Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still not convinced we can judge him on this season, unless people are putting him in the category of Schneiderlin and Mirallas, and he hasn't really tried hard? If he's really past it, then fine, or if he's really just not trying, then also fine - he has to go. But to be a bit of a dreamer and idealist, it still would be amazing if it worked out for us and him. I was excited when he came, until it was also dragging out the Gylfi and Barkley fiasco, and I was dreaming of a Rooney - Barkley match up or mentoring or something, and really wanted to see Rooney captain us to a Cup or something. I am always positive, however, to be fair:

- The drink driving charge was an incident totally in his own control, and his own responsibility: the very first time he was off off England duty, he betrayed his promise of commitment to Everton.
- This dream move to his boyhood club was a big motivation that excited me - I thought he would automatically raise his game. He has three boys (?) who apparently love Everton, and I thought he would live a dream of making them excited to see their dad in a blue shirt - but he should have worked harder to make that work. Maybe he wants to come back as manager, but that won't happen automatically.
- Yes, his passing, skills etc can be blamed somewhat on tactics and so on - I still think many players should be given a free pass this year without proper management and direction, and not many have really played well. However, I haven't seen him live that often and if people here think he is fundamentally and individually not good, then of course it counts against him.
- His fitness - he has played with Ronaldo, Giggs (and Ibra i think?). They are amazing examples of top players who have kept super fit in their 30s.They have done it with a lot of hard work and sacrifice. He has obviously not learned anything from them. even if his pace has gone naturally, modern footballers embrace a lot of clever programmes to improve - diet, yoga etc - he just doesn't seem that disciplined.

So I have to take off the rose tinted glasses and however much I wanted him to stay, I think he has to prove himself to earn respect and love on his return to everton. He may have thought that he could walk into the team, just tread water and still boss the team and the club, but he didn't realise how hard he has to work to sustain Premier league levels.

Fergie or someone at Man U was obviously an excellent mentor and coach to him, and this was missing in Koeman, Unsy and Allardyce.

He isn't good enough to be starting games regularly.

He won't happily play a part time role.
It was a romantic move that happened 2 years too late. Some great highlight reel moments, a few spectacular goals and the occasional flash of brilliance but there's nothing left in the tank. His inclusion in the team would now come at the expense of better suited or younger players and as soon as that happens, like with England it's time to call it a day or except your role as a bit part player and he won't want that.

Shame he couldn't keep up his early season form...

If he goes I wish him well & the best of luck...

Great to see him back in a blue shirt btw...

Oh God. What did Moyes say this time?

david-moyes-facepalm.gif

So you reckon it really hasn't been tactics and set up - just that individually he's not trying?
I mean he's hardly got himself fit again has he. Got caught drink driving etc. Generally just a bit of a wasteman.

Tactics don't explain why he can't make 2 yard passes either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back