Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not grounded in reality for some. But it is grounded in reality for others. Loyalty does still exist in places and not every footballer is motivated solely by milking even more money when they already have millions.

I don't think Wayne deserves his 150k + a week. His performances since christmas were extremely poor. I think it's bad for team spirit that he earns so much more than everyone else. And I think that if he was so desperate to stay here then he would accept a pay decrease to bring him in line with the rest of the team.
As I said, i'm not talking about Rooney specifically, I was just commenting on the likelihood of someone accepting £1k a week to play for Everton for life. As you suggest that some players really would do this, I'd love you to give me some examples.

Some odd takes on America in here.

I actually don't understand what DC United is thinking. His name doesn't have THAT much cache in the states, it goes against most of the current MLS trends, his legs are not holding up in a DC or East coast summer, and I'm not sure where he's play on that DC team to begin with.

Not really. Most of us on here have the life experience of having to live off well under half that much. Me taking £1k a week would improve my life far much more by more than doubling my income, than any footballer on 80k demanding 160k. They don't need that money. They already have far more than they could possibly dream of. It's sheer greed.
Exactly my point.
Footballers and surprisingly fans so quickly lose sight of reality when monopoly figures are bandied about.

Leaving aside the fact that there are plenty of people on here who would be taking a significant salary cut to take £52k a year, you're forgetting that it's still a job.

You're looking at it through rose tinted glasses, where you're living your dream and everything's wonderful. What if you didn't like your manager though? What if you didn't like your team mates? What if every day was a struggle because you just couldn't face going in to work, and you knew that you could go and make a fresh start somewhere else and have your wages increased 100 times over? That's what people forget time and again. These people are human, they have feelings and get bored and annoyed and offended just like you do. The fact they earn more doesn't change that, you can be rich and unhappy believe it or not.

I worked and studied and accumulated more degrees than a thermometer to work as a teacher. After 30 years of this experience, and being head of the largest department in the school my salary was nowhere near 1k a week. In fact almost half that. During those times, in various places, I worked in schools I didn't like, with kids I sometimes didn't like, with parents who were just dolally, with staff and bosses I sometimes detested.
So to be paid 1k for doing fun, a sport, a hobby, a pastime would have been ruddy heavenly.

I worked and studied and accumulated more degrees than a thermometer to work as a teacher. After 30 years of this experience, and being head of the largest department in the school my salary was nowhere near 1k a week. In fact almost half that. During those times, in various places, I worked in schools I didn't like, with kids I sometimes didn't like, with parents who were just dolally, with staff and bosses I sometimes detested.
So to be paid 1k for doing fun, a sport, a hobby, a pastime would have been ruddy heavenly.
All fine points in their own right, but you've missed the crux of the argument.

It's not a hobby when it's your job. You're talking about it as if playing professional football with all the stresses, sacrifices, pressures, abuse and intrusions into your private life that come with it is the same as playing with your mates at the park. It's not.

For some people, driving is a hobby. Ask a taxi driver or bus driver if they'd do it for free. For some people cooking is a hobby. Ask a chef to give up their salary. Even you as a teacher, it seems like it was your dream in a way (not your childhood dream obviously, but something you were willing to work very hard to achieve so seemingly felt strongly about) and yet you changed jobs, didn't like it some times etc. It's natural, and it doesn't change just because your wage is higher.

All fine points in their own right, but you've missed the crux of the argument.

It's not a hobby when it's your job. You're talking about it as if playing professional football with all the stresses, sacrifices, pressures, abuse and intrusions into your private life that come with it is the same as playing with your mates at the park. It's not.

For some people, driving is a hobby. Ask a taxi driver or bus driver if they'd do it for free. For some people cooking is a hobby. Ask a chef to give up their salary. Even you as a teacher, it seems like it was your dream in a way (not your childhood dream obviously, but something you were willing to work very hard to achieve so seemingly felt strongly about) and yet you changed jobs, didn't like it some times etc. It's natural, and it doesn't change just because your wage is higher.
Call me an idealist if you like, but if I were as good as Messi and (God forbid) Swindon Town were my local team which I supported, I genuinely wouldn't move elsewhere for extra cash. They'd be my team, and I'd do everything I could to win trophies with them. I think as soon as you have the likes of lukaku who just want the cash and glory, no matter who its with, then those victories are hollow and worthless.

I know they're professionals, but to be paid what they are for what is a hobby, not something that is essential for society to function, they should be grateful if it were 1k a week.

Call me an idealist if you like, but if I were as good as Messi and (God forbid) Swindon Town were my local team which I supported, I genuinely wouldn't move elsewhere for extra cash. They'd be my team, and I'd do everything I could to win trophies with them. I think as soon as you have the likes of lukaku who just want the cash and glory, no matter who its with, then those victories are hollow and worthless.

I know they're professionals, but to be paid what they are for what is a hobby, not something that is essential for society to function, they should be grateful if it were 1k a week.
And if you were genuinely happy doing that then I would respect you massively. My point was that you'd probably find you weren't as happy as your idealistic picture tells you you'd be, because as I said earlier, football would now have stopped being a hobby and would have become a job. And jobs are stressful, no matter how much you enjoy the principle of them. A very good mate of mine set up a brewery a few years ago because he loved brewing beer, it was his hobby - until it became his job. Suddenly it wasn't a lot of fun anymore, and people were offering him an awful lot of money to sell his business and stop brewing. He did it, because the dream and reality are two totally different things, and because human nature makes money a very attractive proposition.

Rooney left us in the first place because there was stuff happening in his private life, and outside sources were telling him he'd be better off elsewhere, and if you believe some people, even the club were actively trying to move him on. He was probably frustrated that he wasn't always picked, frustrated that his team mates weren't as good as him, frustrated that other people who weren't as good as him got paid more. If you think you could sidestep all that and just blissfully carry on then good for you. I don't know you so I can't tell you you're wrong, but you'd be a better person than 99.9% of the population.

And if you were genuinely happy doing that then I would respect you massively. My point was that you'd probably find you weren't as happy as your idealistic picture tells you you'd be, because as I said earlier, football would now have stopped being a hobby and would have become a job. And jobs are stressful, no matter how much you enjoy the principle of them. A very good mate of mine set up a brewery a few years ago because he loved brewing beer, it was his hobby - until it became his job. Suddenly it wasn't a lot of fun anymore, and people were offering him an awful lot of money to sell his business and stop brewing. He did it, because the dream and reality are two totally different things, and because human nature makes money a very attractive proposition.

Rooney left us in the first place because there was stuff happening in his private life, and outside sources were telling him he'd be better off elsewhere, and if you believe some people, even the club were actively trying to move him on. He was probably frustrated that he wasn't always picked, frustrated that his team mates weren't as good as him, frustrated that other people who weren't as good as him got paid more. If you think you could sidestep all that and just blissfully carry on then good for you. I don't know you so I can't tell you you're wrong, but you'd be a better person than 99.9% of the population.
Im 52 and would still do it. Just waiting for the club to give me a ring and call my bluff! lol

Not sure about that. I've had immeasurable pleasure of playing football and never won a thing. What's more, I would not enjoy, for a second, playing and winning in the fa cup final for a team I did not support or didn't like such as the rs.
Obviously, Id prefer to win things, but if it meant giving up on my dream of playing for Everton then the answer is no. If you're a fan then win with your club, not another, such victory is hollow. At least that's how it is in my head.

Yeah, Messi should have stayed at river plate, and Ronaldo should have played for his local side on Madeira. Get a grip.
Unfortunately, he was 16 and better than everyone else in our squad. Everton has to keep up with him quickly. We never. He looked the best player at the next euros. Was never going to stay and play week in week out with Steve Watson, and mark pemble

Yeah, Messi should have stayed at river plate, and Ronaldo should have played for his local side on Madeira. Get a grip.
Unfortunately, he was 16 and better than everyone else in our squad. Everton has to keep up with him quickly. We never. He looked the best player at the next euros. Was never going to stay and play week in week out with Steve Watson, and mark pemble
I assure you I am fully gripped.

If he'd stayed, that team that was worse than him finished 4th the following season. Perhaps with him we'd have, and he'd have won something.

As I said, i'm not talking about Rooney specifically, I was just commenting on the likelihood of someone accepting £1k a week to play for Everton for life. As you suggest that some players really would do this, I'd love you to give me some examples.

I would, not sure I would be able to get up and down the wing much with my zimmer frame though.

If he'd stayed, that team that was worse than him finished 4th the following season. Perhaps with him we'd have, and he'd have won something.

Not his fault we have won squat. And no promises we would have if he stayed.

The hottest property in European football got a massive fee for us, got the banks off our back, and won everything in club football.

Sadly, its called Life.

It’s not Roy of the Rovers.
We sold him, we bought lescott, jags, Cahill, arteta etc. We moved in a different direction.
I apologise if you are still a minor, and haven’t had your dose of the real world yet. Im sure England’s top goal scorer, champions league and uefa trophy, and multiple premier league winner does not regret leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back