Wildlife in your Garden

I let the dog out into the back garden this morning. A minute or so later I looked through the window and noticed feathers everywhere.
Under the bushes I found a pigeon carcass, intact but minus the head and half plucked. It had obviously been freshly killed.
If it was the victim of a sparrowhawk I would have expected it to be out in the open, but because it was under the bushes and it was also missing it's head I'm guessing the predator was a cat. The dog presumably interupted proceedings.
That post was from last August.
This morning I found another decapitated bird in the garden under very similar circumstances. This time a female blackbird. :eek: It's quite possibly the one that had been nesting in the garden. :(
I immediately checked the Robins nest and luckily that appears to be undisturbed and the chicks are still in there.
Again I can only assume that a goddamn cat was the culprit :rant:
The Robin chicks should be due to fledge in 3 or 4 days time but will not be capable of proper flight for 3 or 4 days after that.
Those first few days will be fraught with danger as it is (I've fished dead Blue Tit chicks out of the pond in previous years) They are going to need a lot of luck to survive.🤞

An usual one for me, a ground hog was walking around part of my deck with a younger ground hog in its mouth (presumably its infant, though it was bigger than an infant). It even tried to come in through the glass door.

IMG_0759.webp
IMG_0763.webp

Then I went for a stroll in my yard and saw this turtle...
IMG_0765.webp

Then when I was getting in my car, I saw this black rat snake, a small-to-medium one in the car port. I love these snakes as they keep mice out of my house.

IMG_0767.webp

IMG_1587.JPG
5 Robin chicks.
Just been checking up and apparently they don't fledge for two full weeks after hatching.
This is now day 11 (I think) since I found the shell that the female removed from the nest, so still a few days to go yet.
They will be at their most vulnerable in the first days after fledging as they are unable to fly properly for the first 2 or 3 days . . . but so far, so good.

Day 13 since hatching.
For the first time I can see that there are in fact SIX Robin chicks. ;)
View attachment 210837

Robins are the best.

My dad`s got a house in N Wales and there`s a Robin, that comes in through the garden patio doors and stands on the kitchen table, waiting for him to feed it something.

If the door isn`t open, it taps on the window to be let in lol

UNBELIEVABLE! lol
About a fortnight ago I was laughing as I watched a Great Tit going mad at at it's own reflection in the wing mirror of my parked car. The following day there was loads of bird sh*t all down both sides underneath the wing mirrors. I really thought no more about it until I decided to check my oil today.
When I opened the bonnet I found I found a mass of dry grass and moss on the engine. It had obviously attempted nesting there, but luckily the car is used on a daily basis and the nest was unfinished.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back