Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d like us to have a better option but I don’t think we do. Who in our current squad would you prefer in his place?

Well in his current defensive position, Beningime and Gana are much better, more energetic options both of whom make a tackle on a regular basis.

And in the so-called 'number 10' spot, Sigurdsson of course. Maybe Dowell in contention next season too. And even Klaassen over Rooney.

If all were fit, I'd have a trio of Sigurdsson, Davies and Gana behind the front three.

And on Saturday I'd have gone for Beningime and Davies over a pedestrian Rooney and Schneiderlin.

I see no need, place or portfolio for Rooney except off the bench if we need change with 15/20 minutes to go - and then play him where he's best: up front alongside whoever else we have there that day.

He never was and never will be a midfield maestro... particularly a defensive one.

It was a beauty, but for some it has given him a whole season's grace and favour.

In truth though, he's currently holding the team back, denying people like Davies and Beningime playing/development time - in a position which is much more theirs than his.

And when he's not playing a killer pass straight to an opponent's feet or consistently losing the ball because he hasn't got a clue who's close to him, he provides no barrier whatsoever to the defence nor threat in the other half of the field.

Overpaid waste of a place in a team that already has plenty of other candidates for the title. And all because he's Wayne Rooney.

Schneiderlin gets booed every week for that!

Up until Saturday, Davies had been playing ALONG SIDE Rooney and doing well, should not have been dropped for the cheese eating surrender monkey

If all were fit, I'd have a trio of Sigurdsson, Davies and Gana behind the front three.

And on Saturday I'd have gone for Beningime and Davies over a pedestrian Rooney and Schneiderlin.
I agree with you here. Although I think Rooney has done a decent job in midfield when he’s had energetic players around him. He adds more creativity and goal threat than any of our other CM’s aside from Sigurdsson.

His career is dwindling, anyone who expected to see him running games and playing every game is kidding themselves. He may have thought he could, but time catches up on everyone,

For what it’s worth, I think he’s had a good year on the pitch. Scored important goals, remember Stoke at home & Newcastle away, never shown dissent to whatever manager has been on the sidelines and gone about his job. The trick v the Hammers showed what was there.

A shade of who he was, the thought is there but the influence isn’t. Better than Gascoigne in a Blue shirt (played well against Orient in the Cup though!).

Not really sure of his position on the pitch anymore. He can’t play Centre Fireworks, gets in the way of more creative players at 10, gives it away too easily as a 6.

If the right offer comes this summer....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back