Wildlife in your Garden

It’s not just Wood Pigeons, they’re totally adapting to urban life, feeding off pigeons and all manner of urban birds and using tall buildings for nesting.
Oh they'll take anything mate.

But just walk up the shoreline near the open farmland , there's Woodpigeon everywhere .
It's like an open smorgasbord for them , and they don't have to work too hard for a meal.

More than a bit worried about the safety of the Robins nest. Although it is pretty inaccessable to Sparrowhawks and maybe even too enclosed for Magpies or Jays to reach, I've seen a Great Woodpecker spending an inordinate amount of time sat on the fence.
I'm pretty sure that it has spotted the Robin incubating her eggs. I suspect that it will take either the eggs or the chicks whenever it gets the chance.

More than a bit worried about the safety of the Robins nest. Although it is pretty inaccessable to Sparrowhawks and maybe even too enclosed for Magpies or Jays to reach, I've seen a Great Woodpecker spending an inordinate amount of time sat on the fence.
I'm pretty sure that it has spotted the Robin incubating her eggs. I suspect that it will take either the eggs or the chicks whenever it gets the chance.
So far so good with the nest. ;) The Robin occasionally leaves for 2 or 3 minutes (presumably to feed and stretch her wings) I managed to have a quick look and I can see that there are 4 or possibly 5 eggs.
The woodpecker was here again this morning, but only visited the feeders and appeared to show no further interest in the nest, so hopefully I was wrong and it hadn't spotted it. 🤞
I'm pretty sure that the female Blackbird is also sat on eggs just about 5 yards from the Robin nest.

New addition aptly named ring-necked snake

View attachment 209677
cousin of 'wring neck snake'?
ad3f1da28ef43e7e82aa0100c8e2ec9fY29udGVudHNlYXJjaGFwaSwxNjgyMTgyMTUw-2.70559351.jpg

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back