Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wayne Rooney's future at Everton will become clearer once a decision has been taken on who will manage the club at the start of next season.

As was the case a year ago, Rooney has no shortage of offers to move abroad, lucrative deals possible in the United States or elsewhere.

However, the 32-year-old turned down those opportunities when he left Manchester United to fulfil his dream of ending his career at his boyhood team. Those sentiments remain despite the difficulties encountered during his first season back home.

Major League Soccer side DC United are the latest to show interest in Rooney if he feels his opportunities at Goodison Park will become increasingly limited next season.

But he has not reached that conclusion yet, and it will be impossible to do so without discussions with the manager regarding next season’s plans. Such conversations can only begin when the club’s hierarchy confirm the identity of that manager.

Sam Allardyce has expressed his confidence he will be the man, but there has been no public confirmation of this from his board. The briefest statement would end any uncertainty. Instead there has only been silence, adding to the sense Everton are investigating the pros and cons of several alternative candidates.

Naturally, there will be many at Everton making contingency plans preparing for all eventualities. Like all those within the Everton squad, Rooney will be eager to know what direction the club takes over the summer. Currently, the club seems to be in a state of limbo until such time majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri presents his vision for next season and beyond.

Rooney has already publicly expressed his desire is to remain at the club – the fact he signed a two year deal last summer with the option to trigger a third – was proof of this.

Speaking to Jamie Carragher in an exclusive interview with Telegraph Sport last February, Rooney spoke of his desire to move from the pitch into coaching. Those plans are already in place.

“From next season I want to be doing some coaching sessions with the Under 14s at Everton,” Rooney said.

“It would be good to have all my badges by the time I have finished, but it is also about having the chance to carry on when I have so I can get straight into coaching.”

Rooney struck ten goals for Everton last season, and started 16 of 23 games under Allardyce.

Speaking to Talksport earlier this week, Allardyce thought it unlikely Rooney would leave this summer.

“I wouldn't consider anything on the cards at the moment. It would have to be massive for him to want to leave Everton," said Allardyce.

I would guess that Wayne Rooney knows very well who will be in charge next season. I think Bill Kenwright will make sure of that.

The media need stories to survive. Rooney is always a good story.
I think Rooney will see out the next year of his contract as a player in the premiership. He can always then go to America for a year or two and come back to go coaching.
He doesn't need the money and unless his wife is happy to leave as well I can't see it happening. I think he going on his own could put further pressure on his marriage and I doubt he will leave four young children behind.

£12.5 million fee and 150k a week saved in wages. Absolute no brainer to get shot if that article is true.

Add in the sales of the likes of Sandro, Niasse, Klaasan, Bolasie and Besic and we might have a decent pot of money to reinvest in the playing squad.

Wayne Rooney's future at Everton will become clearer once a decision has been taken on who will manage the club at the start of next season.

As was the case a year ago, Rooney has no shortage of offers to move abroad, lucrative deals possible in the United States or elsewhere.

However, the 32-year-old turned down those opportunities when he left Manchester United to fulfil his dream of ending his career at his boyhood team. Those sentiments remain despite the difficulties encountered during his first season back home.

Major League Soccer side DC United are the latest to show interest in Rooney if he feels his opportunities at Goodison Park will become increasingly limited next season.

But he has not reached that conclusion yet, and it will be impossible to do so without discussions with the manager regarding next season’s plans. Such conversations can only begin when the club’s hierarchy confirm the identity of that manager.

Sam Allardyce has expressed his confidence he will be the man, but there has been no public confirmation of this from his board. The briefest statement would end any uncertainty. Instead there has only been silence, adding to the sense Everton are investigating the pros and cons of several alternative candidates.

Naturally, there will be many at Everton making contingency plans preparing for all eventualities. Like all those within the Everton squad, Rooney will be eager to know what direction the club takes over the summer. Currently, the club seems to be in a state of limbo until such time majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri presents his vision for next season and beyond.

Rooney has already publicly expressed his desire is to remain at the club – the fact he signed a two year deal last summer with the option to trigger a third – was proof of this.

Speaking to Jamie Carragher in an exclusive interview with Telegraph Sport last February, Rooney spoke of his desire to move from the pitch into coaching. Those plans are already in place.

“From next season I want to be doing some coaching sessions with the Under 14s at Everton,” Rooney said.

“It would be good to have all my badges by the time I have finished, but it is also about having the chance to carry on when I have so I can get straight into coaching.”

Rooney struck ten goals for Everton last season, and started 16 of 23 games under Allardyce.

Speaking to Talksport earlier this week, Allardyce thought it unlikely Rooney would leave this summer.

“I wouldn't consider anything on the cards at the moment. It would have to be massive for him to want to leave Everton," said Allardyce.

Confirms Allardyce for next season that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back