Wildlife in your Garden

Boss that, where are/were you mate?
Just back from Lalisos near Rhodes Town.
These were nesting in the corridors of the hotel which were in open blocks within the gardens.
The hotel obviously tolerates them.
Apart from being a little noisy first thing in the morning they didn't bother us, it was good to see them close up.
If there was ever any mess we didn't see it, the hotel was spotless.

Just back from Lalisos near Rhodes Town.
These were nesting in the corridors of the hotel which were in open blocks within the gardens.
The hotel obviously tolerates them.
Apart from being a little noisy first thing in the morning they didn't bother us, it was good to see them close up.
If there was ever any mess we didn't see it, the hotel was spotless.
Ace that, there were swallows nesting in Croatia where we were last year.
In other news, our blue tits are still feeding their young. It's 16 days since I took the pics up above, and they had been feeding them for at least a day before that. So I expect them to be doing the offski any day now. I'll be blubbing like Tony Soprano when his ducks left.

Corrr... don't think we've ever had 2 tbh
I was surprised when it first happened a few years ago, I've even taken the nest out as soon as the first lot have fledged to get rid of parasites etc. and they quickly replaced it.
Obviously don't know if it's the same pair and have no idea if it's common.
I'm very much an amateur at this sort of thing, just enjoy seeing wildlife close at hand and giving them a helping hand where I can.
I enjoy this thread and look forward to seeing the many varied and interesting posts from you guys.

I was surprised when it first happened a few years ago, I've even taken the nest out as soon as the first lot have fledged to get rid of parasites etc. and they quickly replaced it.
Obviously don't know if it's the same pair and have no idea if it's common.
I'm very much an amateur at this sort of thing, just enjoy seeing wildlife close at hand and giving them a helping hand where I can.
I enjoy this thread and look forward to seeing the many varied and interesting posts from you guys.
Yes mate it's common for them to use the same site more than once, but rare that they would reuse a nest. You did the right thing in taking the old nest out. ;) That's my job for this afternoon, although I may replace the nest boxes with some new ones as they have been there for about 5 years now.

Ace that, there were swallows nesting in Croatia where we were last year.
In other news, our blue tits are still feeding their young. It's 16 days since I took the pics up above, and they had been feeding them for at least a day before that. So I expect them to be doing the offski any day now. I'll be blubbing like Tony Soprano when his ducks left.

As mentioned above, make sure you clear the box out when they leave too, as there’s usually a couple of unhatched eggs and possibly dead chicks too.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back