Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
..absolutely. RK needs to back his own judgement in the transfer market, Sigurdsson wasn't only his most expensive purchase he was also declared the no1 target.

I reckon Koeman watched his team last season and thought Sigurdsson would be a big improvement in a role supporting Lukaku. We rarely had a player getting alongside and beyond Lukaku in the way Sigurdsson would. The trouble is, Lukaku left and the acquisition of Rooney has muddied the waters.

Rooney looks like a buy because from the owner/chairman/manager down they all thought he was too good to pass up for various reasons, and they completely ignored what other players they where set on bringing in when deciding to get him.

Klassen i have the feeling that Koeman wanted him to replace Davies - either because he didn't think Davies would continue his form or improve upon it from last season, or that he doesn't rate him as highly as he rated Klassen (maybe he thought Klassen was basically a better goal scoring version of Davies)

What makes some players tick and what positions suit them seems to have been completely ignored when bringing players in, Rooney needs pace up front and around him, Klassen need pacey wide players, and Sigurdsson ideally needs a target man, and all three need to play the same position, instead we bought all 3 and then none of the types of players each needs to be at his best. so 2 are constantly being played out of position and all 3 have none of the types of players because of that which will let them show what they can do.

He may indeed score a fair few this season, he may get rated at times as the best player in the game for us, but ultimately the more games we start with Rooney playing the poorer the season will turn out for us, not because of him individually but because of the effect of playing him has on the rest and balance of the entire team

Nah mate, Davies thankfully is versatile enough that he can play wider etc and still really factor in, in fact a little less disciplined approach for him in a game seems to allow him to play more naturally and have more an impact.

If you pay 45m on a player, you play him in his best position regardless if you have someone called Rooney also in the squad, otherwise you simply shouldn't have ever bought the player, Gana and Schneiderlin don't IMO anyway work together well as a pair, one or the other needs dropping, not both though, actually think McCarthy if he was fit and in form etc would be a better partner for either than the one he'd replace would be, he's much more disciplined than either

I'd rather have Davies in the middle tbh,
He's the only genuine box to box midfielder available,
Gana is arguably the better of the two currently in there,but neither offer anything at all going forward,its negative from the outset and effectively playing With 6 defenders.
Siggurdsson hasn't had a kick since he's been here and he needs to be more involved,due to the formation no doubt,that's why I'd like to see him alongside Davies,where he could still get forward.
Hate having DM's biggest cop out of all time,one goes forward,one sits in and repeat.
Can't see McCarthy kicking a ball for us again tbh.

Quiet game yesterday but he's been our most consistently good performer this season.

Because of who he is the drama queens and media will seemingly always polarise the debate. He's either fantastic or cack, we should either build the team around him or bench him forever.

He's just a very good footballer who will have some good games and some bad ones. Finding a system is going to be tricky but it isn't impossible.

Quiet game yesterday but he's been our most consistently good performer this season.

Because of who he is the drama queens and media will seemingly always polarise the debate. He's either fantastic or cack, we should either build the team around him or bench him forever.

He's just a very good footballer who will have some good games and some bad ones. Finding a system is going to be tricky but it isn't impossible.
I consider him the most versatile of the 4 CM's Ronald chooses. His movement and motor/energy are excellent, and he can carry the ball quite decently as well as pick a pass. Playmaking box to box midfielders are very difficult to come by these days.

Rooney is lacking a bit of sharpness...it will come back to him. Just a bit rusty seeing how little football he played in last couple of seasons. He is clever footballe. Finding space to score and create goals...let's be patient
That is honestly not true

Last season was the first that he wasn't a guaranteed starter at United since Alex Ferguson retired.

Louis Van Gaal even went and said the following http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ers-and-will-always-play-reveals-9745037.html

He largely stuck to that too until his own demise.

He's our most productive and positive player.

It's a shame the rest, bar Davies and Gana, tend to just look lost while he's bombing about.

Rooney looks like a buy because from the owner/chairman/manager down they all thought he was too good to pass up for various reasons, and they completely ignored what other players they where set on bringing in when deciding to get him.

Klassen i have the feeling that Koeman wanted him to replace Davies - either because he didn't think Davies would continue his form or improve upon it from last season, or that he doesn't rate him as highly as he rated Klassen (maybe he thought Klassen was basically a better goal scoring version of Davies)

What makes some players tick and what positions suit them seems to have been completely ignored when bringing players in, Rooney needs pace up front and around him, Klassen need pacey wide players, and Sigurdsson ideally needs a target man, and all three need to play the same position, instead we bought all 3 and then none of the types of players each needs to be at his best. so 2 are constantly being played out of position and all 3 have none of the types of players because of that which will let them show what they can do.

He may indeed score a fair few this season, he may get rated at times as the best player in the game for us, but ultimately the more games we start with Rooney playing the poorer the season will turn out for us, not because of him individually but because of the effect of playing him has on the rest and balance of the entire team

Made my head hurt a bit when I first read it, but you're spot on there.

Unfortunately I suspect he'll continue to try and shoe horn them all in, inc Rooney, just to prove he knows best and to justify the cost.

He's our most productive and positive player.

It's a shame the rest, bar Davies and Gana, tend to just look lost while he's bombing about.

I won't drop the record signing and we need power and pace up front. DCL and Niasse deserve to start against Burnley.

If Koeman still go back to playing all the 3 slow AM all over again he really will get himself and the club in big trouble. Everyone realises this crap setup with no width was not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back