Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the other hand ... If every pass resulted in a goal, the scorelines of every match would be a lot higher.
True.

but when you look at top players and how little waste of the ball there is and look at rooney, the difference is champions league and league 2! I just get the impression a little bit that Rooney is talked up more simply because he is rooney, like winning a home game following burnley and watford, people seem to forget quickly the bad which distorts views a little bit.

I mean to answer @orly my players of the season at current rate are going to be Walcott, Siggurdson (by default), Niasse for offering greater contributions. Sigg for example has created far more than rooney, Niasse has scored more important goals than rooney and Walcott is too good to be in this current team let's be honest

It's interesting that some people slate him for giving the ball away too often, which admittedly he does in a lot of games. However, part of that is because he actually tries to play crossfield balls and move us forward quickly. He does need to improve on how often he gives the ball away, but he gives us something no other player in our squad can give us.

I wonder if a lot of the people who slate him are also the ones who also slate Gana, McCarthy, Schneiderlin etc for playing it backwards and sideways as they are limited in possession?

I appreciate that he shouldn't give possession away so easily at times but he is still a very good player at this level and his passing range is still up there with the best players in the entire league, even at his age and with him past his best.

Excellent performance on Saturday as well, throwing tackles in, moving us forward, and playing crossfield balls with ease. He is a great squad player to have.

It's interesting that some people slate him for giving the ball away too often, which admittedly he does in a lot of games. However, part of that is because he actually tries to play crossfield balls and move us forward quickly. He does need to improve on how often he gives the ball away, but he gives us something no other player in our squad can give us.

I wonder if a lot of the people who slate him are also the ones who also slate Gana, McCarthy, Schneiderlin etc for playing it backwards and sideways as they are limited in possession?

I appreciate that he shouldn't give possession away so easily at times but he is still a very good player at this level and his passing range is still up there with the best players in the entire league, even at his age and with him past his best.

Excellent performance on Saturday as well, throwing tackles in, moving us forward, and playing crossfield balls with ease. He is a great squad player to have.

Counter argument to that is That any team who actually get anywhere don't lose the ball so easy over and over again. The best teams can keep the ball and make things happen attack wise. So having a player like Rooney who is quite wasteful is neglecting the odd chance he does create because it loses possession and puts us defensive again. Which by default makes those attempts to get forward meaningless if the end result most of the time is us defending again or chasing the ball

Rooney can still do a job for us that is clear, he still plays a good game & his influence is vital for Everton going forward...

Still our top goalscorer I believe...

He has played ok. Done a job, deffo isnt all Billy Big Balls, and we have no idea about any off field influence he has. But I would contend, that any he does have, is positive.

Is he Rooney as a 16 to 24 year old? No. Is he a clever, reinvented quality squad player? To this observer, yes.

I've enjoyed Wayne playing the deep midfield role in the last two games.

His influence and experience is vital for the youngsters, his passing is still the best at the club and he remained committed to the role without losing his head and wandering off.

True.

but when you look at top players and how little waste of the ball there is and look at rooney, the difference is champions league and league 2! I just get the impression a little bit that Rooney is talked up more simply because he is rooney, like winning a home game following burnley and watford, people seem to forget quickly the bad which distorts views a little bit.

I mean to answer @orly my players of the season at current rate are going to be Walcott, Siggurdson (by default), Niasse for offering greater contributions. Sigg for example has created far more than rooney, Niasse has scored more important goals than rooney and Walcott is too good to be in this current team let's be honest

Of all those mis places passes if none lead to a goal against us and then one of them comes off and does lead to for us.. surely it's worth it?

I'm not concerned so much about when he gives the ball away from attempting passes - all players do misplace passes after all.

The area I have a problem with is his awareness in our own half when receiving the ball. He is slow on the turn and wants too much time. I'm sure teams have targeted him knowing he can be robbed of possession putting us in danger. What Michael Carrick and to a lesser extent Barry made look easy, is something Rooney is finding difficult.

Fair point but he often gives the ball away playing simple passes too. I find it hard to warm to him and am not bothered when he's not picked. But appreciate he can make a contribution

I'm not concerned so much about when he gives the ball away from attempting passes - all players do misplace passes after all.

The area I have a problem with is his awareness in our own half when receiving the ball. He is slow on the turn and wants too much time. I'm sure teams have targeted him knowing he can be robbed of possession putting us in danger. What Michael Carrick and to a lesser extent Barry made look easy, is something Rooney is finding difficult.

Well of course, compare when Guaye has the ball, lots of opposition stand off him even let him run, the whole point of playing Rooney is that given time he will hurt most teams so the opposition break shape in charging him down, and the ball is to be laid off down to Walcott or Bolasie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back