Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you will probably find that 60k is average for squad players in teams that want to play in the top half of the premiership.

I do agree that we cannot afford to keep him at 150k per week. I think it is a pity that he is leaving because I think our young players could learn so much from him. He is still a huge name in football and did help raise our profile last season but the cost is too great.
I think that Rooney may be leaving as much because he realises that he is a declining force at the highest level as any other reason.
He seems very knowledgeable and shrewd about football and would know very well what he was capable of in the coming season.

I don't disagree with any of that...however, as has been said numerous times over the last 10 years...Rooney will return to Everton when he is a spent force/not good enough at Utd...this obviously happened and in my opinion if he wasn't good enough for United a year ago then he certainly shouldn't be playing for Everton two years later

All good things come to an end, including careers.

I'm glad he did the fairytale return, would rather he hadn't left in the first place, but honestly, if he wanted to play here a few more years, he could have run down his man u contract and walked back. His priority was cash and glory rather than Everton.

Remember that by that age of 22 he was set up for life, never having to work again if he so chose. The rest of the people plod on at the grindstone.

I don't disagree with any of that...however, as has been said numerous times over the last 10 years...Rooney will return to Everton when he is a spent force/not good enough at Utd...this obviously happened and in my opinion if he wasn't good enough for United a year ago then he certainly shouldn't be playing for Everton two years later
It is something I find it hard to make my mind up about. There is no doubt that he was well in decline when he arrived, but did have some good moments and got a good number of goals.
However, Utd had his best days as a player and he stayed there for at least too seasons too long.
His return made better newspaper headlines than anything.

He threatened to quit for MLS unless Everton's manager next season basically bowed down to him. Allardyce and Silva have both called his bluff and he doesn't like it. Rooney thought he'd got his way again when Allardyce left.

He's used to getting what he wants. He handed in transfer requests at United more than once and got a new contract out of it, so he thought bullying Everton would be a doddle. He got his big move in 2004. He expected Everton to beg him to stay again. I still don't think he wants to leave his north west bubble but his ego can't handle sitting on the bench. It leaves him annoyed and in a quandry.

He threatened to quit for MLS unless Everton's manager next season basically bowed down to him. Allardyce and Silva have both called his bluff and he doesn't like it. Rooney thought he'd got his way again when Allardyce left.

He's used to getting what he wants. He handed in transfer requests at United more than once and got a new contract out of it. He got his big move in 2004. He expected Everton to beg him to stay. I still don't think he wants to leave his north west bubble but his ego can't handle sitting on the bench.
I would agree to a point, but I still think his agent Stretford plays a massive part in what Rooney does next.
I read an article recently where it said that Rooney has never taken a pay cut, even when he was obviously not as good as he was, Stretford always got him a pay rise, he didn't lose any money coming to Everton as Man U paid half of his salary.
His agent will be in his ear saying one more pay day.
I personally won't lose any sleep when he goes, if he loved Everton so much he should have been back when he had something decent to offer.

I would agree to a point, but I still think his agent Stretford plays a massive part in what Rooney does next.
I read an article recently where it said that Rooney has never taken a pay cut, even when he was obviously not as good as he was, Stretford always got him a pay rise, he didn't lose any money coming to Everton as Man U paid half of his salary.
His agent will be in his ear saying one more pay day.
I personally won't lose any sleep when he goes, if he loved Everton so much he should have been back when he had something decent to offer.

I think Stretford/Rooney leaked the DC contract offer expecting or at least hoping for Everton to match it. Rooney's always put money first with the exception of not wanting to go to China last year. At the end of next season he might end up having to take a big pay cut so it'd be a financial risk to stay.

How much DC appeals to him i'm not sure. It's not exactly LA or New York.

I love all this bollocks from people claiming Rooney would be back to his imperious best if we put better, pacey, attacking players around him!

Er, like those at Manchester United where he was similarly out of his depth for the last two or three years for example?

Please desist with such ridiculous nonsense. He was clearly finished when we were stupid enough to sign him and is now souring his reputation further by hoping Kenwright will beg him to stay.

You’ve been well and truly sussed Rooney. Now shut up, hurry up and naff off.

I start abusing drugs when Rooney left in 2004. Ended up in an ambulance when he kissed that badge on Balls day. I don't know what will happen to me this summer. Over to you Wayne.

All good things come to an end, including careers.

I'm glad he did the fairytale return, would rather he hadn't left in the first place, but honestly, if he wanted to play here a few more years, he could have run down his man u contract and walked back. His priority was cash and glory rather than Everton.

Remember that by that age of 22 he was set up for life, never having to work again if he so chose. The rest of the people plod on at the grindstone.

Yeah, but in the world you don’t give up league medals and playing in cup finals for less money and a battle for 6th place.

He was too good too early and fell out of love with the game, hence the abnormally early decline. I’m really annoyed that he came back when he did. Not only was the timing bad because of the signings we made, he had declined into a fraction of the player he used to be. This is also why you exercise caution when signing older players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back