• Yes

Votes: 325 54.9%
  • No

Votes: 267 45.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m going to not follow instructions. My answer is “not yet.”

Anyone else with the same quality CV as a player doing what he’s doing at Derby would merit a close look but there is still be the issue of limited managerial experience.

But Rooney has little pressure imo. He’s a big name that they’re “lucky” to have and their circumstances are so dire that the expectations were very low. It was all upside. That he’s even got them this close to staying up makes him look like a hero.

As the prodigal son for us, coming in at a time of crisis, the pressure would be enormous. His history would get the fans behind him but it would be a lot of pressure too. If the golden boy couldn’t keep the club up….

We haven’t seen enough to know if he’s got the stuff to handle that. In another year, maybe.

Also: His penchant for getting into trouble in his personal life and his possible substance abuse problem are red flags for me. Can get away with that as a star player, to an extent. Can’t be doing that stuff as the manager. Can’t trust the reins to such a person and expect him to be a leader of men. I’d want to know that that was behind him.

I understand people being put off by Rooney’s Man U link, but he was pretty much forced out of the club if his account is anything to go by. Risky yes, but I’d rather give him a go over Martinez.

The only reason he gets called stupid is because he has a thick scouse accent yet some of our fans actually believe it, whilst being scouse themselves!

Besides you can be real life stupid but intelligent football wise of course.

If he was to get the job I think he would need someone more experienced alongside him. Like he has now with Steve McLaren (only better preferably).
Gerrard's accent is possibly even broader than Rooney's ,but nobody accuses him of being stupid. Yes he is more articulate in front of the cameras, but that isn't a sign of higher intellect.

Not sure you can be "real life stupid" and hold down a high profile job in the 21st century.
Rooney clearly isn't Euler, but then again he is isn't anywhere close to Homer Simpson.

Anyone else with the same quality CV as a player doing what he’s doing at Derby would merit a close look but there is still be the issue of limited managerial experience.

But Rooney has little pressure imo. He’s a big name that they’re “lucky” to have and their circumstances are so dire that the expectations were very low. It was all upside. That he’s even got them this close to staying up makes him look like a hero.

As the prodigal son for us, coming in at a time of crisis, the pressure would be enormous. His history would get the fans behind him but it would be a lot of pressure too. If the golden boy couldn’t keep the club up….

We haven’t seen enough to know if he’s got the stuff to handle that. In another year, maybe.

Also: His penchant for getting into trouble in his personal life and his possible substance abuse problem are red flags for me. Can get away with that as a star player, to an extent. Can’t be doing that stuff as the manager. Can’t trust the reins to such a person and expect him to be a leader of men. I’d want to know that that was behind him.
What substance abuse? he likes a bevvy and while I agree his social shenanigans don't look good, I've not seen anything about substance abuse.

It seems to be boiling down to Rooney or Lampard.
I don't have a strong preference for one or the other and there are arguments for and against each of them.

Who could be the better manager for Everton ?
I think I might just favour Rooney as he would know exactly what he is taking on and will even have played with some our squad during his time at the club.

I think both have the potential to be a success or a failure .
I would guess people like Bill Kenwright, Duncan Ferguson, Tim Cahill and other decision makers will know both personally and know their strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:

If we even have a legal / HR department any more the last paragraph is a huge red flag and I’m going straight to the board to say just that. Re-reading the story from 6 months ago the girls he was in that hotel room with were 21 but honestly it’s more luck than judgement they weren’t heavily made-up 15 year olds.

People change and if it was 6 years ago the concerns would fade but 6 months ago, and while a club manager, that’s a big issue, for obvious reasons.

My concern would be his off the field behaviour at times he let's himself down and it would not show grow great leadership.
But I think he could be a very good manager who understands the game and players the world over know .
I'd give him a chance though. Pity it wasn't done a month ago though when less pressure on initially

I voted 'Yes' - not that I think he's the right fit currently but the alternatives worry me. No issue with Big Duncan temporarily but this has to be his last fling as I don't even think he will put up with another rejection despite his 'job for life' role (and at some point someone will come in and if Blue Bill is no longer around will get shot along with the likes of Unsworth and the other hangers on...with the exception of Cahill who, I strongly believe, could bring something to the table).

Not now. I wouldn't be against Rooney apart from the fact that I think it'd be a disaster for an inexperienced coach. He's done a good job at Derby, but the scale of the task of overhauling this mess of a squad is gargantuan, and there's no competent leadership in place to help him. I think it'd end up screwing both the club and his managerial career, no different to when Man Utd appointed Solskjaer. Let someone else come in and do the ugly work that needs to be done, see how Rooney pans out over a longer period and maybe then a few years down the line he'll be the right man.

As a Derby fan who was just having a look to see if you are nicking our manager this is my take.
Lampard - very stubborn. Plays to dominate possession often at the expense of making progress. You'd think he's better with the media but he can't actually handle criticism very well when things go bad. Generated a great relationship with our fans. There was a good relationship between him and the players but also a bit of a drinking culture which he took part in - blew up a bit after he left Google Keogh, Lawrence for details

Rooney - again stubborn. Plays out from back at all costs but style of play is a bit more progressive - more willing to play forward if it risks losing possession. He's more pragmatic than Lampard Very big on working hard in training - it doesn't matter who you are if you don't work you don't play. Surprisingly keeps his cool very well on the touchline and in the media. As some of you have said people think he's thick because he's a kid from a council estate but he's anything but - he's very measured - doesn't get too high or too low and keeps his eye on the long term war and doesn't get too caught up in one battle.

You'll guess I'd take Rooney 100% of the time - though I'm not saying Lampard would do a poor job. That said I don't think Rooney is ready for a big Prem job and I don't think he's a short term manager - he had a terrible run at the end of last season and if we could have afforded to sack him I reckon we would.

Good luck anyway.

Gerrard's accent is possibly even broader than Rooney's ,but nobody accuses him of being stupid. Yes he is more articulate in front of the cameras, but that isn't a sign of higher intellect.

Not sure you can be "real life stupid" and hold down a high profile job in the 21st century.
Rooney clearly isn't Euler, but then again he is isn't anywhere close to Homer Simpson.
Have you seen who is running the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.