Wildlife in your Garden

Was watching several bats flying about over the garden this evening. First time I have seen them this year. Will no doubt be seeing them regularly for a while now.
Last year I woke up on the couch in the living room after being called out for a fault in work during the night. There was a dead bat on the floor by the door leading to the garden.

Only explanation was that I must of kicked it in and not noticed when was having a bifter through the night. Guessing it died flying into the door.

Love this thread and it seems been neglected for a while.
Nesting season now so I'm sure there will be plenty posters with birds nests in their gardens.
Currently got a Robin building a nest in an old plant pot that's wedged between the shed and fence. Also been watching a Blackbird in and out of the bushes with nesting material this morning. No signs yet of either of my two nest boxes being occupied although they have in recent years been used variously by House Sparrows, Tree sparrows and Blue Tits.
Still have hopes for the nest boxes and will try to get pictures of the Robin and Blackbird in the next few days.
That will be nice: I Always thought he was a bit Underappreciated with Batman...

My dad's uncle used to live in Mossley Hill & he had a family of tortoises living in the garden. They are wonderful creatures, I was fascinated by them as a child.

We don't have tortoises in Australia only turtles. Equally fascinating, but there is something about tortoises I prefer.

Last year I woke up on the couch in the living room after being called out for a fault in work during the night. There was a dead bat on the floor by the door leading to the garden.

Only explanation was that I must of kicked it in and not noticed when was having a bifter through the night. Guessing it died flying into the door.
Well well well. Takes a certain kind of person to boot a bat.

Love this thread and it seems been neglected for a while.
Nesting season now so I'm sure there will be plenty posters with birds nests in their gardens.
Currently got a Robin building a nest in an old plant pot that's wedged between the shed and fence. Also been watching a Blackbird in and out of the bushes with nesting material this morning. No signs yet of either of my two nest boxes being occupied although they have in recent years been used variously by House Sparrows, Tree sparrows and Blue Tits.
Still have hopes for the nest boxes and will try to get pictures of the Robin and Blackbird in the next few days.
The Robin is currently sitting on eggs and seems OK with me going in and out of the shed. Because of where the nest is it is difficult to get a photograph without disturbing her which I obviously don't want to do. As I said, the nest is in an old plant pot that I wedged into a gap between the shed and the concrete fence. For obvious reasons I don't want to use flash, but you can just about make her out hunkering down in there.
IMG_1521.webp
Haven't seen the female Blackbird for a few days and it's possible that she too is sitting on eggs. Her nest is in a dense bush and is not visible without parting the bush.
Still nothing in the two nest boxes yet.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back