Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was not thrilled about it at the time, and glad to be rid. I really hope we're not still paying more than token amount of his wages... but I fear the worst.

Good move for him - if anyone anywhere is somehow still dull and credulous enough to get excited about what remains of the Rooney "brand", it's the people of DC

For the first 6 months of the season, I couldn't fault his workrate and passion which we lack from most of our squad. He very clearly loves Everton.

Once Unsworth and Fat Sam took charge, he went off the boil and he seemed as fed up as we did about the whole season.

He gets a kicking but you can't blame him for the money he gets or the career he made for himself.

To say he is a money grabbing so and so or more Manc then Blue is stupid, he loves Everton as much as you.

Rooney is a Everton Great not the legend we all hoped he would be for us which is why he'll never be a legend.

I was never angry when he went because it was best for him and at the time the club.

Best of luck in MLS and I hope he can come back in some role to inspire or train future Evertonians.

WHAT

@Bryan

Everton Great - Exploded onto the biggest platform with a World Class goal against Arsenal, played with his heart on his sleeve every game, represented England at 17 then became England's top scorer and went on to become one of the world's biggest footballer which is testament to Everton's academy and the club on a World Scale.

Came back and sold a project which lets face it has grinded to a halt with people saying he is past it and worked his arse off to become our top goalscorer in a season filled more lows then highs.

Rooney is an Everton Great, if he was 17 now with the board backing we have he would become a great but his departure was best for all.

All the badge kissing etc is fine because if you can't take it then, don't give it out. He was a boyhood blue and we acted pure Kopite but it was out of his hands just like previous players like Ferguson, the board was woeful and the team couldn't survive so sold to keep us afloat.

Once a blue, always a blue - all the best Wayne

He still gets the £300k he was on at united as they pay half. And the deal with Dc is that they are paying a proportion of his wages, so we are still paying part of it. I just don’t get the love in for him at all.

His agent should be handling Brexit negotiations... how he has manager to keep in on 300k a week with three clubs paying his wages takes some doing.

For the first 6 months of the season, I couldn't fault his workrate and passion which we lack from most of our squad. He very clearly loves Everton.

Once Unsworth and Fat Sam took charge, he went off the boil and he seemed as fed up as we did about the whole season.

He gets a kicking but you can't blame him for the money he gets or the career he made for himself.

To say he is a money grabbing so and so or more Manc then Blue is stupid, he loves Everton as much as you.

Rooney is a Everton Great not the legend we all hoped he would be for us which is why he'll never be a legend.

I was never angry when he went because it was best for him and at the time the club.

Best of luck in MLS and I hope he can come back in some role to inspire or train future Evertonians.

Have to disagree with you here mate, whatever about leaving, it was the way he left he shafted Everton. He handed in a transfer request two weeks before the window shut. To put that in context we literally had nothing to spend and didnt have the opportunity to spend the money we got for him. We stayed up the season before on the lowest ponts total ever for a team to stay up, he deserted what he saw as a sinking ship and did it without enabling Everton to have a fighting chance to bring replacements in. We could have been relegated for all here cared.

Returning to the present, i dont think he should ever have been brought back, he did contribute in the first 6 months, i wont fault him there, but his contribution was no where near worth a reported 180k a week, its a poor, poor outcome for Everton.

Now we offer him a coaching role, he doesn't deserve it in my honest opinion, id rather give it to Jags, Hibbert or Baines players who have shown loyalty to Everton when the sharks have circled in the past.

He is a massive Evertonian when it suites him to be, but his behavior over the years has evidenced that his loyalty is totally toward himself.

Last edited:
Have to disagree with you here mate, whatever about leaving, it was the way he left he shafted Everton. He handed in a transfer request two weeks befog the window shut. To put that in context we literally had nothing to spend and didnt have the opportunity to spend the money we got for him. We stayed up the season before on the lowest ponts total ever for a team to stay up, he deserted what he saw as a sinking ship and did it without enabling Everton to have a fighting chance to bring replacements in. We could have been relegated for all here cared.

Returning to the present, i dont think he should ever have been brought back, he did contribute in the first 6 months, i wont fault him there, but his contribution was no where near worth a reported 180k a week, its a poor, poor outcome for Everton.

Now we offer him a coaching role, he doesn't deserve it in my honest opinion, id rather give it to Jags, Hibbert or Baines players who have shown loyalty to Everton when the sharks have circled in the past.

He is a massive Everton when it suite him to be but his behavior over the years is evidenced that his loyalty is totally toward himself.

We got £25m - a record fee for a teenager at the time

Stop the grudge. It's weird.

He came back a couple of years too late. His football brain is still as sharp as ever but his legs are now a second or two behind. I have no malice towards him but it’s time for him to move on to the retirement home that is US soccerball.

@Bryan

Everton Great - Exploded onto the biggest platform with a World Class goal against Arsenal, played with his heart on his sleeve every game, represented England at 17 then became England's top scorer and went on to become one of the world's biggest footballer which is testament to Everton's academy and the club on a World Scale.

Came back and sold a project which lets face it has grinded to a halt with people saying he is past it and worked his arse off to become our top goalscorer in a season filled more lows then highs.

Rooney is an Everton Great, if he was 17 now with the board backing we have he would become a great but his departure was best for all.

All the badge kissing etc is fine because if you can't take it then, don't give it out. He was a boyhood blue and we acted pure Kopite but it was out of his hands just like previous players like Ferguson, the board was woeful and the team couldn't survive so sold to keep us afloat.

Once a blue, always a blue - all the best Wayne
A RAT controlled by another RAT that jumped ship at the first chance, and came back with UTD didn't want him, I acknowledge he played well for the time he was here, and look forward to seeing him in America, should never ever have come back to Everton, a blinding endictment of Bills inability to see past the awful ' one of us ' in modern footy, particularly with us.

We need to bin off these rodents, and bloodsuckers ASAP, starting with Colleens bitch.

It was pennies for the best teenager in the world who has just lit up an international tournament and we were done up like a kipper by him and his agent.

Accepting the true blue media narrative is passive and weird in my opinion, he has taken more out of Everton then he will ever put into it and has shown no loyalty to this club at all, but hey give him a job for life.

It was pennies for the best teenager in the world who has just lit up an international tournament and we were done up like a kipper by him and his agent.

Accepting the true blue media narrative is passive and weird in my opinion, he has taken more out of Everton then he will ever put into it and has shown no loyalty to this club at all, but hey give him a job for life.

It was 2004 though... and we were skint. That £25m stopped us going bankrupt.

I'm not saying that's why Rooney didn't stay, of course he left for the money and the glory, but that's exactly what he got. He went on to become a great player for a massive, massive club, and even though I wanted it to be in blue, it wasn't to be. That's life. I'm not nine anymore, I don't care about it.

He came back this season and did well in patches in a struggling side. Scored some important goals and put in some good performances when we needed them. Not great but not all his fault either.

He goes with my blessing.

When Bill laughed and accepted 50% less than he publicly said he was worth, ho ho ho.

Toffees chairman Bill Kenwright said: "David Moyes and I agreed Wayne has to be a £50m player now.

Never mind, these ineptitudes will darken our door no longer soon. ;)

When Bill laughed and accepted 50% less than he publicly said he was worth, ho ho ho.

Never mind, these ineptitudes will darken our door no longer soon. ;)

That's on Bill then.

Never said Rooney did it to save the club - I think that's clearly bull.

But I hold no malice towards him leaving. He achieved more with United than he ever would have done staying with us, ultimately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back