Transfer Rumour Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need proven winners on the pitch though, and he doesn't have the ability to get in to the side. That's the big issue with him, he's not good enough and we'll just end up with another over-paid has been, blocking the path of younger players with more potential. We should be past that as a club now.

He's also not as model professional. By all accounts he hasn't looked after his body, and drinking, smoking etc. Are these really the examples we want to parade to the younger lads?

People put too much stock in this mythical 'he'll be great in the dressing room' these days. Just because someone is older doesn't mean they're going to be a positive influence. I remember reading Jimmy Greaves' book, and when he was at West Ham I think it was, and all he did was complain about the other players and go around with a bad attitude shouting at them 'to feet, to feet' because he no longer had the pace or movement he once had and his frustration spilled over in to his relationship with other players. There are loads of stories about older players like that.

If he does come I hope I'm wrong and he has a great season, but it just seems like a massive step backwards.
He could well be as you say. I have no way of being right in my opinion so there is the chance he is finished so to speak at this end and needs to chase the money instead.

It's been said by some in this thread but what stands out for me more than anything else is the passion and drive he would have to win something with everton. He is a blue and long after he retires he will still be a blue. But take away all the United medals he has, how much would a medal with Everton mean to him? How hard do you think he would fight to achieve that? Sometimes his bad attitude in the example you give isn't stinking the place out but would be frustration of why his team mates aren't raising their level to what he expects. Much like Neville, he knew the standard we needed to be at even if he wasn't himself.

We won't know until/if he came here and I could well be wrong in my way of thinking. Just don't rule out the lads passion and think if how much you love our club, and put it into the head of someone who has been successful and has now got the chance to do it with his club. Remember he will want to be the dad who lifted the league/cup with the team his kids are supporting.

Nope - it's desperation to get rid. :coffee:

They don't want a player, a club captain like him moping around, never mind paying the full wage to do just that.

It's exactly why Gary Neville said this.

Man Utd are desperate to get shut, and for good reason.

Let's have a look then.....

"You don't want that speculation to hang over a pre-season because every single press conference and media session will be clogged up with the issue of whether he is staying or going."

......hmmm.....in context what he has said is nowhere near what you appear to have inferred or are implying is it. No reflection there at all on Rooney as player or a haunted spectre that I could really see, in fact I'm sure his professionalism was praised last season.

He could well be as you say. I have no way of being right in my opinion so there is the chance he is finished so to speak at this end and needs to chase the money instead.

It's been said by some in this thread but what stands out for me more than anything else is the passion and drive he would have to win something with everton. He is a blue and long after he retires he will still be a blue. But take away all the United medals he has, how much would a medal with Everton mean to him? How hard do you think he would fight to achieve that? Sometimes his bad attitude in the example you give isn't stinking the place out but would be frustration of why his team mates aren't raising their level to what he expects. Much like Neville, he knew the standard we needed to be at even if he wasn't himself.

We won't know until/if he came here and I could well be wrong in my way of thinking. Just don't rule out the lads passion and think if how much you love our club, and put it into the head of someone who has been successful and has now got the chance to do it with his club. Remember he will want to be the dad who lifted the league/cup with the team his kids are supporting.
If I had as much passion for Everton as the traitor, I'd have jibbed us off 30 years ago and gone to support Chelski or ManU.

If I had as much passion for Everton as the traitor, I'd have jibbed us off 30 years ago and gone to support Chelski or ManU.

The same passion that had you an united player but used their spare time to come and watch Everton every chance you got? Or despite being at one of the biggest clubs in the world, have your kids regularly photographed wearing an Everton kit?

The lad left us to be successful as we were going nowhere and true enough he won everything and we won nothing. He left us for the right reasons no matter how bias anyone wants to be, more so if you believe we sold him to pay the bills at the time.

A veteran player who played for one of the best managers ever. Was world class and someone to work with the very young promising squad we currently have. a loan with united covering some of his wages has zero downside.
...And if he gets chunkier, we can lie him sideways across the goalmouth.
If it does not break the bank, I still think he is worth a go.

When Wayne left it turned out the best deal for both us and him. I don't believe him coming back will be the same. He'd be getting his dream swansong and all we will have in return is a player who is a shadow of his former self and one I can see becoming more and more frustrated as the legs give up on him. Can see him shouting at refs and picking up stupid bookings all over the shop.

Future member of the coaching staff? Noticed a lot of players say Koeman was an influence in signing for us, could see future forwards who have grown up watching Rooney jump at the chance to work with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back