What was your favourite moment with Martinez at the helm?

What was your favourite moment with Martinez at the helm?

• Transfer Deadline Day 2013

• 1-0 Chelsea

• ManUtd 0-1

• 3-0 Arsenal

• 2-0 ManUtd

• Signing Lukaku permanently (+ Barkley contract)

• 4-1 Wolfsburg

• Liverpool 1-1

• Wolfsburg 0-2

• "Money can't buy everything"

• 3-1 Chelsea

• 2-0 Chelsea

• Something else

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Abstract analysis but I see were you are coming from. Martinez failed because he was going to take us down had he been allowed to remain. He refused to adapt his formation no matter the opposition. Add to that that he failed to adequately prep his team to play that formation, set pieces and fitness in general being my exhibit A and B.

Martinez had to go because his relationship with the players was broken. He could have been Alex Ferguson and Pep Guardiola rolled into one. But when a team down tools it doesn't matter. Significant numbers of those players (and significant senior individuals amongst them) did not wish to play his football anymore. They didn't have the mental courage to stand up to criticism from the terraces over results and the easier option for them was to just collapse and end it all.

It's not that they weren't good enough to play good winning football, they proved they were. But when it called for character and bottle to come through a crises they didn't have it. Martinez WAS responsible for that, btw, I dont spare him in that analysis, because he surrounded himself with mentally weak players and failed to root out those lacking character.

Martinez had to go because his relationship with the players was broken. He could have been Alex Ferguson and Pep Guardiola rolled into one. But when a team down tools it doesn't matter. Significant numbers of those players (and significant senior individuals amongst them) did not wish to play his football anymore. They didn't have the mental courage to stand up to criticism from the terraces over results and the easier option for them was to just collapse and end it all.

It's not that they weren't good enough to play good winning football, they proved they were. But when it called for character and bottle to come through a crises they didn't have it. Martinez WAS responsible for that, btw, I dont spare him in that analysis, because he surrounded himself with mentally weak players and failed to root out those lacking character.
He went because he's not a good football manager, with a proven inability to get a team to defend. Nothing more nothing less, if the players did drop off then it's because they realised it too, whether we like that or not it all boils down to Martinez being nowhere near PL standard.
Awaits a mention of 72pts
Simple as that. If he were good enough, why would they down tools? If training seemed on point, why would they down tools? If the players believed they could hold onto leads, why would they down tools? If they trusted his ability to strengthen the squad, why would they down tools? You can't have it both ways.

He went because he's not a good football manager, with a proven inability to get a team to defend. Nothing more nothing less, if the players did drop off then it's because they realised it too, whether we like that or not it all boils down to Martinez being nowhere near PL standard.
Awaits a mention of 72pts
Simple as that. If he were good enough, why would they down tools? If training seemed on point, why would they down tools? If the players believed they could hold onto leads, why would they down tools? If they trusted his ability to strengthen the squad, why would they down tools? You can't have it both ways.
Lol.

Our record PL points gatherer and he's 'not PL standard'.

You couldn't make that assessment up...and yes, I saw your white text.

Lol.

Our record PL points gatherer and he's 'not PL standard'.

You couldn't make that assessment up...and yes, I saw your white text.
hes not, why did no teams from the top 2 tiers take him? The teams he's managed in the PL have gotten worse than what he took over. You're wrong. I'm not arsed though, off to the match now to support the lads, you keep on bitchin about everything non-Martinez, enjoy your night.

hes not, why did no teams from the top 2 tiers take him? The teams he's managed in the PL have gotten worse than what he took over. You're wrong. I'm not arsed though, off to the match now to support the lads, you keep on bitchin about everything non-Martinez, enjoy your night.
He had to settle for Belgium, I suppose. Ahh well.

How could they have come through a crisis that started because every manager had seen through Roberto's never changing formation or tactics? I don't excuse any player for downing tools, and it did happen, but it's too easy to put it into the weak character category. That was a factor granted but not the full picture.

I know you were one of his staunchest fans Dave but you've hit the nail firmly on the head there. I always thought it was down to bottle. Like you say, he didn't have the staff but I also believe he was lacking in the bottle department as well.

Wolfsburg.
We had a torrid start to the season and I wasn't overly confident going into the match.

We gave a counter attacking masterclass in the first half and a defensive one for the second. Took a moment of brilliance from Rodriguez to even get on the score sheet. Thought that was our turnaround moment... :(

Arsenal 1-1 away in his first season. A proper football match, don't think I've seen a better technical game in the premiership since. Full of hope after that I was skeptical of Martinez before but felt we were on the right path after this game. Should have learned to thrust my gut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back