Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Who is Guardiola leaving Bayern to manage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if martinez continues to build and create a legacy with us long term then surely this is more of a measure of being a quality manager than Pep taking over at Barca or bayern with existing world class players.

I couldnt see Martinez taking a job unless he has full control and can feel comfortable building someting...which is why he turned down liverpool.

Of the jobs in England i think the biggest one is Man Utd for prestige and the biggest challenge is chelsea after mourinho.

Man city just smacks of a payday for pep.

That's the plan mate. As Roberto stated in his last press conference before Christmas: chopping and changing at the top is part of the English football culture now, but it's no basis for creating a quality team. Quite correct. Never has been and never will be.

I think if martinez continues to build and create a legacy with us long term then surely this is more of a measure of being a quality manager than Pep taking over at Barca or bayern with existing world class players.

I couldnt see Martinez taking a job unless he has full control and can feel comfortable building someting...which is why he turned down liverpool.

Of the jobs in England i think the biggest one is Man Utd for prestige and the biggest challenge is chelsea after mourinho.

Man city just smacks of a payday for pep.
He had four years at Barcelona where they were all but invincible. It's hard to determine whether at this stage it was down to having an extremely good clutch of players all playing their best ever football together at exactly the same time or whether Guardiola brought something extra special to the method that Cruyff started at that club and others like Van Gaal tweaked. His record at Bayern is checkered. If he wins a CL with them this season it might suggest City are onto a manager who can implant a method and get similar results. I doubt he can though. It'll be a pay out from the PL mugs to set him up for his retirement.

He had four years at Barcelona where they were all but invincible. It's hard to determine whether at this stage it was down to having an extremely good clutch of players all playing their best ever football together at exactly the same time or whether Guardiola brought something extra special to the method that Cruyff started at that club and others like Van Gaal tweaked. His record at Bayern is checkered. If he wins a CL with them this season it might suggest City are onto a manager who can implant a method and get similar results. I doubt he can though. It'll be a pay out from the PL mugs to set him up for his retirement.
Guardiola tweaked Cruyff's style to make his own, as he was the coach of the academy for a few years and made great strides with them, hence getting offered the first team job. It wasn't exactly as if they picked his name out of a hat, like.

I think it is a combination of his ability, that of the players he brought in / improved, the removal of the worst eggs in the squad (Ronaldinho / Deco, and Eto'o as well a bit) and his prior status at the club that meant he was basically untouchable. He did also benefit from a few bad Real Madrid teams.

Guardiola tweaked Cruyff's style to make his own, as he was the coach of the academy for a few years and made great strides with them, hence getting offered the first team job. It wasn't exactly as if they picked his name out of a hat, like.

TBH that doesn't give him anywhere near enough credit; the Cruyff style (or at least as expressed by his team when he was manager) was a bit
pedestrian compared to the Guardiola style, especially the 2010/11 version of it which was probably the best football most of us will ever see.

TBH that doesn't give him anywhere near enough credit; the Cruyff style (or at least as expressed by his team when he was manager) was a bit
pedestrian compared to the Guardiola style, especially the 2010/11 version of it which was probably the best football most of us will ever see.
I'm tired of explaining this point in every thread about Guardiola at this point to be honest mate. Written too much about it already in too many threads...

Or at least 2 that I can remember.

I think it is a combination of his ability, that of the players he brought in / improved, the removal of the worst eggs in the squad (Ronaldinho / Deco, and Eto'o as well a bit) and his prior status at the club that meant he was basically untouchable. He did also benefit from a few bad Real Madrid teams.
As soon as his nemesis Mourinho wandered in there - while Barcelona were in their pomp, btw - Guardiola's limitations were shown up. Basically he couldn't get his head around the type of blitz that came at Barcelona from teams with the personnel to be disciplined in their defence and break out like the hounds of hell when they did get hold of the ball off them.

That's a matter of opinion. It was never any spectacle at all watching a team strangle the life out of a game retaining the ball.

As soon as his nemesis Mourinho wandered in there - while Barcelona were in their pomp, btw - Guardiola's limitations were shown up. Basically he couldn't get his head around the type of blitz that came at Barcelona from teams with the personnel to be disciplined in their defence and break out like the hounds of hell when they did get hold of the ball off them.
Mourinho's teams did extremely bad against Barcelona, in fact his first El Clasico finishied in a 5:0 loss. He's only won against them twice, drawn 4 times and lost 4.

His Inter team didn't do well as well - 4 games, 2 lost, 1 drawn, 1 won obviously.

Where are you getting this from?

Mourinho's teams did extremely bad against Barcelona, in fact his first El Clasico finishied in a 5:0 loss. He's only won against them twice, drawn 4 times and lost 4.

His Inter team didn't do well as well - 4 games, 2 lost, 1 drawn, 1 won obviously.

Where are you getting this from?
...yes, but look at the era we're talking about: Barcelona were almost invincible. Of course they'd have a very good record against all other teams, including Inter and Madrid. However, they were worked out and denied a Spanish title and Cup and a CL crown...by one man with the right players to work with.

There's absolutely no question Mourinho got under Guardiola's skin and seen off his challenge. And what's he done since? Two Bundesliga titles with someone else's team at Bayern.

Guardiola kept Barca at such a high level that deserves respect on its own . Most teams fall apart after a champions league win. His side never .

Keeping the Barca support satisfied is a job on its own. Playing down his achievements is idiotic tbh. It's not football manager . Having the bottle to bin the likes of eto'o Ronaldinho and deco and coming out of it smelling of roses is quite impressive for somebody with no top level managerial experience.

Guardiola kept Barca at such a high level that deserves respect on its own . Most teams fall apart after a champions league win. His side never .

Keeping the Barca support satisfied is a job on its own. Playing down his achievements is idiotic tbh. It's not football manager . Having the bottle to bin the likes of eto'o Ronaldinho and deco and coming out of it smelling of roses is quite impressive for somebody with no top level managerial experience.
All true in terms of achievement. The issue though is whether it's transferable.

Jury out on that, I think.

Agree with everything except the bit in bold. Personally think his first 2 seasons were the best. They were more 'vertical' as the Spanish say.
At the same time, it has to be remembered that with every revolution there's a counter revolution. or to use another metaphor, an irresistible force will sooner or later run into an immovable object as managers 'sussed out' ways to play against Barça. In that sense, the season you mentioned possibly deserves more merit as he/they found a way to counter the counter measures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back