Which goal was better

Which goal?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
He was obviously trying to score.

I think what people mean is that it's very debatable whether he meant to put it in that corner, or just aimed it towards goal. Either way it's still impressive.
Did rooney mean to put it in that position of the goal? I think maybe he tried to hit the bar for it to then go into goal.

Not saying it is easy and I have already stressed the point imho it was more skillful than Sigurdsson's effort how he took it on first time. However as people have pointed out, usually a Charlie Adam type player would take a touch then balloon it into the air as if you were going for the crossbar challenge, this would make it easy to miss any players inbetween. (whether it's on target or not is a different question) Rooney's effort could have easily just hit the ref and that would have been that.

Go to the park and try and do some lobbing practice from the halfway line if the ball bounces on and around the penalty spot you would have easily cleared the defenders and see how many times you can but the ball between the sticks. That's all Wayne had to do, no one was guarding the net is what my point is. The style he did it to keep the trajectory low and hit the ball as it is moving with pace was off charts though.

If Rooney takes a touch and floats that onto the penalty spot, no doubt Ogbonna and/or Hart get to it. That isn't all he had to do by any means.

I think what people mean is that it's very debatable whether he meant to put it in that corner, or just aimed it towards goal. Either way it's still impressive.
pretty much this. He hoofed it and hoped for the best... imo

I don't quite get it then. Surely Rooney was just aiming at the goal too?

The technique to hit it first time close to the floor from Rooney was better, but at the end of the day all he had to do was lift it over 2 players into an empty net. Had there been a goalkeeper there no goal. Whereas there could have been two keepers for split and it still might have gone in.

If there had been a goalkeeper in his goal, he wouldn't have taken the shot. Insane argument. It was all about opportunism timing, audacity, speed of thought, skill and flawless technique.

He had a split second to react to the surroundings and intentionally hit it where and how he did BECAUSE there was no keeper. He was celebrating before it went in, because it was deliberate. And to be clear, these situations occur in matches up and down the country on a regular basis... Keeper comes rushing out, clears it, lands to a player in the opposition half... And 999 times out of 1000, the player it falls to will take a touch before he shoots, if he shoots at all. Most people would control it and lay off to a winger to start a counter.

Simple logic tells you its easier to hit a ball further when it's bouncing in step with you and you can get under it, than it is to hit a ball bouncing towards you, and from further away as well.

And further to the argument, Sigurdsson's goal, the keeper was on the edge of the box when it fell to him, and it didn't go in the top corner like some are saying either. It dropped just over the line if I remember correctly.

He hit it firmly with great technique but it was still an empty net. On target is a goal. Siggy had a keeper in goal.

A penalty is harder to score than a shot from 6 miles away then? People keep saying an empty net as if it was a tap in. Getting it on target was difficult enough, the skill was to hit it in a way that Ogbonna especially wouldn't get to it.

Did rooney mean to put it in that position of the goal? I think maybe he tried to hit the bar for it to then go into goal.

So he had a massive space infront of him and tried to hit a tiny crossbar, I can't be having that.

Year of playing 'spot' in the streets of Croxteth honed that one touch hitting a target.

I wasn't suggesting a hail mary, just more elevation curing it round, bottom line is goals have been scored like that before with the keeper far closer to the goal. If it goes into the net half way up or more they would struggle to get back in time. In fact the time between both methods before hitting the back of the net would be a couple of seconds at most.

Status
Not open for further replies.