Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still first choice for me. Cannot play with Schneiderlin though, they occupy the same positions too frequently.

Tosun
Bolasie Sigurdsson Walcott
Rooney Gueye

Rooney playing more advanced the last two games with gueye & Schneidelein behind has meant him being able to get in the box a bit more where he can be at his most dangerous...

Still can do a job for Everton next season & get 10-15 goals...

Rooney playing more advanced the last two games with gueye & Schneidelein behind has meant him being able to get in the box a bit more where he can be at his most dangerous...

Not sure. Around the box he does these crap little dinks thinking he's Pirlo and none ever come off. He should just play it on the floor.

And if he didn't take a gazillion penalties then he'd get nowhere near 10-15 imo

I thought he turned up for pre-season looking fairly trim and in shape and it looked like he'd put the work in starting the season well, scoring a few goals and looked decent. Then since as the season has worn on he doesn't look as fit and as trim now, he looks like he can't last the pace and has failed miserably since moving back into midfield.

Scores 10 goals playing up front before christmas then suddenly it's decided that he hasn't got the legs to play up front anymore but he's got the legs to be in the engine room, that to me baffles the senses. Anyway for me he's just shocking as a midfielder, he looks as though he's had one drink and a smoke too many and hasn't got the conditioning for the amount of games we have had. Sam thinks he's undroppable because of who he is in a past life.

I don't want us to pander to his whims in a position he's never played, If he can't play in his natural position he shouldn't be playing, he's a bigger liability than help since the turn of the year.

Is sigurdsson not injured?

I mean in general. My point is, we need to play with an out and out CF, 2 pacey, tricky wingers who can provide goals and assists, an atttacking midfielder who has legs and can play on the half turn, then a midifled 2 of rooney and Gueye, who compliment each other well.

I mean in general. My point is, we need to play with an out and out CF, 2 pacey, tricky wingers who can provide goals and assists, an atttacking midfielder who has legs and can play on the half turn, then a midifled 2 of rooney and Gueye, who compliment each other well.

You were doin well up to the last part, gueye with an actual top quality midfielder would be what we need

He won’t get 10-15 next season. He only has 10 this season because he scored 2 penalties despite taking about 5. No chance will he take penalties next season. He isn’t going to play ahead of Tosun, when Siggy is fit, he will take the number 10 role again. He doesn’t have the legs for the CM role next to Gueye and if BS is still in charge, we will always have 2 defensive midfielders on anyway so no space for him.

Rooney is a fading force. His football brain is still there. If he is here next season then I hope it's a series of short 15-30 minutes sub appearances where he can use that nous to pinch or maintain a positive result for the team.

I don't think he is the sort of player who can have prolonged periods outside of playing without it having a hugely negative impact on his performance.

A very, very tricky player to manage in my view, but if he is used right and knows what is expected of him then he could be a very important player for us over a couple of seasons. The key is whoever comes in as manager as it is with a lot of what's going on with us at the moment.

As I said last year, he should have been brought back as a last resort when our first team midfielders where not fit ( Barkley, McCarthy, Sigurdsson), injuries and a sale of one of them has forced people’s hands. He should be coaching the under 18’s not behaving like a dog chasing cars.

I STILL think that however bad he's been, I would give him a bit of a chance, because he's the type of player who needs a good manager. He's not a guy who can go without coaching and direction (which is maybe a bad thing for his management ambitions!) but he's definitely 100% passionate about the club, and can do a great job. In his big period of transition and change in his career he needs a proper mentor and after being managed by Fergie for so many years, what a crap crap comedown in his career to have RK and FS as his boss, with potentially Walsh and Lee trying to coach him. Can you imagine how he feels being coached by Sammy Lee?! I would say though he has got loads of personal pride and professional pride to do well, and to make his sons proud etc, and so we should give him a chance with a proper set up and new coach to try again to find his best role and position.

Our squad is a mix and mish mash of different characters, players and styles, and we needed a coach and director of football who recognised that some people need different approaches to management, and we cant just stick them in the team and expect them to work out. I do feel though that Rooney is always giving his best, but he's just a bit confused, directionless and wasting energy in different parts of the play, tactics and pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back