What the Hell is happening to Everton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope he turns it around and has us playing like last season, and if he won the Europa League he would be a hero, I'm just lacking faith in his ability to deliver these things.

He's a barbarian in football terms

Nah. Selective memory there Dave. Had his (many) faults, but we played some good stuff at times. And he signed cloggers like Baines, Coleman, Kev, Piennar, Stones and Billy didnt he?

*cue list of yard dogs from Dave*

I am with you about 95% in this discussion, but Moyes could get teams playing football. But at times his natural caution got the upper hand.

But anyrate, watching this with interest.

Martinez took over a side that was finishing 5th/6th and he managed to replicate that feat during a 12 month long honeymoon period. He has subsequently totally mismanaged our squad, and we have been set back years a result. That honeymoon period has gone, and the likes of Lukaku and Mirallas have now seen enough to want out, they don't want to wait around and see if Roberto Martinez can undo his horrendous mismanagement over the last nine months, they just want out.

Everton are capable of getting a manager better than Martinez. Martinez is not the best that Everton can manage. Loads of managers would be interested in taking over his job, loads of them. But if you are pushing for specific names, then I would say Steve Maclaren, Mark Hughes, even Moyes.

Don't be such a drama queen.

Moyes had us finish 7th, then we finished 17th. Set us back years that. Oh wait, we finished 4th the season after.

A win or two on the spin and people will be buzzing again. Theres zero confidence in any of the side, from the players and the fans.

You can see it how they're playing, terrified to beat a man or give it away. Thursday would be a good start to turn this around.

Moyes 4th place finish with a squad that was favourites for relegation is an achievement that far surpasses that of Everton's 5th place finish last year.

Moyes gave us our pride back, Martinez is undoing all his good work with a style of football that is more boring and negative than ANYTHING put forward by Moyes.

But if you'd been in charge that wouldn't have happened as you'd have sacked him following our 17th place finish the season before.

Don't be such a drama queen.

Moyes had us finish 7th, then we finished 17th. Set us back years that. Oh wait, we finished 4th the season after.

Yeah, that's what Moyes did, back then, with those players. I'm all for Martinez replicating the achievement but I'd probably place it in the unlikely category at the moment.

So, are we where we are because
(i) we have a terrible manager and a poor team, or
(ii) the team is not performing to the standards it is capable of?

I ask because you seem to want it both ways. Firstly you don't respect the team because we are in a false position, and then secondly you say it's not a matter of form.

The two statements are not consistent mate.

(ii), although it's difficult to tell how much of this is the manager's influence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back