Why do you keep supporting Everton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried last season, around this time of the year, to sort of break ties and stop following football. I sort of felt like with Rafael in charge and the way the players were, I just couldn't take it anymore, particularly on social media, it was all just toxic, so I unfollowed the club and any current or former players.

That lasted about 6 weeks and then Frank came in and it felt like something changed. I still dont follow any of the social media accounts, but I got sucked right back in to going to games and being on the forums and following news stories.

If we go down it wont make me stop supporting the club and I am actually more expecting it this season and in a way, ready for it. One thing you can be sure of , is if we are relegated there will be a clearout of players, it still might not get better, but at least some of these wage thieves will be gone.

The main problems are in the board room, I guess we could hope that Moshiri will cut his losses and sell to someone else ( I dont think he will till the stadium is finished as its a massive asset) and Mr Kenwright will be off as well, but it depends on who comes in as well.

i am a mascochistic glutton for punishment

not by choice mind you, supporting this club has forced me to become it

I tried last season, around this time of the year, to sort of break ties and stop following football. I sort of felt like with Rafael in charge and the way the players were, I just couldn't take it anymore, particularly on social media, it was all just toxic, so I unfollowed the club and any current or former players.

That lasted about 6 weeks and then Frank came in and it felt like something changed. I still dont follow any of the social media accounts, but I got sucked right back in to going to games and being on the forums and following news stories.

If we go down it wont make me stop supporting the club and I am actually more expecting it this season and in a way, ready for it. One thing you can be sure of , is if we are relegated there will be a clearout of players, it still might not get better, but at least some of these wage thieves will be gone.

The main problems are in the board room, I guess we could hope that Moshiri will cut his losses and sell to someone else ( I dont think he will till the stadium is finished as its a massive asset) and Mr Kenwright will be off as well, but it depends on who comes in as well.

yeah i unfollowed all football accounts and journalists around that time on Twitter. still the same, it's quite liberating

Basically boils down to habit, doesn’t it? I started when I was a kid, just supporting the team my auld fella supported, and now I’m 40 I just don’t know how to do anything else in relation to football.

As far as the level of “support” goes, I barely watch the team these days on TV, let alone go to the match. I try to shrug off the (many) bad results even if that means I don’t get to enjoy the decent ones as much as I once might. I love watching football, so I’ll watch any other game I can, but I could never follow another team.

For me, defeats don't bother me a great deal in terms of it festering, i get over it in no time and look forward to the next game (in hope that something might change). It affects me in terms of the fact that I'll likely avoid watching sports news or MOTD etc.. Whereas, there's loads of people (especially on here) who seem to relish defeats and probably spent x5 as long on here when we lose (with their infant school outlook, e.g. "ha ha, i said he was crap...i said we'd lose 3-0...I said he's worse than Kroldrup... I'm nine years old").

So it's still worth it to see the wins- however few and far between they are.

I stick with it more for the social aspect these days, to get out of the house and go for a few pints with the lads, we have all been going in the same group for years so its hard to just knock that on the head. I go the away games with a different group of people and again we have great days out despite the rubbish on the pitch so I wouldn't want to swerve that and lose contact with them either.

I hate football in general now with its overpaid players picking up life changing salary cheques without a care in the world. I'm also slowly getting more and more disgusted with the various new owners coming into the game. Likewise weasel fans having a go at other fans.

Everton is all I know. The game itself gives me little or no joy given how terrible we've been since Kenwright/Moshiri.

If the club was sold out to an ower like the Saudis or someone with other dodgy links I'd bin it off. The link tonour history is all we have. I appreciate having Usmanov in the background makes this stance a little weak...

I stick with it more for the social aspect these days, to get out of the house and go for a few pints with the lads, we have all been going in the same group for years so its hard to just knock that on the head. I go the away games with a different group of people and again we have great days out despite the rubbish on the pitch so I wouldn't want to swerve that and lose contact with them either.

I'm the same but it's surprising how many of the old group still turn up to meet us in a pub home or away without going to the game. Aways rarer to be fair but London games often get the old group together

I’ve not enjoyed watching Everton now since probably the first 3-4 months of Silva.

Before then probably the first Martinez season.

So probably 18 months worth of enjoyment in 10 years. I’ve never seen us win a trophy, I’ve travelled to the maddest places and my return is this.

Truth is, I love football so I numb my Everton woe by going across Europe watching football (mainly Köln), so I can still enjoy football, without the disappointment.

But Everton are a bit like that troubled family member at the moment. You love them, but they’re a basket case and there’s no saving them… but you don’t walk away, it’s in your bloody. The bizarre thing is Everton probably will be the biggest constant in peoples lives in here.

It’s all we’ve ever known, you can’t walk away.

9D904D7E-91CC-42D4-B821-DD613EF5D016.png

‘Why do you keep supporting everton?’

A 5 star debut novel by ex writer of the economist Clive Azul - ghost written by Trevor Azul. @chicoazul

‘Clive Azul proves again there is no depth of the human heart that he can’t reach ( J K Rowling)

‘Unmatched horror from the master of the game’ (Stephen King)

‘Made me question my entire existence’ (Bill Kenwright)

‘Made me punch a horse in despair’ (Newcastle fan)

‘So shocking I threw my Fanta everywhere’
(Fanta scruff)

Available in all good bookstores…and the hot wok.

Status
Not open for further replies.