Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with most of that but isn't Milner the same age ? He also began his career early and the difference in fitness is monumental. Rooneys lifestyle has also taken its toll, smoker isn't he as well I think.

Milner started at 16 you're right but Rooney was ready before he was even allowed to play. Apparently when smith was here he went to see Colin Harvey while he was watching an U19 game , while there a player scored from the half way line and smith said he wanted him in his squad, colon replied you can't, he's only 14. Physically Rooney was fully developed long before he started being eligible to play and could have made his debut at 15 when he was on the bench for us against Southampton I believe

I think the reason for his early decline is largely down to his early rise tbh. Done people develop before others and physically Rooney was prem ready at 15-16 yrs old. He was bald in his early 20's and he's probably got the legs of a 38 yr old now. His lifestyle choices havnt helped but I have always said that Rooney will be finished before most players simply due to how quickly he developed when younger
Milner started at a similar age, and has played the same way since his debut.
Cristiano Ronaldo is actually older then Rooney and look at the difference between the two.

Some sportsmen dedicate themselves to the sport like Bernard Hopkins and then you have people like Ricky Hatton.

The heavy drinking and smoking just have to be factors . It’s no longer the 80’s where players can have a skinful and play and train without consequence, small margins are huge now and Rooney is paying the price for his lifestyle. The ability got him through as a youngster but now he just hasn’t got the legs and it’s not just last season .

Of corse they aren't good for prolonging his career, but he was a freak in every aspect , from his natural ability, to his physical development, hence why he was tearing up the euros at 17 years of age

Of corse they aren't good for prolonging his career, but he was a freak in every aspect , from his natural ability, to his physical development, hence why he was tearing up the euros at 17 years of age

He was a superbly talented player and he won everything but I can’t help but think despite all that he could have been better . Not saying he could have necessarily won more but I think from where he was at that age he could have progressed further than he did .

You do anything for money?
Wholeheartedly?
Like man the gates of a gas chamber, or play for the rs?

If I was a professional footballer and Liverpool offered me £200k p/wk, as opposed to 100k p/wk elsewhere, I'd take it.

But, in this hypothetical scenario, I'd be treating my career and my profession as just that - a profession. I wouldn't be the fan I am.

If it was a choice between Everton and Liverpool, obviously, I'd play for Everton. But if, hypothetically, Everton weren't interested and Liverpool put an offer on the table that would a) further my career and b) provide a huge financial gain, I'd take it.

Isn't it different if you're putting your body on the line though? I get what you mean and they are paid ludicrously to do what they do, but speaking for myself I wouldn't choose, I wouldn't play wholeheartedly if it weren't for my team, so I just wouldn't go.
I guess, once you have enough to live on, not everybody is motivated by money. No amount of money brings satisfaction, its what you do for it, or how you use it that brings that potential.

I guess my point is that they are pro's and its a job for most.

He was a superbly talented player and he won everything but I can’t help but think despite all that he could have been better . Not saying he could have necessarily won more but I think from where he was at that age he could have progressed further than he did .

I agree he could have maybe been better, I think he had some of his natural "gift" coached out of him tbh. Bit like Barkley , both had something you can't coach and some of it was lost when they were turned into more rounded players. Also think Rooney suffered a bit from having the perfect attitude in regarding being a team player. Ronaldo wants it all to be about him and Rooney accepted it for the good of the team and played different positions Etc . If he was more like Ronaldo and more arogant etc he may have been more or a superstar.

If I was a professional footballer and Liverpool offered me £200k p/wk, as opposed to 100k p/wk elsewhere, I'd take it.

But, in this hypothetical scenario, I'd be treating my career and my profession as just that - a profession. I wouldn't be the fan I am.

If it was a choice between Everton and Liverpool, obviously, I'd play for Everton. But if, hypothetically, Everton weren't interested and Liverpool put an offer on the table that would a) further my career and b) provide a huge financial gain, I'd take it.

I think if I were on 1k a week at Everton I wouldn't take any other job.

I wouldn't play for Liverpool for £5bn a week. Tainted money. Couldn't live with myself.

Also, on Wayne..

If taking a wage similar to most of the other players, say 80k a week isn't enough for him to want to play for Everton, then he's pathetic.

This isn't ordinary employment. Football is not the real world. They already have more money than they could ever possibly want never mind need. So the fact Rooney always demanded that bit more was a huge blot on his character, in what was an otherwise stellar career IMO.

Easy to say, not so much to do.

Not really. Most of us on here have the life experience of having to live off well under half that much. Me taking £1k a week would improve my life far much more by more than doubling my income, than any footballer on 80k demanding 160k. They don't need that money. They already have far more than they could possibly dream of. It's sheer greed.

I wouldn't play for Liverpool for £5bn a week. Tainted money. Couldn't live with myself.

Also, on Wayne..

If taking a wage similar to most of the other players, say 80k a week isn't enough for him to want to play for Everton, then he's pathetic.

This isn't ordinary employment. Football is not the real world. They already have more money than they could ever possibly want never mind need. So the fact Rooney always demanded that bit more was a huge blot on his character, in what was an otherwise stellar career IMO.

All these players gladly accepted stratospheric wages because ‘I’m worth it, that’s what the market thinks I’m worth’, so they should not be moaning when the market swings against them and suddenly they’re worth less wages.

Not really. Most of us on here have the life experience of having to live off well under half that much. Me taking £1k a week would improve my life far much more by more than doubling my income, than any footballer on 80k demanding 160k. They don't need that money. They already have far more than they could possibly dream of. It's sheer greed.
Leaving aside the fact that there are plenty of people on here who would be taking a significant salary cut to take £52k a year, you're forgetting that it's still a job.

You're looking at it through rose tinted glasses, where you're living your dream and everything's wonderful. What if you didn't like your manager though? What if you didn't like your team mates? What if every day was a struggle because you just couldn't face going in to work, and you knew that you could go and make a fresh start somewhere else and have your wages increased 100 times over? That's what people forget time and again. These people are human, they have feelings and get bored and annoyed and offended just like you do. The fact they earn more doesn't change that, you can be rich and unhappy believe it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back