Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's on Bill then.

Never said Rooney did it to save the club - I think that's clearly bull.

But I hold no malice towards him leaving. He achieved more with United than he ever would have done staying with us, ultimately.
I don't doubt that it's the platitudes in which we offer to these over the hill players, it does my head in.

It was 2004 though... and we were skint. That £25m stopped us going bankrupt.

I'm not saying that's why Rooney didn't stay, of course he left for the money and the glory, but that's exactly what he got. He went on to become a great player for a massive, massive club, and even though I wanted it to be in blue, it wasn't to be. That's life. I'm not nine anymore, I don't care about it.

He came back this season and did well in patches in a struggling side. Scored some important goals and put in some good performances when we needed them. Not great but not all his fault either.

He goes with my blessing.

Thats not true, tell me about how we were close to going bankrupt?

This idea that it suited all parties isnt correct, we didnt elect to sell him in fact the opposite, he handed in a transfer request.

Presently, its quite simple, has he been worth a 180k, no. Its been a bad move for Everton that never should have happened.

Ultimately hes shown zero loyalty to Everton, and taken a huge wage out of the club on his return that is unjustified, his behavior toward the club has always been uncaring and disrespectful.

Simply put he doesn't deserve a role or wage here in the future.

I don't need to hate the player, but it's ridiculous to call him an Everton legend and a nonsense to have any interest in putting any more relevance on him than say James McFadden or Naismith or whoever.

There are actual players out there who do care a lot about their club to the detriment of their career. Totti is a great example.

If a jot was given by Former Manchester United Football Club Legend Wayne Rooney he would have taken a pay cut at some other point in his career and gone back to "his" club. Instead he signed contracts to continue his stay at one of "his" clubs biggest rivals.

He then decided to come back coincidentally when we finally had money and he was no longer wanted at his actual number one club. Whoopdee doo

He is absolutely entitled to do all that of course, but it's ridiculous calling a player who as spent all of his decent years in football at a rival club an Everton legend.

Hopefully he will be gone soon and the conversation can die a death finally and he will go on to be just a wee tiny story in our history,

I don't need to hate the player, but it's ridiculous to call him an Everton legend and a nonsense to have any interest in putting any more relevance on him than say James McFadden or Naismith or whoever.

There are actual players out there who do care a lot about their club to the detriment of their career. Totti is a great example.

If a jot was given by Former Manchester United Football Club Legend Wayne Rooney he would have taken a pay cut at some other point in his career and gone back to "his" club. Instead he signed contracts to continue his stay at one of "his" clubs biggest rivals.

He then decided to come back coincidentally when we finally had money and he was no longer wanted at his actual number one club. Whoopdee doo

He is absolutely entitled to do all that of course, but it's ridiculous calling a player who as spent all of his decent years in football at a rival club an Everton legend.

Hopefully he will be gone soon and the conversation can die a death finally and he will go on to be just a wee tiny story in our history,

Bang on. It's actually, given the persistence of (presumably) his supporters and media types perpetuating this line, more accurate to call him an Everton Myth.

@Bryan

Everton Great - Exploded onto the biggest platform with a World Class goal against Arsenal, played with his heart on his sleeve every game, represented England at 17 then became England's top scorer and went on to become one of the world's biggest footballer which is testament to Everton's academy and the club on a World Scale.

Came back and sold a project which lets face it has grinded to a halt with people saying he is past it and worked his arse off to become our top goalscorer in a season filled more lows then highs.

Rooney is an Everton Great, if he was 17 now with the board backing we have he would become a great but his departure was best for all.

All the badge kissing etc is fine because if you can't take it then, don't give it out. He was a boyhood blue and we acted pure Kopite but it was out of his hands just like previous players like Ferguson, the board was woeful and the team couldn't survive so sold to keep us afloat.

Once a blue, always a blue - all the best Wayne

Hahaha sure. An everton great. Are you wumming?

He handed a transfer request 4 days before the window shut so we couldn’t get anyone in for his own gain, not the clubs. Regardless of that one goal you mention against arsenal, what has he done to deserve being called an Everton great? I don’t care if he played for England or not, it’s testament to our academy, doesn’t make him a club great, makes our academy great. He is a united great, not an Everton great. He could have stayed for another season when we were in desperate need of him as we had nearly been relegated but was only concerned with himself, which is fine, but don’t then use that to make out like he was saving the club from ruin, he wasn’t. We rejected offers, if we needed to sell him to stay afloat, it would have been done earlier and without him handing in a request which would lower the value.

He has scored 28 goals for us. Nothing special. lukaku did that in one season for us.

Hibberts more an Everton great than a rooney. (I love Tony so may be biased).

Hahaha sure. An everton great. Are you wumming?

He handed a transfer request 4 days before the window shut so we couldn’t get anyone in for his own gain, not the clubs. Regardless of that one goal you mention against arsenal, what has he done to deserve being called an Everton great? I don’t care if he played for England or not, it’s testament to our academy, doesn’t make him a club great, makes our academy great. He is a united great, not an Everton great. He could have stayed for another season when we were in desperate need of him as we had nearly been relegated but was only concerned with himself, which is fine, but don’t then use that to make out like he was saving the club from ruin, he wasn’t. We rejected offers, if we needed to sell him to stay afloat, it would have been done earlier and without him handing in a request which would lower the value.

He has scored 28 goals for us. Nothing special. lukaku did that in one season for us.

Hibberts more an Everton great than a rooney. (I love Tony so may be biased).

His goal against Leeds breaking a hoodoo against them that went back years was fairly nice.

His goal against Leeds breaking a hoodoo against them that went back years was fairly nice.

But still doesn’t make him an Everton great. He’s scored a Few decent, or important goals, but James Vaughan scored to become our youngest ever scorer, is he an Everton great?

We got £25m - a record fee for a teenager at the time

Stop the grudge. It's weird.

Its not weird.

A grudge is a grudge. Its supposed to stay forever, it's not something that can be turned on and off depending on the situation.

Footballing grudges (and it needs to be purely footballing, nothing personal, I don't hate Wayne Rooney the person) are an essential part of football and they need to be pushed harder and not just be forgotten about.

I don't want to be part of a game where I can't sing "Oh I Do Like To Be Beside the Seaside" about Steve McMahon 20 off years after he has retired just because its fun for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back