We're doing alright. What's the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the point is, you're only looking at the results. You've only mentioned games we lost, when I think part of what Mikey is saying is that we defended poorly in some games but got away with it. Swansea at home springs to mind, and I remember us being run ragged for the last 20 minutes at home to Norwich.
Swansea at home? The match where we had a lead for most of the match and played on the counter? Yeah, we gave up a cheap goal in injury time to turn a 3-1 win into a 3-2 win, and we conceded a whole bunch of wild shots from long range while we were sitting deep, but I'd hardly call that defending poorly. Against Norwich it was even more of the same -- they were down two goals and took a lot of shots from long range, most of which were off target.

We're doing okay, nothing spectacular in terms of form yet though.

We need to be looking at picking up 9 points from the next 4 games to truly kick on.

Swansea at home? The match where we had a lead for most of the match and played on the counter? Yeah, we gave up a cheap goal in injury time to turn a 3-1 win into a 3-2 win, and we conceded a whole bunch of wild shots from long range while we were sitting deep, but I'd hardly call that defending poorly. Against Norwich it was even more of the same -- they were down two goals and took a lot of shots from long range, most of which were off target.
I think we recall the Swansea game slightly differently. My recollection was that we took the lead after about an hour and Howard had to make a couple of really good saves before their consolation goal. Agree on the Norwich one, we were 2-0 up but then handed them the initiative with some truly horrendous defending in the last 15-20 minutes. The point is, just because you get away with it, it doesn't make your defending any better. You mentioned the arsenal cup game, and you're right that we ended up conceding on the counter late on, but we could easily have been 3 down after 20 minutes in all honesty.

I think we recall the Swansea game slightly differently. My recollection was that we took the lead after about an hour and Howard had to make a couple of really good saves before their consolation goal. Agree on the Norwich one, we were 2-0 up but then handed them the initiative with some truly horrendous defending in the last 15-20 minutes. The point is, just because you get away with it, it doesn't make your defending any better. You mentioned the arsenal cup game, and you're right that we ended up conceding on the counter late on, but we could easily have been 3 down after 20 minutes in all honesty.
Letting the other side take 25 to 30 yard shots while you sit back and protect a lead isn't getting away with it, though, it's executing a plan.

A Number 10 type?
Just a player who can make things happen, who can replace barkley when he isnt doing it. Deulofeu does it quite well but he isnt someond who for me can do it behind the striker / make the whole team play better, but thankfully his final balls looked good.

Just someone similar to payet who has that bit of magic in midfield / in and around lukaku

Just a player who can make things happen, who can replace barkley when he isnt doing it. Deulofeu does it quite well but he isnt someond who for me can do it behind the striker / make the whole team play better, but thankfully his final balls looked good.

Just someone similar to payet who has that bit of magic in midfield / in and around lukaku

I think Del makes us play better. His threat isn't central, but it's there. Ross is doing well too. The last thing we need is some 15 million pound yahoo coming in and killing Barkley's confidence. Ross needs to play, I wouldn't have anybody else in that position for the moment.

I think Del makes us play better. His threat isn't central, but it's there. Ross is doing well too. The last thing we need is some 15 million pound yahoo coming in and killing Barkley's confidence. Ross needs to play, I wouldn't have anybody else in that position for the moment.
Barkley does need to play, but in some games he plays extremely poorly, and fails to do even the basics.

Osman isn't up to it anymore, no where near and i think it's a position that we should strengthen in, maybe not with payet himself, but a cheaper option will always be out there somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back