Wildlife in your Garden

Report it to the Barn Owl Trust mate.

They record all sightings alive and dead, so they can work out numbers and whether they’re going up or down.

Sadly cars are the biggest killers of adult Barn Owls after bad weather.
Funnily enough I was thinking about owls this morning. Live in south Liverpool and when I was young, a long time ago, I frequently saw owls. Not seen an owl in years

Funnily enough I was thinking about owls this morning. Live in south Liverpool and when I was young, a long time ago, I frequently saw owls. Not seen an owl in years

They’re still there mate.

Tawny Owls in the parks.

Barn Owls / Little Owls in Hale.

Short Eared Owls on the shore in the Winter.

It helps if you know where they’re likely to be and even then you hardly ever get to see them !

They’re still there mate.

Tawny Owls in the parks.

Barn Owls / Little Owls in Hale.

Short Eared Owls on the shore in the Winter.

It helps if you know where they’re likely to be and even then you hardly ever get to see them !
Only ever once seen a long eared owl and a little owl.
The others were more common where I used to live.

Only ever once seen a long eared owl and a little owl.
The others were more common where I used to live.

Never seen a Long Eared, but heard them in the pine woods around Formby - sound like someone blowing into an empty milk bottle !

Little Owls are more common than you think, it‘s just that they’re really easy to overlook, as they’re so small and really easy to miss with being really well camouflaged- best place is normally sat on top of a telephone phone pole in flat farmland.

Last edited:
Never seen a Long Eared, but heard them in the pine woods around Formby - sound like someone blowing into an empty milk bottle !

Little Owls are more common than you think, it‘s just that they’re really easy to overlook, as they’re so small and really easy to miss with being realky well camouflaged- best place is normally sat on top of a telephone phone pole in flat farmland.
That sounds a bit uncomfortable for bird watching. lol

Land is super cheap in the middle of the US. Iowa to be exact. I grew up in Minneapolis and my garden would be at least 3 times more expensive.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back