Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminds me of when Fowler went back to them, the off flash of brilliance but generally underwhelming as games are too fast for his aging legs.

Bye Wayne

Appears to be being shown up by Morgan Schneiderlin in recent weeks. Earning some seriously easy coin in the past few matches. Though that doesn't take away his impact earlier on in the season, without which we would be screwed.

End of the day, he wasn't brought in to boss games and drag us to trophies he was brought in to change the clubs mentality and give us a boost on and off the field.

Shame we bought a load of terrible players around him, no one else stood up to be counted, and he was a bit of a bell off the field.

He still did what I thought he would for the most part and bagged 10 goals.

Still head and shoulders our best player.
Yeah but the problem is his legs have gone, not his head...which is still writing cheques his legs can't cash
Take the £7.8M hit, if he wont go, well he can sit with Klassens in limbo. He's not gojng to get any better.

I'd rather Lookman, Vlasic, Walsh or somebody who maybe will get better, get game time, learn by doing, even if they make as many mistakes as Rooney is now doing.

Can't fault Rooney's effort and he clearly still has an eye for goal when played more forward but his legs have gone. He gives the ball away so often because his body can't execute what his brain wants consistently anymore.
He'd be an expensive impact sub next season so it's much more in the club's interests to offload him to America if there's an opportunity and he can be persuaded. Hope Beckham want's to hook up with an old pal.

Yeah but the problem is his legs have gone, not his head...which is still writing cheques his legs can't cash.
Earlier in the season I would have wholly agreed, however his performances as the season has progressed is beginning to make me question it.

I expect that he'll be off the pace in high-tempo games and he's arguably slightly jaded, but some of his passes and movement are appalling.

In recent months he's been losing the ball far too easily, in possession or trapping the ball, while his passing is fraught with really sloppy errors.

How many times have we seen Hollywood balls float to nobody or out of play? Most of his passing is now simple, short passes to easy targets.

Nor would I argue that he's wholeheartedly attempting to get a game by the scruff of the neck; he's unfortunately become a regular passenger.

Is he the consummate professional we require or are simply carrying someone because who he was, rather than what he offers now?

Last edited:
Yeah but the problem is his legs have gone, not his head...which is still writing cheques his legs can't cash
Take the £7.8M hit, if he wont go, well he can sit with Klassens in limbo. He's not gojng to get any better.

I'd rather Lookman, Vlasic, Walsh or somebody who maybe will get better, get game time, learn by doing, even if they make as many mistakes as Rooney is now doing.

Sad, but true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back