Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.

image.webp
Of course not but I don't see many other midfielders of ours scoring very often, do you?

I get why people are divided on him, but it has never made any sense to me having a go at a player who is our top scorer? I agree he gives the ball away too much, i agree he is probably on way too much money, i agree he needs to have the fly on his kecks sewn up and hire a permament driver to prevent him geting behind the wheel of a car with bevvy in him.

And yet, from a purely pragmatic standpoint, he was brought in to score goals and influence games, and it cannot be denied he has done both. Has he done it as often as i would like? No! Has he done it as often as his wages and experience suggest he should? Again, No!

Has he done it more than anyone else in the team? I would say he has, so on that fact alone, i would also say he should be down the queue on people getting ragged on here? As Ilikecheese said, we gave Rom stick, but we have done this with virtually every goalscorer I can remember, from Rooney, through Rom, then the Yak, Jelavic, Sharpy, Lineker, etc. Going right back to Bob Latchford and joe Royle. It just seems to be our M.O. in that we turn on somebody who is doing it, maybe not as much as he should, but doing it all the same! Funny lot we are really!

Yes, Sigurdsson had he been deployed correctly. But no, we had to fit the piss head in the team somehow.

I take some of your points mate.
Siggy should play in the number 10 role.
Rooney is different class to anything that we have as a creative , deeper lying midfielder, and can get stuck in as well.
His understanding with Walcott is great.
Lets be honest, Rooney is one of our better players, and is trying his best.
Some of us should appreciate that, and give him a break !

God knows where we would be without Rooney's goals this season, penos or not.

His goals have led to 9 points this season, 2 wins and 3 draws, so without his goals in the two games we won 1 0 we would of drawn those 0 0 and still got a point in each, so at Newcastle and against Stoke he got us 2 extra points in each

If he scores no goals this season we still would of got 0 0 in those 2 games and got one point each from them

We are on 40 points take away those 7 points he has won by himself puts us on 33 points but Newcastle have one more, so we would be 13th, teams behind us have games in hand and we have City and Liverpool coming up?

He has also got a couple of assists but i cant find which games they were in?

EDIT also to add we have only won 3 points this season in games he hasnt played in, he has played in games that we won 37 points in

Last edited:

In thread up to the Charlie Adam sending off he done a cracking tackle which set us up to counter but we gave it away and he then got the tackle in on Adam who got sent off.

yeah that's the one I was remembering, it was clean as a whistle too haha, tony hibbert would have been proud

I get why people are divided on him, but it has never made any sense to me having a go at a player who is our top scorer? I agree he gives the ball away too much, i agree he is probably on way too much money, i agree he needs to have the fly on his kecks sewn up and hire a permament driver to prevent him geting behind the wheel of a car with bevvy in him.

And yet, from a purely pragmatic standpoint, he was brought in to score goals and influence games, and it cannot be denied he has done both. Has he done it as often as i would like? No! Has he done it as often as his wages and experience suggest he should? Again, No!

Has he done it more than anyone else in the team? I would say he has, so on that fact alone, i would also say he should be down the queue on people getting ragged on here? As Ilikecheese said, we gave Rom stick, but we have done this with virtually every goalscorer I can remember, from Rooney, through Rom, then the Yak, Jelavic, Sharpy, Lineker, etc. Going right back to Bob Latchford and joe Royle. It just seems to be our M.O. in that we turn on somebody who is doing it, maybe not as much as he should, but doing it all the same! Funny lot we are really!

if at the beginning of the season ignoring how he has played, we had said 10 goals and some influence to go with it, we would have called it a success, so I call it a success

He is currently the heart beat of the side. Not a patch on the old Rooney so comparisons must stop there and look at him with new eyes. He is doing a decent job of connecting the team together in a new role. Even an experienced player such as Rooney has to adapt to a different way of playing and I believe he is adapting quickly. He does sometimes get caught in possession and sometimes gives the ball away but that is to be expected as he probably does more passing on the pitch than any other player. He is also not a safety at all costs passer, if he sees the opportunity of a defence splitting pass he will go for it rather than turning back and playing the safe sideways pass. I would rate him as a success this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back