn't cut too much too fast, presuming that doing so will relegated the club. However we also have to consider the reverse: if we fail to cut enough with sufficient urgency then we go into administration and get relegated anyway.

We have to get away from the model of having backups on high salaries, and paying big transfer fees for players who don't start regularly:

Patterson for example: we paid £12m for him and the only other RBs in the squad are Coleman and Young. So start him at RB or sell him.

Andre Gomes is widely reported to be on £120k p/w, but never starts. Michael Keane is apparently on £80k p/w - same issue. We just don't have the income necessary to support this idiocy.

Beto is another example: £26m for a bloke who gets 1000 minutes over 38 league games is crazy. Sell him or start him.

When you don't have much money you have to do two things:

1) make more of it, fast;
2) don't spend what you do have in stupid ways.

It brings us straight back to the same obstacle though: our turgid income stream.

You're right that we mustn't cut too much too fast, presuming that doing so will relegated the club. However we also have to consider the reverse: if we fail to cut enough with sufficient urgency then we go into administration and get relegated anyway.

We have to get away from the model of having backups on high salaries, and paying big transfer fees for players who don't start regularly:

Patterson for example: we paid £12m for him and the only other RBs in the squad are Coleman and Young. So start him at RB or sell him.

Andre Gomes is widely reported to be on £120k p/w, but never starts. Michael Keane is apparently on £80k p/w - same issue. We just don't have the income necessary to support this idiocy.

Beto is another example: £26m for a bloke who gets 1000 minutes over 38 league games is crazy. Sell him or start him.

When you don't have much money you have to do two things:

1) make more of it, fast;
2) don't spend what you do have in stupid ways.

Totally agree.

View attachment 258429
Suprised it dropped by so little year on year tbh. I know we’ve had a 5 additions on decent money but number that have dropped off on ludicrously high wages (loans and end of contract) I thought would far outweigh Tarkowski and Co.
I am surprised by the gradual decline in the cost of wages as well.

Hopefully we will see a substantial drop in the accounts finishing next month.