Wildlife in your Garden

Saw a Red Kite this morning swirling around on the the thermals over Allerton Golf Course.

I’m assuming it’ll be a juvenile from last year, as it’s peak breeding season and to the best of my knowledge, they aren’t nesting around here yet !
I saw a small group of Lapwings in the field where I walk the dog this morning. I was made up to see them, but then felt sad as I can remember as a child (60 years ago) in that same field regularly seeing huge flocks of them. (We called them Peewits when I was a kid)
Googled them when I got home and found that they are now 'red listed' and numbers have dropped by 50% in the last 40 years alone mainly due to pesticides and other changes in farming practices. :(

I saw a small group of Lapwings in the field where I walk the dog this morning. I was made up to see them, but then felt sad as I can remember as a child (60 years ago) in that same field regularly seeing huge flocks of them. (We called them Peewits when I was a kid)
Googled them when I got home and found that they are now 'red listed' and numbers have dropped by 50% in the last 40 years alone mainly due to pesticides and other changes in farming practices. :(

So so many have all but gone the same way.

Yellow Hammers and Skylark used to be everywhere.

I still see the odd skylark, but haven’t seen a yellow hammer in decades ☹️

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back