Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Everton player ratings on the ESPN Sport website today (in which Rooney ranked joint bottom with Schneiderlin with 2/10): No amount of dreaming is going to turn a fading striker into an effective defensive midfielder. No tackles or interceptions defined a miserable outing in which the game went on around him.

And we pay him £150,000 a week! Unspeakable stupidity.

That, in a nutshell, is all that is wrong with the way Everton is run, managed and motivated.

A Catherine Cookson novel of a football club where typically, just as one gives up hope, the hero appears on the horizon... but sadly he's bald, p*ssed, overweight, impotent and ends up running off with the heroine's 60-year-old mum!

And yet hes our leading goalscorer.

Been playing far too deep for me...
Rooney needs to get forward more where he can hurt the opposition...

The answer usually always lies somewhere in the middle. I think he'd be significantly better if he had two dominant, well-rounded players next to him in the midfield. Is it worth it to go out of your way to accommodate him? Probably not. He is less hopeless than Barry was in his final days, but he doesn't have the legs to compete like he used to with Sir Alex.

You should always buy a player for what he can do not for what he has done.
He was essentially advertised as the biggest signing of the summer, which pretty much tells you how we fared in the summer transfer window. He was a signing made for marketing purposes. Don't get me wrong- I don't think he has been the absolute atrocity that some seem to think, but we need to strive for better.

And yet hes our leading goalscorer.

Lies, damned lies and statistics...

Time to put this 'top goalscorer' justification into context:

He's not scored for 12 games.

If it hadn't have been for penalties, he'd have seven goals not 10, putting him level with Niasse who has played one third less games - and only three of those for the full 90 minutes. That puts Rooney on a par with those other Everton 'greats', James Beattie and Andy Johnson!

He has missed THREE penalties - as many as he has scored.

The hat-trick he scored at West Ham was about as difficult to achieve as City's 3-1 mauling of us on Saturday (for which he was one of the chief lazy-arsed, ineffective reasons).

However, if you or anyone else think that justifies him being picked every week - as a defensive midfielder - then I rest my case...

Lies, damned lies and statistics...

Time to put this 'top goalscorer' justification into context:

He's not scored for 12 games.

If it hadn't have been for penalties, he'd have seven goals not 10, putting him level with Niasse who has played one third less games - and only three of those for the full 90 minutes. That puts Rooney on a par with those other Everton 'greats', James Beattie and Andy Johnson!

He has missed THREE penalties - as many as he has scored.

The hat-trick he scored at West Ham was about as difficult to achieve as City's 3-1 mauling of us on Saturday (for which he was one of the chief lazy-arsed, ineffective reasons).

However, if you or anyone else think that justifies him being picked every week - as a defensive midfielder - then I rest my case...

I never said he should be picked every week, I dont think he should be picked every week, certainly not as a DM, where he has had some good games for us.

I think hes been a decent signing all in all, I mean thats totally ignoring his weekly wage, of course, but hes scored goals and been an important member of the squad IMO.

Yeah that 3rd one was a piece of piss.

It was a beauty, but for some it has given him a whole season's grace and favour.

In truth though, he's currently holding the team back, denying people like Davies and Beningime playing/development time - in a position which is much more theirs than his.

And when he's not playing a killer pass straight to an opponent's feet or consistently losing the ball because he hasn't got a clue who's close to him, he provides no barrier whatsoever to the defence nor threat in the other half of the field.

Overpaid waste of a place in a team that already has plenty of other candidates for the title. And all because he's Wayne Rooney.

Schneiderlin gets booed every week for that!

It was a beauty, but for some it has given him a whole season's grace and favour.

In truth though, he's currently holding the team back, denying people like Davies and Beningime playing/development time - in a position which is much more theirs than his.

And when he's not playing a killer pass straight to an opponent's feet or consistently losing the ball because he hasn't got a clue who's close to him, he provides no barrier whatsoever to the defence nor threat in the other half of the field.

Overpaid waste of a place in a team that already has plenty of other candidates for the title. And all because he's Wayne Rooney.

Schneiderlin gets booed every week for that!
tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back