Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've long been against letting him play deep, but the options are so limited that I now think Allardyce may as well give him a run there.

I'm not expecting him to be effective against anyone other than the dregs of the league at home, but I suppose he's earned himself a proper go at it.
In my opinion he is the best player ever to come out of England. His talent has meant he has been asked to play a wide variety of roles for team benefit. Unlike most of his level the team is his priority. Not what he was ten years ago but still enough skill to massively effect a game. Fortunately he plays for us.

In my opinion he is the best player ever to come out of England. His talent has meant he has been asked to play a wide variety of roles for team benefit. Unlike most of his level the team is his priority. Not what he was ten years ago but still enough skill to massively effect a game. Fortunately he plays for us.

People forget how good he was in his prime. Unbelievable player leagues above the likes of Gerrard Lampard Terry etc. talent wise. Probably only Scholes had the technique that he had but Rooney arguably could have played Scholes position as well as his own upfront.

The comparisons between Barkley and a young Rooney are laughable. One is a very good attacking mid in the prem (when he wants to be and isn’t playing the delicate flower Roscoe card) the other is arguably one of the greatest English players of all time.

People forget how good he was in his prime. Unbelievable player leagues above the likes of Gerrard Lampard Terry etc. talent wise. Probably only Scholes had the technique that he had but Rooney arguably could have played Scholes position as well as his own upfront.

The comparisons between Barkley and a young Rooney are laughable. One is a very good attacking mid in the prem (when he wants to be and isn’t playing the delicate flower Roscoe card) the other is arguably one of the greatest English players of all time.
My Man U friends...yes I know..tell me while Ronaldo was getting the plaudits Rooney was running the games.

My Man U friends...yes I know..tell me while Ronaldo was getting the plaudits Rooney was running the games.

I personally think he won them a couple of titles by dragging them to it.

Lost that terrific burst he had to skip past players 3/4 seasons ago but still has loads to give and EVERY game he plays I think he knows he has something to prove.

I'd bloody love it if he slotted a couple against those gang of knobheads on Sunday and won us 3 points.

Could be a tough game to play centre mid Sunday as they'll be after him but one thing he won't do is stop asking for the ball.

To much of a team player for his own good. I love the player he was and love the fact he could and would play anywhere. But if he was a bell like Ronaldo for example, he would have been remembered as a much better player than he was. His quality even today stands out like dogs balls. If he went to Barca or Madrid when he was 23-24 he would have been remembered as one of the greats... he would have torn that league a new a hole

I remember Rio Ferdinand (one of the better pundits out there IMO) saying that while Ronaldo scored 40 a season, Rooney could have done that, but played second fiddle for the good of the team but that he was every bit as talented.

I was always amazed that the media whipped up a witch hunt about this lad playing deeper. I remember 5+ years ago him saying thats where he would end his career. It was always part of the plan.

Unfortunately for Wayne, he is the obvious whipping boy, for under performance at some tournaments and if we're honest unprofessional conduct in getting himself ready. That alongside Hodgson messing up a third consecutive tournament meant Hodgson making a big (and in my view) correct call that Rooney was best served as a midfielder got vilified. It partially led to Mournho the pragmatist to announce he'd be playing up front to get the press on side, and then use him deeper or scapegoat him from one of Van Gaal's side.

For me he has everything to be a very good Central midfield player, if he is lucky for a number of years (3-4) yet. He has always had very good vision, spacial awareness and technique to spray the ball both sides. He joins in from deep naturally and is capable of getting his foot in. I remember the Semi Final against United 2 years ago and he ran the game for an hour, and was the bets player on the pitch by some distance.

He clearly wants to dominate the ball, and to allow him to do that best is to play him deeper. I think some hoped Klaasen/Sigurdsson would do this, but it is neither of their games.

I would class him in the same vein, and similar attributes as Scholes/Pirlo. If used properly he can have a similar impact for us.

It's a big statement. He must be up there with the most decorated at club level, and was a great striker in his day.

As I said earlier, he'll be able to play deep against poor teams that will stand off, but I think I'll be exposed in there by the better sides.

It's a big statement. He must be up there with the most decorated at club level, and was a great striker in his day.

As I said earlier, he'll be able to play deep against poor teams that will stand off, but I think I'll be exposed in there by the better sides.
Trouble with Rooney is that he never was a striker. Far more to him than that single role. As a No10 the best there ever has been.

He had some good games in midfield for United but he also had some absolute shockers, to the point where they had to stop with the idea he could play there.

No qualms with him staying there given his performances in the last two games but I think he'll be exposed every time we're away from home or against any side that presses with some sort of intensity.

Sunday is a huge test for him. We need something special.

Trouble with Rooney is that he never was a striker. Far more to him than that single role. As a No10 the best there ever has been.

Trouble for Rooney is how he started his career. At 16 years old he was running games in the top flight. I think it was 0-0 at home to Bolton and he was ripping them to shreds at will. Still not sure how we managed to draw that. Anyway, he set such a high standard for himself and didn't quite live up to that so people are overly harsh on him. England performances at major tournaments have a lot to do with it as well probably. Still a a fantastic career and one of the best of his generation no doubt.

When he first broke in I thought he was the closest thing you'd see to the Brazilian Ronaldo. He also had some great years playing through the centre at United - most notably the season where they lost a Champions League final to Barcelona for the second time (2010/11, I think).

I don't know where I'd rank him all-time, but he's one of the few English attackers that could have played in any country, covering multiple positions. Could easily imagine him being someone that Cruyff would have liked.

I would love it if he could drop into midfield and dictate games, but I think it's under-appreciated how hard that is to do. I don't see him suddenly becoming a Pirlo/Fabregas-type.

If you go back Sam did visit the dressing room and spoke to the players about the importance of a clean sheet and scoring first.
lol "Right lads we need to keep a clean sheet and score first here to really give ourselves a chance of winning this one"

I personally think he won them a couple of titles by dragging them to it.

Lost that terrific burst he had to skip past players 3/4 seasons ago but still has loads to give and EVERY game he plays I think he knows he has something to prove.

I'd bloody love it if he slotted a couple against those gang of knobheads on Sunday and won us 3 points.

Could be a tough game to play centre mid Sunday as they'll be after him but one thing he won't do is stop asking for the ball.

I'd play him central mid, and wouldn't be shocked should Can or Henderson gets sent off for trying to do a jarg Derby hard man act and going through him.

Also think we will need someone deep who can try hit a deep ball through to Niasse or DCL to try pressure those cb's of there's and Rooney is the best in the squad at that.

Throw in the feeling that we will need to create a couple of special moments in this game and both Rooney and Sigurdsson are capable of pulling something special out of nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back