Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

What the hell is going on with some Blues?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the modern day football fan, some think they know better than everyone at the club about running a football club and being a football manager or coach at the same time as well as being a supporter and when things aren't being done exactly how they'd like it to be done they post persistently about how they'd sort it out and where it's going wrong. They're geniuses and they want everyone to know it... or maybe they're just sharing their opinion on an internet forum and as we've won nothing for 20 odd years they're just not as excited or optimistic as some other supporters.

If the government banned the PlayStation, the X BOX and FIFA 17 all would change to a glowing positivity.
I miss the days when discussions like this took place face to face in the pub or the workplace canteen

Pretty much echoes my own thoughts. But a lot of the season will come down to two things:

1/ who we get in before now and the end of the window
2/ how the team is set up - who goes where and whether they blend

I think we will get a big FW in to give us a plan B...what quality, though, I'm not sure of if all that cash is being wasted on Sigurdsson's signature; but I have little faith in him sorting a functioning team, and more especially finding an attack force that can replace Lukaku and Barkley's attacking prowess.

Yes, there's been lots of churn and that takes time to settle. But this has been his choice to sell so many players, so the buck stops with the manager. Lukaku was encouraged to go by him; Barkley was frozen out; he got shut of Deulofeu and he's sought to bring in a lot of bodies.
I stopped racing when you said Barkley was an attacking force

Nope. We need to spend out on a 20+ goal scorer and that means saving our cash from the Sigurdsson pisstake. Use that cash plus what we get for Barkley to bring in a top striker, a LB who can actually beat opponents and get effective crosses in, and a CB who can carry the ball out to go alongside Keane.

That'd be our best bet.
And what 20+ striker can we realistically hope to sign

Well... For better or worse...no one can say this isn't now a Koeman team. I like it personally... Yes it kind of lacks pace but when was Ross or Lukaku fast ?? Sandro is speedy, Davey K has speed of thought and we now have a clever space finder in Rooney... Think we will be fine.... If it gels in time.

Not one fan I've spoke too who doesn't support Everton agrees we should have sold rom

All have said if we had any ambition we'd have kept him. He had two years left

But we accepted the first bid didn't even push them to get more! And got rid. Bottled it and lost our top player. He will be missed you'll see by May.

But what's worse is we didn't even have a replacement lined up. Even two weeks after he's gone. Madness
And you know all this
Surprised you are wasting your time on here
All we do know is that Rom wanted to go and stated this numerous times.
As to the fee and negotiations pure sniper on the hill stuff

Not one fan I've spoke too who doesn't support Everton agrees we should have sold rom

All have said if we had any ambition we'd have kept him. He had two years left

But we accepted the first bid didn't even push them to get more! And got rid. Bottled it and lost our top player. He will be missed you'll see by May.

But what's worse is we didn't even have a replacement lined up. Even two weeks after he's gone. Madness
I tend to agree with this. I think we could have kept him for another season & the big difference this year is that it's the World Cup.

I tend to agree with this. I think we could have kept him for another season & the big difference this year is that it's the World Cup.
Right, on paper.

In reality - he'd sulk forever, moan to the media at every opportunity, tell us how he's not happy here and can't wait to move to a big club (and bigger money) and basically belittle us, much like he's done for about 2 years. We couldn't win the situation from the get-go, so instead we milked whoever came in - first Chelsea, then United and eventually he went to United. Shame it's another PL rival, but even more realistically - if he was this superstar he claims he is, how come the only two teams interested were his ex team and one that's known about him for about 5 years? Where's the Real's, Bayern's and all that, the actual big teams that never came knocking?

Agreed about the replacement though, we have to get a good striker in before the PL season starts.

Team after January transfer window last season:

Robles/Stek - Pickford - Upgrade
Coleman - Martina - Downgrade
Williams - Williams
Jagielka - Keane - Upgrade
Baines - Baines
Schneiderlin - Schneiderlin
Gana - Gana
Klaassen - Davies - Upgrade on paper although Davies added a lot to the team

So overall slightly strengthened but right back and Williams/Jags/Baines decline being a big concern that hasn't been addressed. Lack of pace at centre back a concern too. Will probably be better at back to the walls defending than playing out from the back.

Gana/Schneiderlin is a solid base that should stop too many runners going through at our defence.

Klaassen looks good, lots of nice quick one touch passing but he isn't a world class playmaker. Davies offers energy and again quick passing.

Leads onto the biggest area of concern - the front 3.

We simply don't have any players who would get in to the line ups of any of the 6 teams above us. We've lost a 20 goal a season striker and our main source of creativity. Sandro promising but unproven, Rooney will have his moments but is more of a second striker.

For me we need to replace Barkley's ability to beat a player and create chances and Lukaku's goal threat, strength and pace. None of the players we are strongly linked with fulfill these requirements.

A Sigurdsson on the left, Giroud in the middle and Bolasie on the right front 3 at a cost of £100m+ would be probably the worst value for money (age/ability) around.

Look at the team

Pickford.. looks good lets see
Martina.. complete liability, poor signing
Williams and Jags past it, need replacing, haven't been
Baines.. no chance he can play 38 prem games, and domestic and European cup.. still no back up signed! even though we've known for months we needed one

Central midfield looks ok..

no width. Lookman and Calvert Lewin both way off and need more time. Lennon and Miralles not good enough. Bolasie injured

attacking mid. Klassen.. lets see. Rooney, past it, and will offer us virtually nothing I believe. Sandro lets see

Lack of pace in the side, lack of height, lack of width, no presence up front. Poor back up players if any of the first team get injured, not enough depth.. the list goes on.

An ageing team that continues to age as players haven't been replaced and the likes of Rooney have joined

Yet some say this is the most exciting time ever? are you sure

It's understandable in my eyes. The trigger has been Barkley - people are trying to sugarcoat it, but we're losing one of the best young players of his generation because he doesn't want to stay. That doesn't inspire confidence in the 'project' as a whole.

Sure, it could be that Barkley is just an idiot, but we also lost Lukaku (whether that's a good thing or not is subjective) for the same reason.

Whereas we are replacing both with either an inferior player in Sigurdsson or a past his prime player in Rooney.

That said, I'm not in the doom and gloom crowd myself, but it depends on what happens between now and the end of August. Another decent centre half and a classy proven striker like Giroud and consider me content.

Look at the team

Pickford.. looks good lets see
Martina.. complete liability, poor signing
Williams and Jags past it, need replacing, haven't been
Baines.. no chance he can play 38 prem games, and domestic and European cup.. still no back up signed! even though we've known for months we needed one

Central midfield looks ok..

no width. Lookman and Calvert Lewin both way off and need more time. Lennon and Miralles not good enough. Bolasie injured

attacking mid. Klassen.. lets see. Rooney, past it, and will offer us virtually nothing I believe. Sandro lets see

Lack of pace in the side, lack of height, lack of width, no presence up front. Poor back up players if any of the first team get injured, not enough depth.. the list goes on.

An ageing team that continues to age as players haven't been replaced and the likes of Rooney have joined

Yet some say this is the most exciting time ever? are you sure

You can say all this and logically maybe it is correct but also it could just as easily be wrong. Personally I like to actually see what happens before writing stuff off otherwise life is so miserable and boring, woe is me seems to be the norm and life is so much fun being like that. Live a little, look forward and enjoy if things don't work out it's never the end of the world but at least wait for the [Poor language removed] to hit the fan rather than do it before it evens happens.

It's understandable in my eyes. The trigger has been Barkley - people are trying to sugarcoat it, but we're losing one of the best young players of his generation because he doesn't want to stay. That doesn't
inspire confidence in the 'project' as a whole.

Sure, it could be that Barkley is just an idiot, but we also lost Lukaku (whether that's a good thing or not is subjective) for the same reason.

Whereas we are replacing both with either an inferior player in Sigurdsson or a past his prime player in Rooney.

That said, I'm not in the doom and gloom crowd myself, but it depends on what happens between now and the end of August. Another decent centre half and a classy proven striker like Giroud and consider me content.

Best young players of his generation
Are you sure about that
Really sure
Maybe you want to think about that and post again
He banter get in a poor english team
By your reckoning Livermore is the next Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back