What was your favourite moment with Martinez at the helm?

What was your favourite moment with Martinez at the helm?

• Transfer Deadline Day 2013

• 1-0 Chelsea

• ManUtd 0-1

• 3-0 Arsenal

• 2-0 ManUtd

• Signing Lukaku permanently (+ Barkley contract)

• 4-1 Wolfsburg

• Liverpool 1-1

• Wolfsburg 0-2

• "Money can't buy everything"

• 3-1 Chelsea

• 2-0 Chelsea

• Something else

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The day we knew Lukaku was signing permanently, waiting about 3 hours for the press conference to start.

I even made my mum wait for the press conference... I still get the criticism she has never waited that long for a man in her life before.

That Arsenal 3-0 with Coleman "keepy upping" the ball bringing it forward, was the best I've seen us play for years. We were great that day. Still don't know where it all went wrong.

Moyes defensive discipline went and half our game never recovered.

Got to be when we absolutely destroyed arsenal 3-0 at goodison. Played the best ice ever seen that day and lukaku tore them apart

Colemans keepy uppy through the whole Arsenal midfield. That was confidence....how was it allowed to evaporate?

oops! Didn't see the above post...but great minds, etc !!....

Voted for the 3-1 over Chelsea. The defiance in the ground that day was spectacular. I now realize that we should never have slipped into having/needing that attitude in the first place.

No offence mate but this post is illogical. I say that the statistics were misleading and you contest that by posting the statistics? Did you actually watch the game? My brother didn't, he saw the stats after the game and said something along the lines of the three examples you've quoted. The reality is that Everton were utterly superior until they went 3-0 up after 50 minutes and took the foot off the gas. Then Wolfsburg have about 20 shots in 20 minutes and none of them (if memory serves) were clear cut, we go 4-0 on the counter and they score a freekick in injury time. If it isn't too much to ask, just trust me on this one.

It was a great score - but I'd say that the statistics revealed more about the team. And Howard was my man of the match. From the Telegraph;

63 min A poor cross from Rodriguez isn't properly cleared by Stones and Arnold shoots from range. It's blocked behind for a corner by McCarthy. The ball pings out again and again Arnold shoots, but it's blocked. It's all Wolfsburg now. Except they're losing heavily.

56 min Actually I may be doing Howard an injustice there, that's a great save. He's called into action again now as Barry passes straight to Rodrguez. The left-back passes it low into the area and the ball breaks to Hunt, Howard coming out to smother it before the German international can get a shot away.

55 min Rodriguez curls it left-footed over the wall and Howard makes a good, if showy save, diving to his right and parrying it one-handed.

54 min Naismith goes into the book for a clumsy lunge at Luiz Gustavo. Free kick 20 yards out, just to the right...

53 min Now the visitors pass it around down the left. It's worked inside and a nice pass into the channel from the impressive De Bruyne finds Caliguri, whose low shot from inside the area is saved by Howard's legs. It falls to Luiz Gustavo who takes a touch and shoots low from eight yards but Howards gets down well to save. Good work from the goalie.

51 min A corner to Wolfsburg as Howard palms away Olic's snapshot. In it comes and it's played out to De Bruyne, who monsters a shot from 20 yards into the side of Jagielka's head. Oof. It comes back out and Arnold drills low and wide from just outside the area.

50 min Nice work from Wolfsburg here as Caliguri picks it up on the inside left of the area and finds Rodriguez with a backheel to the byline. Howard gets down well to cut it out.

The 3-0 defeat of Arsenal was certainly a highlight of his management, and last season I enjoyed the 3-1 win at Burnley too.

More recently, Roberto has suffered some poor results which - in my opinion - equally did not reflect the way the team had played.

However, there is no doubt that Roberto had exhausted his options for the future. A new regime will be in place for the start of next season.

Last edited:
The 1st half of the Arsenal game in his 1st season was nothing short of footballing dominance, that 1st half was how the system could have worked with fearlessness, confidence, defensively strong, creativity and desire the problem was we never saw a performance even close to that 1st half after it.

Breaking the points record can't be under appreciated either, yes the defensive system was built from the Moyes side and we had our spells during the season that we dropped off but that points total was very good and had that happened this season it would have got us 2nd so to only get 5th was complete madness.

To best honest I would actually go with the West Ham 3-2 game, the best performance I witnessed under Martinez was probably the United game in 2014.

hard choices, united away and signing lukaku was boss but the money cant buy you everything shout made me happy, boss that showed we wouldnt be bullied by the russian billionaires... didnt turn out so great like because stones was getting managed awfully towards the end of bobbys reign

The 1st half of the Arsenal game in his 1st season was nothing short of footballing dominance, that 1st half was how the system could have worked with fearlessness, confidence, defensively strong, creativity and desire the problem was we never saw a performance even close to that 1st half after it.

Breaking the points record can't be under appreciated either, yes the defensive system was built from the Moyes side and we had our spells during the season that we dropped off but that points total was very good and had that happened this season it would have got us 2nd so to only get 5th was complete madness.

Yes, the the back four came from the Moyes side. But Roberto added Barry and McCarthy and allowed Baines and - in particular - Coleman to take the ball forward.

So the defensive system was created by Roberto and - for one wonderful season - it worked well.

When this went in...the moment was fleeting but hard to quantify in terms of emotion.

SOCCER-Everton-144744_766.jpg

Have to go for the 3-1 against Chelsea which is the first Everton game I've had a chance to witness live. Well worth the trip up from Oz and will be a lifetime highlight.

Gotta also give a special mention for when Rom scored that blinder against arsenal and made a beeline to manhug Martinez. That was the first time I genuinely believed he could sign for us permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back