Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Tom Davies would be thanking him for it, but the chipped pass that eventually resulted in Davies being clattered and taken off was sublime. Saturday was his best game so far this season.

He's a shadow of his former self which is no surprise but it does pop through now and again with some moments of good football that can occasionally still change a game but It really wasn't worth the wait so far his homecoming so far. He started off scoring a decent number of goals but that faded after a few months and he's been stuck around the same number since yet stayed our top scorer so can't really pick him out for blame as to our predicament.

he has been one of our best players this year. his range of passing is class. he creates chances each game. never shy's away and every new singing has praised how much eh has helped them.

Of course not but I don't see many other midfielders of ours scoring very often, do you?

When was the last time he actually scored? Genuine question, i can't remember.

Comfortably player of the season

I disagree, i think people seem to largely forget what he doesn't do for what he does. For example he can pull off a boss pass to the striker and we score. It disregards the 5 other long passes that just gave the ball away, the dozens of simple passes that he somehow fails, the lack of ability to track accross the middle and the lack of a tackle.

If Rooney was replaced by James McCarthy for example, same position and same output no-one would speak so highly of a midfielder who is incredibly wasteful in possesion most weeks.

You will probably be able to say that about our whole team. Rooney is like Barry in a way... he doesn't deal well with pace or pressure sometimes

According to a large portion of our fanbase he hasn't had a bad game all season and has ran every single game for 90 minutes so really he should still be at United winning them the league and CL.

According to a large portion of our fanbase he hasn't had a bad game all season and has ran every single game for 90 minutes so really he should still be at United winning them the league and CL.
Agreed. They overrate him, but he has found his place in the heart of the midfield. If we sign more players like Walcott, he will look better as well.

Agree he's been much better since moving back into midfield, the first quarter of this season with him playing up front was agonising.
No he was absolutely terrible in the first half of the season which is insane considering the amount of goals he scored. Funny how he has been a much better player now that the goals have dried up. When he played behind the striker the ball just wouldn't stick and we would be pinned for 90 percent of the game.

To be fair, sometimes hes looking for things around him that he would have had at United, instead he gets nobody moving and no intrciate link up at all.

Not saying he hasnt been tosh in games, cause he has, but the amount of times hes looking around for some movement or some intelligence is many.

His goals have led to 9 points this season, 2 wins and 3 draws, so without his goals in the two games we won 1 0 we would of drawn those 0 0 and still got a point in each, so at Newcastle and against Stoke he got us 2 extra points in each

If he scores no goals this season we still would of got 0 0 in those 2 games and got one point each from them

We are on 40 points take away those 7 points he has won by himself puts us on 33 points but Newcastle have one more, so we would be 13th, teams behind us have games in hand and we have City and Liverpool coming up?

He has also got a couple of assists but i cant find which games they were in?

EDIT also to add we have only won 3 points this season in games he hasnt played in, he has played in games that we won 37 points in
Mate.

If you took the top goal scorers goals out of every team in the league, I doubt the league table would look much different to what it is now.

He's a shadow of his former self which is no surprise but it does pop through now and again with some moments of good football that can occasionally still change a game but It really wasn't worth the wait so far his homecoming so far. He started off scoring a decent number of goals but that faded after a few months and he's been stuck around the same number since yet stayed our top scorer so can't really pick him out for blame as to our predicament.
I think he's proven that, when he plays in one of the front positions, he's not a shadow of the former player.

However, he fills a void that we have in the midfield, and if we surround him with players like Gana, Davies and McCarthy, then he gives us a level of control in the game that nobody else is capable of doing.

I don't think Tom Davies would be thanking him for it, but the chipped pass that eventually resulted in Davies being clattered and taken off was sublime. Saturday was his best game so far this season.

Thought his best game was the first of the season personally

I disagree, i think people seem to largely forget what he doesn't do for what he does. For example he can pull off a boss pass to the striker and we score. It disregards the 5 other long passes that just gave the ball away, the dozens of simple passes that he somehow fails, the lack of ability to track accross the middle and the lack of a tackle.

If Rooney was replaced by James McCarthy for example, same position and same output no-one would speak so highly of a midfielder who is incredibly wasteful in possesion most weeks.
On the other hand ... If every pass resulted in a goal, the scorelines of every match would be a lot higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back