2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he was central to the problem because of the amount of times he gave the ball away and how he played his own game again - meaning there was no fluidity in the final third - quick example - him being miles away from DCL.
i do think he still has something to offer but we cant afford his posiitonal indiscipline. Mid way through the second half, he came deep, demanded the ball off the back four, got it, looked up and there was no one to pass to, so passed it back and it was lumped up to no one because Rooney was stood by the back four.

I felt there was better more balance in our attack today, the same on Wednesday.

The midfield and defence are huge areas of concern.

Same defence as last season really - with a much better keeper.

The problem for me is the final third.

We've scored 7 league goals this season.

There's no belief we can do anything in the final third, and that confidence crisis will impact the rest of the team.

Rooney has been central to that final third and I think a big part of the problem.

Agree he hasnt been great but he deserves another chance to play from the start as Rooney deserves to be dropped.
As we are now in crisis mode whether anyone believes it or not a true run out with Rooney not in the team maybe Siggy can respond we have to try numerous options before the New Year. Points are needed in a big way.

The point was more that he's the one that gets the brunt of the anger. Like Rom and Ross did, like Osman did and so and so on.

The problem is the team as a whole, not just one.

Mate he does what he wants and goes where he wants. Dont you see how thats a problem? Imagine if they all done that.

If players cant keep their shape then other players get dragged out of position to try and cover which leaves us exposed in places, or leaves others completely isolated.

Not only that he loses the ball in dangerous areas which given our confidence levels is going to see us punished. He's got no discipline and also slows play down, which was a big problem for England and Utd - now its ours.

Same defence as last season really - with a much better keeper.

The problem for me is the final third.

We've scored 7 league goals this season.

There's no belief we can do anything in the final third, and that confidence crisis will impact the rest of the team.

Rooney has been central to that final third and I think a big part of the problem.

The defence is another year older. Jagielka and Williams shouldn't be starting. Baines, as shown today when Gray ran him ragged, should been replaced. And we've no decent right back other than Coleman.

Then there's the midfield that doesn't have a link up player, an actual central midfielder. We have two busy ball winners and a DM who blows more cold than hot.

We're also lacking a creative drive. And I'm sorry, Ross Barkley leaves a huge hole in our squad for that.

He stops too frequently and allows defenses to set themselves. He needs to drive with the ball and force the defense to be honest. It's too easy to pick him off and nobody takes him as a serious threat. I don't think we will fix anything unless we get Barkley back or a more dynamic player in the middle. One great pass aside, he wasn't influential in the game.

Mate he does what he wants and goes where he wants. Dont you see how thats a problem? Imagine if they all done that.

If players cant keep their shape then other players get dragged out of position to try and cover which leaves us exposed in places, or leaves others completely isolated.

Not only that he loses the ball in dangerous areas which given our confidence levels is going to see us punished. He's got no discipline and also slows play down, which was a big problem for England and Utd - now its ours.

He drops deep as there is no one on his level and with his passing range. The midfield is full of the same type that aren't going to pick the ball from defence or carry it over the half way line.

As for attack, we have to admit we haven't got anyone that stands out. We certainly don't have anyone clever enough movement wise.

He loses the ball which I totally admit, but the rest of the team aren't organised or drilled to compensate for anyone losing the ball at the moment. Davies, Morgan, and Gana have lost the ball a lot this season in bad areas too and we've looked a mess.

United fan I work with said this signing would wreck our team and was worried for us....perhaps he was right.

They’ve improved no end as well

If we're going to play him, he needs to stay up top. I know he doesn't have the agility he used to but he's probably our best striker of the ball. He is completely wasted when he comes back to the halfway line, does a 1-2 with Baines and the ball goes along the defence to the other fullback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back