Which goal was better

Which goal?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are goals you see several times a season. You rarely ever see goals like Rooney's or Sig's.

Sig's i could agree with you probably but not rooneys, you see 3 or 4 of these goals a season, goalkeeper never in there goal usually an open shot just a matter of directing a ball into an empty net.

I would much rather see someone smash one into the top corner, a flowing passing move or a postage stamp type hit (preferibly hitting the bar), these require skill and practice then a golf shot from the halfway line.

Its like giroud and mikitariyans goals last season, everyone going mad about them, but in reality its improvisation at most, hopeful efforts directed in desperation as they cant do what they origianally set out to do.

V different but can't split them - the technique is more 'obvious' with Rooney's whereas Gylfi's was a 1 in a 1000 to catch that right on the stretch. But like the man said above, Gylfi's showed huge vision, just completely out of the blue whereas I think most players would try their luck in Rooney's spot with Hart markedly out of position. Any other Everton player and the ball goes into the main stand, like, so it was still sublime technique.

Yeah sorry mate I forgot about all those 50 yard volleys we see all the time from professional footballers I'm sorry I don't know what came over me sorry.

Not taking away from the skill of Sigurdsson's goal in the slightest, just saying that Rooney's 60 yard half volley was harder to do, hence why you see even fewer of them.

Rooney hit it straight and true and given the circumstances it was even more sensational.

I'm only sorry it didn't take out the ref on the way.

Little off topic sorry but Bryan Robson in the 70s for WHU scored a cracker v Burnley...keeper took a goal kick slogging back thru mud he looked up as ball whizzed past him,,Robson had hit it on the volley from half way line.

Don't think it was a fluke but it was a classic hit and hope type effort that several players could score including the likes of Charlie Adam. Pretty sure Rooney scored for United against West Ham with one that bounced up for him and he just lashed it as hard as he could. Great goal but can be done by many players with strength in their legs and if they connect right.

Rooney's on the other hand could only have been executed in the way he did and by few players in World Football.

Then you could say that every goal ever scored is hit and hope. They hit the ball trying to score, and they hope it goes in. Just like Rooney's goal.

In terms of pure technique, Rooney's is astonishing.

Gylfi's is obviously an amazing goal too but the ball is bouncing towards ball so you already have the momentum on the ball to take the shot on and you can only really hit it one way. It's amazing because of its' accuracy rather than technique, because most of us could take on the same shot and welly it in roughly the same direction.

Whereas Rooneys? I think you could give most people a lifetime to try and hit the ball like that and they'd fail, even in a non-match setting.

Gylfi's is obviously an amazing goal too but the ball is bouncing towards ball so you already have the momentum on the ball to take the shot on and you can only really hit it one way. It's amazing because of its' accuracy rather than technique, because most of us could take on the same shot and welly it in roughly the same direction.

Whereas Rooneys? I think you could give most people a lifetime to try and hit the ball like that and they'd fail, even in a non-match setting.
Think you had to be at G P on Wednesday night, and seeing it live to really appreciate
how good a goal it was.

Then you could say that every goal ever scored is hit and hope. They hit the ball trying to score, and they hope it goes in. Just like Rooney's goal.

Both were incredibly difficult to score, no one should be disputing that, but as the post above says, you could give most people a lifetime attempting to score Rooney's and they wouldn't be able to get it in with the same precision and technique as he did, without taking a touch.

It was like a 1 in a 1000 attempts type goal. Sigurdsson's was more like a 1 in 100.

The thing with Rooney's is that it came natural to him as well. He's not just got the technique to be able to pull that off, it's the composure, the ability to know exactly how to hit it within 1-2 seconds of seeing what was needed and the ability to deal with the ball coming at him awkwardly at pace. Rooney was able to execute that with such perfection with little thought and I genuinely believe that only a few in World Football possess that type of ability.

There was no precision or World Class ability needed for Sigurdsson's goal. A semi-pro footballer with talent could get that in as a one off in their career. None could have scored Rooney's in my opinion.

Both were incredibly difficult to score, no one should be disputing that, but as the post above says, you could give most people a lifetime attempting to score Rooney's and they wouldn't be able to get it in with the same precision and technique as he did, without taking a touch.

It was like a 1 in a 1000 attempts type goal. Sigurdsson's was more like a 1 in 100.

The thing with Rooney's is that it came natural to him as well. He's not just got the technique to be able to pull that off, it's the composure, the ability to know exactly how to hit it within 1-2 seconds of seeing what was needed and the ability to deal with the ball coming at him awkwardly at pace. Rooney was able to execute that with such perfection with little thought and I genuinely believe that only a few in World Football possess that type of ability.

There was no precision or World Class ability needed for Sigurdsson's goal. A semi-pro footballer with talent could get that in as a one off in their career. None could have scored Rooney's in my opinion.

Theee was no goalkeeper in goal. It was an empty net!

This sums it up nicely for me.

Not saying it is easy and I have already stressed the point imho it was more skillful than Sigurdsson's effort how he took it on first time. However as people have pointed out, usually a Charlie Adam type player would take a touch then balloon it into the air as if you were going for the crossbar challenge, this would make it easy to miss any players inbetween. (whether it's on target or not is a different question) Rooney's effort could have easily just hit the ref and that would have been that.

Go to the park and try and do some lobbing practice from the halfway line if the ball bounces on and around the penalty spot you would have easily cleared the defenders and see how many times you can but the ball between the sticks. That's all Wayne had to do, no one was guarding the net is what my point is. The style he did it to keep the trajectory low and hit the ball as it is moving with pace was off charts though.

Status
Not open for further replies.