Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Rumour Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not against your Icardi shout, but I don't think Ramirez agreed to come here as second choice. He was in demand in Spain and could have signed fo Atletico but for the ban. He will be our first choice centre forward and wear the sacred no9. I'm sure of it.

Could well be true. I had hoped though he was second choice and we'd go big if we lost rom, and what a second choice he would be. All depends who we sign as a replacement for lukaku (if at all we do)

As things stand I agree with Rodney Marsh. I don't think some people realise how important Rom was too us. We've improved the side in areas yes but we still need more goals adding to the side and more positions to strengthen

As regards to Rooney united don't want him. That should be enough to say he isn't good enough for us? Surely? We are fighting for top four with them

What your seeing with Rooney is a player who's fading fast at a relatively young age because he started playing regularly so young. He was first team at 16 and it's taken its toll

For all the rapturous visions of Rooney's second coming being posted here, I can also see a dejected figure who has failed to have any impact being subbed off for the last time and never playing another minute for the club. This is a high risk strategy for the club and for Rooney. As Clint's character says in Grand Torino, "It's gonna get [Poor language removed]' ugly!" As a club moving forward we do not want the Rooney project going pear-shaped to derail our season. Rooney has trouble written all over him.

As things stand I agree with Rodney Marsh. I don't think some people realise how important Rom was too us. We've improved the side in areas yes but we still need more goals adding to the side and more positions to strengthen

As regards to Rooney united don't want him. That should be enough to say he isn't good enough for us? Surely? We are fighting for top four with them

What your seeing with Rooney is a player who's fading fast at a relatively young age because he started playing regularly so young. He was first team at 16 and it's taken its toll

Unlike you to massively jump the gun mate.

We'll get a proper Lukaku replacement. Who, I have no idea. But Rooney isn't it.

Unlike you to massively jump the gun mate.

We'll get a proper Lukaku replacement. Who, I have no idea. But Rooney isn't it.

I hope so. I really hope so. When I see us being linked with Andre gray and josh king though it worries me.

Rooney I think is Ross replacement.

I suspect we'll have a Gascoigne type situation. He'll occasionally look boss against lesser opponents , and we'll see flashes of what once was. But eventually he'll just look mostly slow and slightly sad , and slip down the pecking order to obscurity.
Hell! I've actually cheered myself up a bit there. :)

I suspect we'll have a Gascoigne type situation. He'll occasionally look boss against lesser opponents , and we'll see flashes of what once was. But eventually he'll just look mostly slow and slightly sad , and slip down the pecking order to obscurity.
Hell! I've actually cheered myself up a bit there. :)
lol lol lol

For all the rapturous visions of Rooney's second coming being posted here, I can also see a dejected figure who has failed to have any impact being subbed off for the last time and never playing another minute for the club. This is a high risk strategy for the club and for Rooney. As Clint's character says in Grand Torino, "It's gonna get [Poor language removed]' ugly!" As a club moving forward we do not want the Rooney project going pear-shaped to derail our season. Rooney has trouble written all over him.
If he's motivated and can get himself fit then he's got something to offer us imo. Last year he looked completely disinterested being at united and he wasn't fit. Just looking at him he was overweight and you could tell the fire had gone.

It's a gamble us bringing him in for the wages but he is already raising our profile massively just by being linked with him. We are plastered over every paper, media outlet at the moment and that was before the lukaku news. I highly doubt he is going to be put up front to lead the line, hell be brought in to play the barkley role who can learn a hell of a lot from Rooney and his timing of passes. Barkley has all the skills, stature and talent to be a top attacking midfielder, Rooney has the brain. Hopefully he can pass some of that knowledge on to Ross. If he stays of course.

It could go either way. Writing him off simply because utd don't want him anymore is silly, they didn't want scneiderlin either and he was probably our best player this calender year. Mourinho also didn't want lukaku and is now about to break a world record to sign him back. I'm optimistic Rooney will come back, get fit, being around everton will stoke the fire in him and he will want to write some history with us and bring us some success. I absolutely understand the doubters but really what have we got to lose? We finished 7th last season and haven't won a trophy in 22 years. Sure he's expensive in terms of wages but we paid 13mill for niasse and 50k a week wages for a bloke who did absolutely nothing for us. Rooney's a gamble worth taking for me.

we're getting a player who could possibly return us 10 goals and 10 assists on a free! He's definitely capable of that. I wouldn't worry about the wages an awful lot, because he's not going to get too long of a contract. Hopefully 2 years + the option of an extension, but now he'll be here i don't see him wanting to leave for another club anyway.

I think he offers us much more pros than cons, especially with there being no fee. This is the statement signing of the summer i feel, it doesn't have to be a £30m fee, it's all about the name. I think our fans and maybe the english audience in genereal understate how big of a name he still is around europe, it will definitely raise eyebrows, as will the massive fee we're getting for lukaku. Just because he's had a bad few months on the pitch, does not mean he's now a small name.

I've had a few beers but I hope most people can follow my train of thought...

There has been a number of good points made about Rooney returning to Everton. This is how I see it; he will improve the side no doubt but at what cost? I'm going to ignore how Rooney left and the feelings Everton fans have about it. He's been treated so poorly by Man Utd fans and been a victim of his own potential but his goal record (Club & International) doesn't lie. That's why they're runner up in the worse fans going, second only to Real Madrid fans.

He is only 31 and he could take a lot more money by going to China or similar. So that means to me that he's either got some hunger left or he's earnt enough money that he's happy to accept a measly £8mil a year without having to move home. While stroking his ego by returning to his boyhood club. My thought's have always been, if he's not good enough for Man Utd then it's not enough for Everton.

I've almost finished my negative view, so please bear with me. If anyone has played Football Manager before, they'll know about highest earners clauses. With Rooney joining at a reported £150,000 p/w, where does that leave the rest of the squad? Isn't that the same amount that Lukaku was offered before turning it down? That was also a club record wage offer, if you're going to offer that why not go further? If you're going to set a new level for high earners, why do it for a unknown variable? If you can go to 150k, why not go to 200k for a player who you know will score you goals? What will other players think of it? What are Colemans wages?

It's all rumours at the moment so no one knows (but it doesn't taste like gold). I believe he still has more left to give and isn't ready for the knackers yard yet. Under the right manager and situation, he's still a high calibre player in the Premier League. At the end of the day, just like everything. It all comes down to money.

TL;DR - Rooney would be a great addition if his wages are in-keeping with the current structure. Breaking that and I think it will be a mistake.

If he's motivated and can get himself fit then he's got something to offer us imo. Last year he looked completely disinterested being at united and he wasn't fit. Just looking at him he was overweight and you could tell the fire had gone.

It's a gamble us bringing him in for the wages but he is already raising our profile massively just by being linked with him. We are plastered over every paper, media outlet at the moment and that was before the lukaku news. I highly doubt he is going to be put up front to lead the line, hell be brought in to play the barkley role who can learn a hell of a lot from Rooney and his timing of passes. Barkley has all the skills, stature and talent to be a top attacking midfielder, Rooney has the brain. Hopefully he can pass some of that knowledge on to Ross. If he stays of course.

It could go either way. Writing him off simply because utd don't want him anymore is silly, they didn't want scneiderlin either and he was probably our best player this calender year. Mourinho also didn't want lukaku and is now about to break a world record to sign him back. I'm optimistic Rooney will come back, get fit, being around everton will stoke the fire in him and he will want to write some history with us and bring us some success. I absolutely understand the doubters but really what have we got to lose? We finished 7th last season and haven't won a trophy in 22 years. Sure he's expensive in terms of wages but we paid 13mill for niasse and 50k a week wages for a bloke who did absolutely nothing for us. Rooney's a gamble worth taking for me.

Good post. Agree with everything except the profile. Yes it does raise our profile, but i think in an extremely negative way swapping an up and coming world class striker for an over the hill striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back