Wanting Success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate I agree it’s disappointing, but what would you have us do?

I’ve got a job and a Mrs and a kid. I can’t picket fence a private business for my own selfish satisfaction and get my way, just so I can lord it over others because I ‘support’ a team.

It’s crap mate I agree.

But I don’t think I can help.

I’m getting rather bored of football to be honest. It’s just not exciting.

I am more excited by the prospects of watching the Ladies Curling semi final at the Winter Olympics on Friday morning than watching the Everton game on Watford and that is something I could never have envisaged even a fortnight ago.

Fill ya boots Dave.

True though. Moyes created the identity. Knife to a gun fight; "Everton have no right to expect to win things"; "Everton never won much before I arrived".

His influence on the club's self perception has been enormous. A whole generation grew up with that mentality shoved down their throats and to expect no better.

This mentality took root in the Moyes era. He, with the connivance of the board, re-drew the boundaries between success and failure and what our horizons should be.

He might have steadied a ship in his first few seasons, but he was an absolute plague of locusts on Everton in terms of ambitions.

Nonsense. Ignoring the season he took over as it wasn't a full season...In the 11 seasons before he came in:

9th, 12th, 13th, 17th, 15th, 6th, 15th, 17th, 14th, 13th, 16th

In the 11 seasons he was here:

7th, 17th, 4th, 11th, 6th, 5th, 5th, 8th, 7th, 7th, 6th

So we went from having 1 solitary top 6 finish in 11 seasons, with several seasons fighting relegation to having 5 top 6 finishes in 11 seasons. Average league position of 13th, to 8th (7.5).

It's easy to be delusional and harp on about the past, 9 league titles etc but that wasn't the reality when Moyes took over. He came here with us as an absolute shambles with limited finances and turned our fortunes around.

True though. Moyes created the identity. Knife to a gun fight; "Everton have no right to expect to win things"; "Everton never won much before I arrived".

His influence on the club's self perception has been enormous. A whole generation grew up with that mentality shoved down their throats and to expect no better.

Hard to argue with that really, we believed the hype of "punching above our weight", but the sooner people realise that this is the best it will get, the easier life will become.

We all have hopes and dreams, but not many are real.

Please calmly put your head back on, I know I said the S word and the W word in the same sentence.

Fans of yesteryear hung banners ‘Sack Catterick, Keep Young’, they jostled him in a car park, they stayed away from Goodison in their droves no less than 3 seasons after a title winning campaign. Catterick responded with a cup win, Alan Ball was brought in and one of the greatest sides in English football history was created to win the title again.

These same fans daubed ‘Kendall out’ on the walls of Bellefield, they threw cushions at the team, they would not go to Goodison, 30,000 stay at home fans couldn’t be wrong. Kendall went on to win the cup and created one of the greatest sides in English football history.

Young fans now have not seen success in any way shape or form. Trophies may as well be a myth and home derby wins can be counted on one hand, away ones on one finger. We are not jostling managers in car parks because we’re not winning trophies, we’re not staying away from Goodison (although I still think more should), and we’re not throwing stuff into the hallowed turf in disgust.

Yet look at the reaction to what little fans have done. A section of fans booed Schneiderlin: ‘embarassing, not real fans, how’s that supporting the team’, they flew a few planes against Kenwright: ‘careful what you wish for, cringeworthy, disrespectful’, they daubed Martinez out on Goodison ‘how dare they, embarassing the fans, just no patience’, they hung Martinez out banners and ones in support of Baines ‘cringeworthy, no patience, won’t wait for anything, Kopite behaviour’.

If so much as a blue flare is lit - kopite behaviour

If we get excited about a raft of new signings - Geordies

If anyone dares stand up or sing at the match even - ‘sit down’.

What happened to Everton fans? How did they go from knocking down a title winning manager to being revolted by any fan who dares do anything in the name of wanting success. Would you prefer we all sat in silence whilst Kenwright and Elstone preside over another decade of mediocrity?

Do you know what that behaviour gets you? It gets you the clip art badge, it gets you ‘expected losses’, it gets you close to a decade of no derby wins, it gets you the local paper telling you why you should be 11th. It gets you managers hired after relegation, it gets you Cuco Martina, Ashley Williams and Morgan Schneiderlin. It gets you Sam Allardyce telling you that we can’t win a game of football before we’ve even started. Is this what you want?

Don’t settle for what they feed you.

Demand better, expect better, never give up on Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

Tell that old fart or that stupid bearded hipster at the match to shut their hole when they tell you to sit down, stop booing or put your banner away.

It had to start with the fans. Once we let go Elstone Kenwright et al have won. They’re almost there. Packed crowds at Goodison to watch a Sam Allardyce team after they sold all our best players and we gave up every trophy this season. It’s a disgrace. A disgrace that Everton fans of previous generations would never ever have stood for. There’s nothing embarassing about wanting success.

Demand better.
audience-applause.jpg

Agree with all of this, it's high time this club started living by it's motto, as it stinks of apathy at the moment.

Which surely goes to prove that the fans were wrong. Thank god that the board didn't listen to the fans. :coffee:

But they did. The threat of the sack hung over both of our greatest managers. In turn they recognised that anything short of delivering trophies would be deemed as failure. They were not smugly day in press conferences bigging up routine wins absolutely made up with themselves that we’ve avoided relegation. They pushed their boards to go out and buy the Alan Balls, the Howard Kendalls, the Gary Linekers. They wanted to be the best, they didn’t want to be 7th.

As much as I think Martinez was a poor manager at least he actually wanted it. Why is that so difficult? Why is it so difficult for Everton to appoint a manager who will give everything to at least aspire to winning trophies. Instead we continue to hire people who expect a statute to be erected just for doing the bare minimum. Koeman and Allardyce seem to be bemused by the notion that having us not relegated isn’t an achievement. They don’t believe that Everton belong at the top so why should they be out mansger? They were and are our manager though because we have a board who know they do not have to deliver the best bevsuse the fans don’t care either way.

You can literally put Sam Allardyce in charge, not buy a left back, sell all our best players, and talk about expected losses, and Everton fans who just ‘love going the game’ will pack out stadiums home and away. Why spend money on success when your customer base is the most easily milked in European football? Everton fans used to understand tough love, you support the team to a point but if you want the best Everton you don’t go and happy clap complete turd like Schneiderlin. Everton fans used to get that, now they’ve turned their backs on it.

‘Ey lad stop booing Morgan, he’s a blue we don’t do that lad, you’re an embarrassment’. Says the bloke who probably pushed Catterick to the ground in Blackpool.

Fools.

Err, no they didn't, otherwise both Catterick and Kendall would have been sacked before having a chance at success.

The message was loud and clear though, the current fare was not good enough. Both managers upped their game knowing this as the alternative would be that they’d be fired at some point. Who now tells Allardyce it’s not good enough? No one at Everton will be and now none of the fans will either.

I appreciate the theory in what you’re saying, but the examples you’ve chosen don’t do you any favours.

Fans said we were a disgrace and we...won something. Fans said we needed to sack the manager and we...had our most successful spell ever. You’re effectively proving the point that there’s no benefit to revolting because we’ll probably be wrong.

As I say, I know what you mean though, but i’m Still not sure what we can really do. Has Liverpool’s insistence that the league trophy is their birthright helped them to actually win it? Nope. Has arsenal tv helped arsenal regain their place in Europe’s elite? Another nope. So why are we different? We’ve booed them off, cheered them off, loved them, hated them, demanded wins, begged for wins, the whole lot. Has it made a difference? Not a jot.

Good players and managers win you games, not positive thinking, otherwise we might aswell have Noel Edmonds up front. Appoint the right manager and back him and we’ll fly up the league, whether there’s 6000 there or 60000.

Nonsense. Ignoring the season he took over as it wasn't a full season...In the 11 seasons before he came in:

9th, 12th, 13th, 17th, 15th, 6th, 15th, 17th, 14th, 13th, 16th

In the 11 seasons he was here:

7th, 17th, 4th, 11th, 6th, 5th, 5th, 8th, 7th, 7th, 6th

So we went from having 1 solitary top 6 finish in 11 seasons, with several seasons fighting relegation to having 5 top 6 finishes in 11 seasons. Average league position of 13th, to 8th (7.5).

It's easy to be delusional and harp on about the past, 9 league titles etc but that wasn't the reality when Moyes took over. He came here with us as an absolute shambles with limited finances and turned our fortunes around.
It's the philosophy that went with Moyes not the mediocre league placings he managed to get. I notice also you managed to fail to flag up the cup win in that previous 11 year period, btw....under a manager who actually thought we had a duty to win things, unlike ginger.

Booing players is enjoyable but it changes nothing. We should have been hounding out Bill since about 2008. But far too many clappers in our fans base for anything proactive to take place.

We aren't very good. We have no coaching staff at the club who are any good. We have no recruitment staff who are any good. We have no strategy, let alone a good one. Until we have clear plans and smart decision makers running the club then not even money can sort us out. We are a soft touch.

This mentality took root in the Moyes era. He, with the connivance of the board, re-drew the boundaries between success and failure and what our horizons should be.

He might have steadied a ship in his first few seasons, but he was an absolute plague of locusts on Everton in terms of ambitions.

Coming second was nowhere, coming 4th was a disgrace, coming 7th was unthinkable, Moyes made all these redundant and set the bar so low even Sam Allardyce could be manager.....

Please calmly put your head back on, I know I said the S word and the W word in the same sentence.

Fans of yesteryear hung banners ‘Sack Catterick, Keep Young’, they jostled him in a car park, they stayed away from Goodison in their droves no less than 3 seasons after a title winning campaign. Catterick responded with a cup win, Alan Ball was brought in and one of the greatest sides in English football history was created to win the title again.

These same fans daubed ‘Kendall out’ on the walls of Bellefield, they threw cushions at the team, they would not go to Goodison, 30,000 stay at home fans couldn’t be wrong. Kendall went on to win the cup and created one of the greatest sides in English football history.

Young fans now have not seen success in any way shape or form. Trophies may as well be a myth and home derby wins can be counted on one hand, away ones on one finger. We are not jostling managers in car parks because we’re not winning trophies, we’re not staying away from Goodison (although I still think more should), and we’re not throwing stuff into the hallowed turf in disgust.

Yet look at the reaction to what little fans have done. A section of fans booed Schneiderlin: ‘embarassing, not real fans, how’s that supporting the team’, they flew a few planes against Kenwright: ‘careful what you wish for, cringeworthy, disrespectful’, they daubed Martinez out on Goodison ‘how dare they, embarassing the fans, just no patience’, they hung Martinez out banners and ones in support of Baines ‘cringeworthy, no patience, won’t wait for anything, Kopite behaviour’.

If so much as a blue flare is lit - kopite behaviour

If we get excited about a raft of new signings - Geordies

If anyone dares stand up or sing at the match even - ‘sit down’.

What happened to Everton fans? How did they go from knocking down a title winning manager to being revolted by any fan who dares do anything in the name of wanting success. Would you prefer we all sat in silence whilst Kenwright and Elstone preside over another decade of mediocrity?

Do you know what that behaviour gets you? It gets you the clip art badge, it gets you ‘expected losses’, it gets you close to a decade of no derby wins, it gets you the local paper telling you why you should be 11th. It gets you managers hired after relegation, it gets you Cuco Martina, Ashley Williams and Morgan Schneiderlin. It gets you Sam Allardyce telling you that we can’t win a game of football before we’ve even started. Is this what you want?

Don’t settle for what they feed you.

Demand better, expect better, never give up on Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

Tell that old fart or that stupid bearded hipster at the match to shut their hole when they tell you to sit down, stop booing or put your banner away.

It had to start with the fans. Once we let go Elstone Kenwright et al have won. They’re almost there. Packed crowds at Goodison to watch a Sam Allardyce team after they sold all our best players and we gave up every trophy this season. It’s a disgrace. A disgrace that Everton fans of previous generations would never ever have stood for. There’s nothing embarassing about wanting success.

Demand better.

Brilliant post!

Status
Not open for further replies.